01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can I replace my existing DS7208-HGHI-SH DVR (cameras are on coax), with a setup that uses SSD instead of a HDD for storage ?

barnesy1977

Hi all,

I have a home cctv system using a Hikvision DS7208-HGHI-SH DVR, with 2x dome cameras and 5x fixed, that all run on coax. I've have had a few probs with the HDD failing (3 in 12 months). I could just be unlucky, though 2 of the HDDs were refurbs, but also the system is in the loft so could be getting too hot. The current HDD now isn't even being acknowledged by the DVR...which makes me wonder if actually it's the DVR which is the problem. And now the power adapter on it has stopped working !

I know I could buy another HDD and power adapter, but the DVR could still be the problem anyway. So I'm wondering if I can just get a new system that would use a SSD instead of a HDD ? Is this what NVR's use ? I'd need it to work with my existing cameras which are coax fed. I have tried to research it, and it looks like NVRs might only work with cameras that connect by CAT5, but I'm not fully sure ?

Does anyone have any ideas ?

If I do have to get a new DVR similar to the one I have now, then I was looking to get a used/working one....I'm guessing any Hikvision that has coax connections could be setup to work with it ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a home cctv system using a Hikvision DS7208-HGHI-SH DVR, with 2x dome cameras and 5x fixed, that all run on coax. I've have had a few probs with the HDD failing (3 in 12 months). I could just be unlucky, though 2 of the HDDs were refurbs, but also the system is in the loft so could be getting too hot. The current HDD now isn't even being acknowledged by the DVR...which makes me wonder if actually it's the DVR which is the problem. And now the power adapter on it has stopped working !

I know I could buy another HDD and power adapter, but the DVR could still be the problem anyway. So I'm wondering if I can just get a new system that would use a SSD instead of a HDD ? Is this what NVR's use ? I'd need it to work with my existing cameras which are coax fed. I have tried to research it, and it looks like NVRs might only work with cameras that connect by CAT5, but I'm not fully sure ?

Does anyone have any ideas ?

If I do have to get a new DVR similar to the one I have now, then I was looking to get a used/working one....I'm guessing any Hikvision that has coax connections could be setup to work with it ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
That's an old model you have and I'd recommend upgrading to a newer one. If you use surveillance standard drives (never use a refurb - you're asking for problems) you should have no issues with drives failing prematurely. Use Seagate Skyhawk drives, WD Purple or Toshiba S300. I've had a few issues with larger Toshiba S300 drives when used in a multi disk NVR and prefer the Seagate ones now.

Hikvision have started doing NVRs and DVRs with a factory fitted SSD. Currently they only do a DVR in a 4 channel model from what I can find but that'll likely change. Standard NVRs just use HDDs and yes, NVRs use IP cameras that connect via CAT5 rather than coax. You need a DVR unless you're looking to swap out your entire system.

Ah thanks so much for the reply - that's really helpful.

Are there any units you can recommend me replacing it with (not wanting to spend more than I need to) ? I'd need a 4TB HDD so it can upto 2 weeks data.

thanks again.

That's an old model you have and I'd recommend upgrading to a newer one. If you use surveillance standard drives (never use a refurb - you're asking for problems) you should have no issues with drives failing prematurely. Use Seagate Skyhawk drives, WD Purple or Toshiba S300. I've had a few issues with larger Toshiba S300 drives when used in a multi disk NVR and prefer the Seagate ones now.

Hikvision have started doing NVRs and DVRs with a factory fitted SSD. Currently they only do a DVR in a 4 channel model from what I can find but that'll likely change. Standard NVRs just use HDDs and yes, NVRs use IP cameras that connect via CAT5 rather than coax. You need a DVR unless you're looking to swap out your entire system.

Are there any units you can recommend me replacing it with (not wanting to spend more than I need to) ? I'd need a 3-4TB HDD so it can upto 2 weeks data.

thanks again.

Are there any units you can recommend me replacing it with (not wanting to spend more than I need to) ? I'd need a 3-4TB HDD so it can upto 2 weeks data.

thanks again.
It's always a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Your existing DVR will take cameras up to a maximum of 2 megapixel (1080P resolution). If you're looking at second hand, you'll be looking at a model starting 'DS7208-????'. For those models:

HQHI - up to 2 megapixel cameras (equivalent to your current DVR)
HUHI - up to 5 megapixel cameras
HTHI - up to 8 megapixel cameras
Anything ending /P has Power over Coax capability (which won't be needed for your existing setup)

Newer models starting 'iDS' have AcuSense capability (filtering of motion detection alerts to 'Human' or 'Vehicle'

Regarding HDDs, the DVRs and NVRs do not come with them pre installed. Where they do, it's because the supplier has opened the box and pre installed one prior to sale for convenience. If you're in the UK there's very little on eBay currently.

It's always a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Your existing DVR will take cameras up to a maximum of 2 megapixel (1080P resolution). If you're looking at second hand, you'll be looking at a model starting 'DS7208-????'. For those models:

HQHI - up to 2 megapixel cameras (equivalent to your current DVR)
HUHI - up to 5 megapixel cameras
HTHI - up to 8 megapixel cameras
Anything ending /P has Power over Coax capability (which won't be needed for your existing setup)

Newer models starting 'iDS' have AcuSense capability (filtering of motion detection alerts to 'Human' or 'Vehicle'

Regarding HDDs, the DVRs and NVRs do not come with them pre installed. Where they do, it's because the supplier has opened the box and pre installed one prior to sale for convenience. If you're in the UK there's very little on eBay currently.
Thankyou so much JW for taking the time to reply - and in such detail. Really appreciate it. I'll go DVR hunting now.....

cheers, David

Back