01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Issue with playback failing from certain time

darkmanx

Strange problem I got my cameras and NVR setup a couple of days ago and everything worked fine, recording playback emails for motion detection and remote viewing via the HikConnect App.

Last night I got a couple of alerts and was able to view them on Playback in the app and also via a Browser. Then from around 7am in the morning I cannot view the recordings either in the App, via a browser or when actually downloading the file itself and playing back on the PC. It says video not supported in VLC and on the browser the video just remains black.

Rebooting the cameras made no difference they came back on and started recording but again could not view the playback. So this time I rebooted the NVR and when it comes back on it's recording and viewable again for a minute or two then the same happens.

I've only had them connected less than 2 days and this weird issue is occuring. Can anyone recommend anything?

Regards

Currently running V3.4.95 build 170626 on the NVR - DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P
and on the cameras DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 - V5.4.5 build 170124 on the 2 cameras.

Didn't check at first if there were any updates at all, maybe should have done that before. Will I lose any config if updating the firmware on everything?

That's great many thanks I'll try upgrading the firmware later.

I checked at lunchtime and cannot view the recordings directly on the NVR either.

I did notice the Status LED was blinking red but could not find any errors and not sure if this is just normal operation or if there is a problem.

OK managed to update both the NVR and camera's firmware remotely and all up to date now. It seems to exibit the same issues. It works for a minute then stops again. Live view is working fine but playback halts.

Thinking about it it seemed to work fine all through the night and upto the point when sunrise hit is the period where it stopped working properly. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not. Camera's are set to Auto for the IR settings

Hmm - the mention of sunrise gave me that sense of deja vu:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/unable-to-playback-recordings-from-nvr.1236/

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if we resolved that thread.

Are your cameras POE powered from your NVR?
Which App are you using please? Sorry, I see you say HikConnect in your first Post
Have you configured remote access from / via the Hik-Connect portal?
Any other cameras involved?
Cable lengths please?

Just to clarify, you can always view the live video from the cameras?
It's just that at some times they do not record?
Or does the video feed actually drop too?

Have you got Virtual Host enabled?
Can you see the video feed at a browser tab for the camera?
Is that still the case when the problem occurs?
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/tutorial-using-a-hikvision-nvrs-virtual-host-feature.610/

Hi Phil

Yes POE plugged directly into NVR
Yes configured via HikConnect portal
Just 2 of the cameras previously mentioned
Cable lengths one 10m another probably 15 at the most

Can view live feed from HikConnect yes but noticed when remote controlling my PC at home it does not always work
In the recording I can see the blue bar which would indicate it's recording but cannot view it, it just stays black or in the hik connect app says network unstable but when viewing the playback from the night it plays fine.

Have got virtual host enabled
Although strangely I cannot see the link anymore even though the option is enabled seems like the output is cut off in the browser

I've connected in iVMS and gone to devices and it says recording status "no recording" despite the schedule set to continuously record for all hours of everyday.

Wondering if the advanced motion detect I've setup is somehow overwriting the recording schedule settings but strange it seems to work at night....

Hmm - the mention of sunrise gave me that sense of deja vu:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/unable-to-playback-recordings-from-nvr.1236/

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if we resolved that thread.

Are your cameras POE powered from your NVR?
Which App are you using please? Sorry, I see you say HikConnect in your first Post
Have you configured remote access from / via the Hik-Connect portal?
Any other cameras involved?
Cable lengths please?

Just to clarify, you can always view the live video from the cameras?
It's just that at some times they do not record?
Or does the video feed actually drop too?

Have you got Virtual Host enabled?
Can you see the video feed at a browser tab for the camera?
Is that still the case when the problem occurs?
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/tutorial-using-a-hikvision-nvrs-virtual-host-feature.610/

Have you entered all of the required network settings please?

Esp. Gateway and DNS

network settings 6-2-18.png

Yes network settings all OK. I think I may have found the problem.

