01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP CCTV Forum for IP Video, network cameras & CCTV software

Dan
Dan
Hi @3xposureofficial

was it the same cable when you tested on the patch panel as when you plugged it on the bracket?
How long is the cable run to the camera?
What camera/NVR/DVR models do you have?
3xposureofficial
3xposureofficial
Hi Dan, thanks for coming back. Same cable, when tested on a basic cable tester, all strands are connected and pass test. Run is 10 meters. 2 other cameras are working no issue. NVR is DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) and the cameras are DS-2CD2145FWD-I

I am inclined to run a new cable, but it will be hassle, and if the camera is working and the cable is tested working, then I'm not sure that's the issue?...
Dan
Dan
Have you tried hard resetting the camera when reconnecting it to the NVR?

If you hard reset the camera it should be activated with a subnet address when you connect it to the NVR.
3xposureofficial
3xposureofficial
I will give this a go but I did try another camera I had laying around and that too failed to connect. It all leads me to believe the cable is at fault but when its tested and working okay I just am not sure at all, especially when I first plugged in the camera and it was actually working on this same cable.
Dan
Dan
Unless you have a very high-end, expensive cable tester the results you get from a cable tester can be very unreliable as they only send a very simple signal that is far less complicated than the power/data signal that the camera actually sends. If the reset doesn't work then you may need to replace the cable.
3xposureofficial
3xposureofficial
Yeah okay, sounds about right. If it was an easy cable swap out I would have done that already and was trying to avoid it but I think you are right.

One other question. I installed a family members CCTV (Hikvision) but intermittently the cameras drop out, sometimes for a minute and other times for hours. Obviously the cables are okay and not moving, would this likely be a firmware issue?
Dan
Dan
may potentially be firmware, what is the model number and what firmware version is it currently running?
3xposureofficial
3xposureofficial
Right here's one for you, before I go to replace my cable, I thought I would try every last measure. Re crimped and unplugged a number of times. Now I have the same issue as my in laws. I can tell the cable is not damaged, as it just out of no where decided to make itself live! now it drops intermittently. The cable is not being moved, so what do you suggest?
Dan
Dan
I would suggest trying the camera on a factory-made patch cable to verify if your cable is playing any part in this problem.
Back