01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do I really need the latest tech or can I have a reasonable system on a budget?

AndyVader

Hi All. I am looking at installing a new system at home, probably Hikvision based upon recommendation from a friend who likes their interface. Up to 8 cameras, although starting with 2 or 3 for now. Usual coverage will be target: front and back of house, one inside, and maybe inside a shed as well. All cameras will be connected to various switches that are all Cat6 connected back to hub. NVR will also connect to a switch.

I note that going for the latest models seems to be the usual recommendation but do I really need that? Surely what was good enough several years ago will still work and suit my needs? I only want basic elements, with I guess 4mp cameras and maybe 2 weeks storage and want to do it on as best as possible budget.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you

Hi All. I am looking at installing a new system at home, probably Hikvision based upon recommendation from a friend who likes their interface. Up to 8 cameras, although starting with 2 or 3 for now. Usual coverage will be target: front and back of house, one inside, and maybe inside a shed as well. All cameras will be connected to various switches that are all Cat6 connected back to hub. NVR will also connect to a switch.

I note that going for the latest models seems to be the usual recommendation but do I really need that? Surely what was good enough several years ago will still work and suit my needs? I only want basic elements, with I guess 4mp cameras and maybe 2 weeks storage and want to do it on as best as possible budget.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you
The main reason for wanting the latest tends to be due to ColorVu as people want 24/7 colour (though this has disadvantages, as without sufficient light a slow shutter speed is needed) and AcuSense which provides filtering of events to show only human and/or vehicle - it's good but it's not perfect. The other advantage with the new models is low light capability - the current 4MP and 8MP AcuSense cameras have the same specifications with regard to minimum illumination, as the 8MP has a larger sensor to compensate.

If you don't need AcuSense there are some older models that are good. The only issue is that (unlike above) the low light capabilities reduce with the increase in resolution. For instance there's both a 2 megapixel and 4 megapixel dark fighter turret still available but the 4 megapixel model does not perform as well as the 2 megapixel model in low light. I rate the older DS-2CD2325FWD-I (2 megapixel version) turret highly and still have a couple installed. If you're on a budget I'd recommend them. If you position your cameras to capture what you want, rather than trying to capture everything with a single camera (and hoping to digitally zoom in to check someones nostril hair) you won't be disappointed.

Hi @AndyVader

This should help too, it explains what the AcuSense and ColorVu features on the newest cameras are (EasyIP 4.0), and what features were introduced with the earlier ranges:

We normally recommend the EasyIP 3.0 cameras as the best for a cost-effective solution (like the DS-2CD2325FWD-I suggested by JB).

Thanks guys for the answers. Regarding the main box, I started out thinking I could get a basic cheaper (older ?) 4ch unit now, and then if I do expand get another 4ch unit at a later date which could be a higher end / newer model that can take additional features if and when I need them. Is that worth considering? I know it would probably work out more expensive in the end, but does mean I can explore as I go along and not buy features I may never use/need.

So you have two options for the NVRs - the "K-Series" and "I-Series". To run any cameras that are EasyIP 4.0 or newer, you will need an I-Series model.

However, you only have one option for a 4 channel unit, which is a K-Series - DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) - this will work well for you if you're happy to only use EasyIP 3.0 cameras, but is not compatible with some of the newer features, specifically AcuSense (no 4 channel recorder is).

However, as you say, the higher-spec I-Series recorder can take more features - these are what we recommend if you plan to add AcuSense, ColorVu, or high resolution (8MP+) cameras at some point in the future.

The smallest I-Series recorder is the 8 channel DS-7608NI-I2-8P, so it would end up being more expensive than you've probably anticipated if you decide to upgrade to a more futureproof NVR at a later date, which is why we recommend the I-Series recorders most new setups. There's some more on why we recommend these now in these posts too:

Back