Although really not sure why it would work at night but not during the day, on connecting directly to the Camera's web interface and checking the storage settings on there the schedule was set to record all hours of each day based on event and were purple and not continuous. In the NVR's web interface both cameras were set to continuous and were blue so for some reason it seems the cameras settings had changed and not taken on the NVR's settings.

I think when I set up smart alerts I left the trigger channel ticked when all I wanted was an email/push alert so this maybe overwritten the settings but during the night it worked perfectly?!

Now have a problem seeing the camera's in live view via IE11 it says camera stream is encrypted so it looks like some other setting has gone amiss.

Edit - sorted the Encryption just needed to retype in the web interface and that's showing Live view now. Think I'm just about there now will just need to test the download of the file to make sure that plays once downloaded as that did not work earlier but I don't think it was recording properly now looking back.

Last edited:
hi. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I seem to be having the same issue (ie. no ability to playback between sunrise and sunset) but this is will an all new camera/NVR set up.

Do I just need to go into the camera configuration and check what the settings are for recording ?

Was there ever an answer on this other than logging in directly to the camera and verifying the storage schedule was the same on both camera and NVR? (of which I've done and they're both the same)

I have the exact same issue and pulling my hair out!

Hi,
I don't feel we ever have got to the bottom of this.
I felt it was most likely to do with ISP/uplinks/MTUs - some site specific detail.
It is a thing, it has been mentioned by many.
I suspect it is associated with colour video data using greater bandwidth.
But is NOT seen by thousands of others.

Effectively, we need those of you who do experience the problem to fill out a form/provide all your details and find the common denominator - I'm not sure how best to facilitate that.
Cannot see daytime colour video from Hikvision 2-4-19

NB - only applies to remote viewing with the App on a mobile or tablet.
If you are having problems viewing locally on a PC, please start a new thread and describe.

I'm having the same problem I can only playback on the Hikconnect app in the hours of darkness. When daylight breaks I cannot view the playback.Live viewing works perfect.

I spoke to Hikvision support about this same issue, and it looked like the NVR was struggling with the data (maybe H.256+ encoding too intensive for the cpu?). Especially when there was movement in the image.

Even though I'm running a gigabit network with CAT6 shielded to each device) and upgraded the network router to a dual core high bandwidth router, there was always an issue.

The best solution that seemed to work was to set frame rate at 15fps reduce the max bitrate to 4,096 (or lower), reduce average bitrate and reduce the video quality to 'medium'. But this did reduce the quality.

I was having same issue. Could playback night vision remotely but anything in colour would just timeout. Live stream in colour would work.
This morning I changed my video encoding from H.264 to H.265 with Max. Bitrate of 4096. Resolution is at 3072x2048 with video quality set to Higher. Main Stream, 20fps.
Don’t won’t to jump the gun but playback appears to be working during the day over both WiFi and 4g. Hopefully it keeps working for me and helps you out.

With highest quality & bitrate settings, a static image playback is fine, but once there's movement, it freezes and sometimes playback is missing. Hence the reason to drop the quality, however when you payback an image, you can see blurry pixels due to the compression level. Hence my mission to record the highest possible image quality (not worried about storage size).

Yes, your settings are similar settings that I have running on my 6mp camera. However the 8mp freezes too much on 20fps, and 'higher/highest' quality. I've switched off WDR and any other image enhancing settings. With H.265+, ideally we should be able to have max bitrate and highest compression as the network should cope, I mean why have those settings if you can't use them. I have wondered if its the CPU on the NVR that may be the bottleneck here? I'd love to put an overclocked intel i7 cpu in there LOL

It looks like it may be a data transfer issue as the freeze issue still happens when I am within the same network (using Hik-Connect App on iPad, iPhone), it appears much worse when I connect from outside the network (i.e. 4G, WiFi from another network).

If I'm within the same network, I can add the same camera to the Hik-Connect app but this time access the camera via local IP (i.e. 192.168.0.105) rather than via a Hik-Cconnect Cloud connection (online device), then the response rate for playback (and live view) is amazingly quick as it pulls the data directly off the NVR the data freeze issue is less prominent (I need more testing on this). I assume using the camera with Hik-Connect Cloud must route through external servers.

