01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Alarm input for missing power?

RedGlobe

Hello, i've powered my nvr and my cams with an UPS, so they can still working while missing electrical power.

I would like to be notified when power is missing. On the back of my nvr there are 4 input "ports" and I've thinked to connect the output of a simple power adapter (maybe 5 or 12v), of course the power adapter will not been connected under the ups.
Then configure a NC input alarm in the nvr settings and it should notify me when there is no power.

Is my thinking correct? Should it work?

1688989081601.jpeg

Yes, this should be achievable.

It is a shame that Hikvision do not offer the feature to connect your UPS to your NVR. NAS manufacturers, such as Synology, allow a link between the UPS and the NAS which is able to monitor the declining battery and will perform a graceful shutdown as battery power gets low.

Unfortunately, with Hikvision, your NVR will eventually just crash when the UPS battery runs out :(

It is a shame that Hikvision do not offer the feature to connect your UPS to your NVR. NAS manufacturers, such as Synology, allow a link between the UPS and the NAS which is able to monitor the declining battery and will perform a graceful shutdown as battery power gets low.

Unfortunately, with Hikvision, your NVR will eventually just crash when the UPS battery runs out :(
My NVR is DS-7608NXI-K2. But i cannot found anything specific about alarm ingress. Where can i find more specs?

there is a way, it's using Network UPS Tools (NUT) - google it - and sending xml command to nvr / camera when there are alarm

it need a (mini) pc next to the ups

Hello, i've powered my nvr and my cams with an UPS, so they can still working while missing electrical power.

I would like to be notified when power is missing. On the back of my nvr there are 4 input "ports" and I've thinked to connect the output of a simple power adapter (maybe 5 or 12v), of course the power adapter will not been connected under the ups.
Then configure a NC input alarm in the nvr settings and it should notify me when there is no power.

Is my thinking correct? Should it work?

View attachment 9530
If you want to do it by wired connection rather than network command, don’t connect any power supply directly to the alarm input terminals. Connect a small plug in 12V DC adaptor to the coil of a 12V DC mini relay. Then connect the common/normally closed contacts of the relay between G and any of the alarm inputs. Configure the NVR input normally open or normally closed to suit with ‘notify surveillance center’ ticked. Of course you’ll need to ensure that the PSU is connected to a non UPS outlet and that your router (and any switch between it as and your NVR) is UPS backed.

Reactions: Dan
there is a way, it's using Network UPS Tools (NUT) - google it - and sending xml command to nvr / camera when there are alarm

it need a (mini) pc next to the ups
No i can't follow this way.

If you want to do it by wired connection rather than network command, don’t connect any power supply directly to the alarm input terminals. Connect a small plug in 12V DC adaptor to the coil of a 12V DC mini relay. Then connect the common/normally closed contacts of the relay between G and any of the alarm inputs. Configure the NVR input normally open or normally closed to suit with ‘notify surveillance center’ ticked. Of course you’ll need to ensure that the PSU is connected to a non UPS outlet and that your router (and any switch between it as and your NVR) is UPS backed.
I've thinked to use a relay, that should be the easiest solution, but i imagine that powering the coil of the relay h24 7/7 will blow after some months maybe?

No i can't follow this way.

I've thinked to use a relay, that should be the easiest solution, but i imagine that powering the coil of the relay h24 7/7 will blow after some months maybe?
No reason it should as the contacts connecting to the NVR are ‘dry’ - no power going through them. For that reason the output contacts of the relay won’t weld or stick in position. A failure of the coil (to which the supply is connected) would be rare.

No reason it should as the contacts connecting to the NVR are ‘dry’ - no power going through them. For that reason the output contacts of the relay won’t weld or stick in position. A failure of the coil (to which the supply is connected) would be rare.
Yeah, you are right! Ok, then i'll use a 5 or 12v relay and i'll configure a NC contact on the nvr, so when will not be powerd the contact will be NO and alarm should be send!

Thanks for the clarifications :)

Back