01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) powerline issue after update

Wavey

Morning, I am fairly new to this technology. I inherited a DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) PVR with 2 x DS2CD21555FWD-IS, which was a professionally installed system. Looking on this site it seemed prudent to update the firmware to the latest I could find, even though the system was working perfectly well (if it ain't broke don't fix it right?) Any way I followed the steps of jumping through progressive releases of the firmware which all went fine. I also did the cameras.

The cameras are connected to a POE switch, which feeds into the the powerline in the garage which feeds the NVR in the house. I am pretty sure the powerline circuit is fine - its been working for a long time in this way.

The issue is that I now can see 1 of the cameras, the other says "No Link". If I move the network connection between the ports on the back of the NVR it will seemingly chose one of the cameras to display, and very occasionally I will get both working for a short moment. After trawling for answers I am left scratching my head, though I suspect this is probably something simple so would be grateful for any ideas.

Failing that I was going to either place the NVR in the garage where the (2 cameras are) or reinstall from scratch

Grateful for any pointers

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
As you say, it seems unlikely that the Powerline has suddenly decided to let you down after updating the firmware on your Hikvision devices.
You could throw-in a long temporary network cable to check whether all is well with a cable in place instead of the powerline devices.

What does SADP show you now, after the updates?
I'd expect the NVR and the cameras to each have relevant IP addresses (correct within your domain range).

Upvote 0
As you say, it seems unlikely that the Powerline has suddenly decided to let you down after updating the firmware on your Hikvision devices.
You could throw-in a long temporary network cable to check whether all is well with a cable in place instead of the powerline devices.

What does SADP show you now, after the updates?
I'd expect the NVR and the cameras to each have relevant IP addresses (correct within your domain range).
Thanks for the reply Phil. I dont have SADP as the NVR is yet to be connected to the home network (that was the next step). I will take your advice and plug the nvr in the garage bypassing the powerline and see how that goes. I was thinking that if I saved the settings and did a full reset and then restore that may also be an idea?

Thanks Steve

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a process of working through the possibilities.
Sometimes "switching it off and on again" after updates can be all that is needed :)
Working your way up to a reset/restore/re-config.

Are/were the cameras on the home network?
I guess probably not.

Which leads me to think you probably have a powerline link from a camera port on the NVR to a POE switch in the garage with two cameras connected?
If so, that is definitely 'working on a wing and a prayer' territory - as you'll likely struggle to set and hold camera IP addresses with that arrangement.

If you can live with the NVR ending-up in the garage, better to plug each camera into a camera port in the rear of the NVR and use the Powerline gadgets to connect the NVR's LAN port to your home router / network / LAN.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a process of working through the possibilities.
Sometimes "switching it off and on again" after updates can be all that is needed :)
Working your way up to a reset/restore/re-config.

Are/were the cameras on the home network?
I guess probably not.

Which leads me to think you probably have a powerline link from a camera port on the NVR to a POE switch in the garage with two cameras connected?
If so, that is definitely 'working on a wing and a prayer' territory - as you'll likely struggle to set and hold camera IP addresses with that arrangement.

If you can live with the NVR ending-up in the garage, better to plug each camera into a camera port in the rear of the NVR and use the Powerline gadgets to connect the NVR's LAN port to your home router / network / LAN.
No its a stand alone system that the previous owners paid a good amount to have installed professionally. Phase 2 of my "upgrade" was to get it connected to the home network. I will try a few things out and see how it goes. Appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
No its a stand alone system that the previous owners paid a good amount to have installed professionally. Phase 2 of my "upgrade" was to get it connected to the home network. I will try a few things out and see how it goes. Appreciate the help.
So by way of an update, plugging the nvr directly into the Hikvision POE switch change nothing but plug the cameras into the NVR both cameras worked and I can view with the feed via the app on the network. So left scratching my head why it would be a switch issue.

Upvote 0
It's all to do with establishing devices at distinct IP addresses on your network.
When you connect the cameras each to a camera port on the rear of the NVR it knows where they are / issues them each with an IP address in the sub-network that the NVR manages.

Upvote 0
Back