I have 10Mb Upload and 40Mb download on the fibre broadband, so I assumed that broadband shouldn't be the factor here.

If I get a chance I'll try opening a port on my router and connect directly to my router using the static IP. Then connect via 4G to the router to see if there's an improvement in the lag and playback freeze issue. I can compare a External Static IP vs Hik-Connect cloud vs Internal IP connection to see if the issue is with the connection method.

With highest quality & bitrate settings, a static image playback is fine, but once there's movement, it freezes and sometimes playback is missing. Hence the reason to drop the quality, however when you payback an image, you can see blurry pixels due to the compression level. Hence my mission to record the highest possible image quality (not worried about storage size).

Yes, your settings are similar settings that I have running on my 6mp camera. However the 8mp freezes too much on 20fps, and 'higher/highest' quality. I've switched off WDR and any other image enhancing settings. With H.265+, ideally we should be able to have max bitrate and highest compression as the network should cope, I mean why have those settings if you can't use them. I have wondered if its the CPU on the NVR that may be the bottleneck here? I'd love to put an overclocked intel i7 cpu in there LOL

It looks like it may be a data transfer issue as the freeze issue still happens when I am within the same network (using Hik-Connect App on iPad, iPhone), it appears much worse when I connect from outside the network (i.e. 4G, WiFi from another network).

If I'm within the same network, I can add the same camera to the Hik-Connect app but this time access the camera via local IP (i.e. 192.168.0.105) rather than via a Hik-Cconnect Cloud connection (online device), then the response rate for playback (and live view) is amazingly quick as it pulls the data directly off the NVR the data freeze issue is less prominent (I need more testing on this). I assume using the camera with Hik-Connect Cloud must route through external servers.

I have 10Mb Upload and 40Mb download on the fibre broadband, so I assumed that broadband shouldn't be the factor here.

If I get a chance I'll try opening a port on my router and connect directly to my router using the static IP. Then connect via 4G to the router to see if there's an improvement in the lag and playback freeze issue. I can compare a External Static IP vs Hik-Connect cloud vs Internal IP connection to see if the issue is with the connection method.

Just a little more info for you, I downloaded the IVMS-4500 app for iPhone to see if that had any difference. When hik-connect wouldn’t playback daytime footage, the IVMS-4500 would! So not sure if IVMS-4500 requests/receives a lower quality image.
I could only get the IVMS-4500 app to work when on the local network though so pointless for when you are away.

Yes, I have tested both and iVMS-4500 on the iPad is more stable. But it still has playback issues. iPhone app has also more stable playback, but is does seem to request (or display) a lower res image as pinch to zoom is not as detailed as on the iPad. I'm also running iVMS-4200 on the Mac in work and playback is also an issue there.

For now Ive set the video quality quite low, and haven't tested it this week, only because in this hot weather we tend to have more break-ins so I need the reliability for the next week. I will be testing it soon as possible as I'm curious about finding the cause and for an 8mp camera, it should be sharp.

It was a year ago that I shared this footage to the Wales Online newspaper and the guy got caught https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/man-tries-break-peoples-homes-14826053 (he already had 97 convictions!!!) and a couple of weeks ago, during the storm, there were more attempted break-ins. So I'm keen to have the best recording.

I have 7608ni-k2/8p hikvision nvr and daytime playback worked with 4 hikvision (three 4mp and one 8mp) poe cameras then when I added a 5th camera (8mp hikvision poe) daytime playback on Hik-connect stopped working... unplugged 5th camera and daytime playback started working again.
Switched one of the 4mp out.... (to have two x 4mp + two 8mp) and daytime playback still works on hik-connect.... either my symptoms are due to
a) number of cameras greater than 4
OR
b) the total size of video feed quality
OR
c) some combination of a&b
I do not have any more cameras to test further but thought this might be useful to some of you who have reported similar issues with daylight playback through hik-connect.

Back