01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Turret Cameras With Built-In Microphones

Emma Hedges

Turret cameras with built-in microphones are finally here. This is what we know about the anticipated range of -IU, Hikvision Turret Cameras featuring built-in microphones.

Why is a built in microphone useful?

Including the ability to record sound as well as video is a great way of adding an extra depth of security to your CCTV system.

Video evidence is of course useful for many aspects of security, whether that be monitoring the live footage of an area, watching out for potential hazards or assessing recorded footage of a previous incident.

In many cases such as robberies or violent attacks it is important to be able to capture the subject's face in order to identify them as quickly as possible. With turret cameras such as Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP Turret Network Camera providing high image quality both day and night, this will not be a problem.

However, with the addition of a microphone even more evidence can potentially be obtained. The microphone could help identify names of suspects, it could pick up confessions or perhaps pick up the next planned destination of a missing person.

Previously, if you needed to add a microphone to your device it would have to be added via a 3rd party device, meaning extra costs, extra mounting space required and possible compatibility issues, all of this can be forgotten now that the microphone is built-in.

Hikvision claim that the microphone can pick up sounds up to 5 meters away (depending on the environment). This makes it ideal for places such as small offices, reception areas, waiting rooms, garages and small shops.

If you have, or are looking to purchase a Hikvision Turret Camera with a built-in microphone, please feel free to visit our recent post Setting up Live View & Playback Audio on Hikvision Cameras for help on getting started.

Recommendations

Our first recommendation is the DS-2CD2383G0-IU, an 8MP turret camera with IR range of up to 30m, features such as WDR and BLC, H.265+ Codec and 2688 x 1520 @ 30fps resolution. This camera is available in all three focal lengths, 2.8mm, 4mm and 6mm.

If you are looking to keep costs down, the camera is also available in a 4MP option - DS-2CD2343G0-IU.

Finally, we have just added the Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU 8MP AcuSense Turret Network Camera With Built-In Microphone to use-IP. Right now it’s available with a 2.8mm focal length but we do have 4mm and 6mm on their way this spring. The AcuSense cameras are designed to filter and reduce false alarms, triggered by wildlife, rain or foliage.

Limitations

As mentioned previously, the microphone's ability to pick up sound is dependent on the surrounding environment, meaning that it is unlikely to be able to pick up conversations in busy areas such as bus stations, busy warehouses and larger shops.

The size of the camera heavily depicts the size of the microphone, there simply isn’t the space for a large microphone that can pick up lower levels of sound, or higher quality audio recordings.

‘Powered by Darkfighter’ cameras are commonly found in the Easy IP 3.0 range, which currently does not feature any turret cameras with built-in microphones. If a powered by Darkfighter model is what you are looking for, but you still want to remain with the Easy IP 3.0 range, did you know that the -IS mini domes also feature a built in microphone? Take a look at the Hikvision DS-2CD2545FWD-IS 4MP IR Fixed Mini Dome Network Camera for example.

What does the future hold?

We are hoping to see more options of turrets with built-in microphones become available, especially within the Easy IP 3.0 range. However, right now it looks like Hikvision are focusing on the Easy IP 2.0+ range of cameras.

The great news is that it looks like there will be more ‘built-in microphone models’ available within the new G2 Easy IP 4.0 AcuSense range that has just been announced. We are very keen to get hold of these as soon as we can so watch this space!

Here at use-IP we can't wait to get our hands on the cameras ourselves for testing. We have new videos to add to our YouTube channel in the pipeline, and testing out the built-in microphone is a top priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emma,

Boy do Hikvision want us to suffer during selection of their cams! Now, I am looking at the two turrets above. Is the DS-2C2386G2-IU the same as the DS-2CD2386G2-IU? Also, further on the obtuse naming convention. Why do USEIP remove the braces around the -L(U) cams, so that they cannot be found during a search using said Hikvision obtuse naming conventions? And, do you have an up to date naming guide to help poor designers and installers travel this maze and save their sanity?

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

The DS-2CD2386G2-IU is the most up to date option for Hikvision turrets with a built-in microphone.

At use-IP we don't change the naming convention. The brackets refer to a "with or without" option.

So for instance, the U means built-in microphone.

The Hikvision datasheet and website will name the product DS-2CD2386G2-I(U) as the spec is the same for both options, with the only difference being highlighted by the brackets.

We list the items separately on the website to minimize the chance of the wrong item being ordered, see below:

Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-I 8MP AcuSense Turret Network Camera

Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU 8MP AcuSense Turret Network Camera With Built-In Microphone

If you are specifically looking for a product with a microphone then you would need to purchase the model ending -IU

Unfortunately there is not yet an up-to-date naming guide for Hikvision, but it is something that I am working on.

I hope this helps.

Emma

Thank you Emma,

I look forward to seeing an up to date guide to the Hik naming convention. As for Hik cams with strobe. Can the strobe be controlled. E.G turned off?

Hik colorvue cams. Can the LED be dimmed, or is that permanently on at night?

Thanks again

Regards

Michael

Hi @mkerton

You can adjust the brightness of the LEDs on the ColorVu models, as well as set them to turn on/off on a timed schedule. Alternatively, they can be set to only switch on when required (the camera detects the light level is too low to generate a colour image), which is usually recommended.

You can also disable the strobe/audible warnings on those cameras which have it, so they won't activate during event periods.

Hope that answers your questions :)

Hi all

planning on having four alarm cameras, how can the alarm be disabled?

1. assume done via the app?
  2. do you have to have an NVR? Going to get one just wondered
  3. what if one of the kids come home and I’m in a meeting and can’t access my phone, how do they turn it off?
  4. four family members, can everyone have the app for the cameras?
  5. is it possible to have a key fob or external keypad?

cheers

Being able to grab the audio as well as the visuals is a huge help. As mentioned, you can pick up a lot more evidence from trouble makers because nine times out of ten, they don't know that audio is being recorded.

Back