01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cat 6 punch-down keystone jacks with exterior cat6 cable not passing cable tests?

Jack92

I have some outdoor rated Cat 6 cable which I have ran downstairs to upstairs clipped to the wall outside.

The cable is filled with the gel to protect it from water.

Each end of the cable has been terminated into keystone jacks using a punch down tool.

The cable has been punched into the jacks using a punch tool and appears to be fully secure, however when testing them using an RJ45 cable tester the only LEDs showing on each end are 4 and 6.

I have removed the keystone jacks and terminated using a cat 6 RJ45 plug and tested again and all 8 leds light in sequence which confirms the correct termination.

After this I cut the cables back again and re terminated using the punch down tool in the keystone jack and again I have the same issues with not all LEDs displaying on the tester.

I have pressed down numerous times but I am not sure if keystone jack is actually breaking into the insulation on the internal wires to form a connection.

Does anyone have any ideas or have experienced a similar issue?

Many thanks,

Jack

Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
Did you source your cable and keystone jacks from the same supplier?
Perhaps double-check that they are compatible?

Hi Phil, yep I sure did. I will try some new keystone modules to see if they work!

Hi Phil, yep I sure did. I will try some new keystone modules to see if they work!
sometimes the punch down tool is too big for the termination. The V that bites into the wire spreads apart giving a bad connection. Usually you can move the wires and make / break the connection.

I assume your cat6 is solid core conductor.

what cable tester are you using? 4, 6 is not a pair.

1,2 and 3,6 data

4,5 telephony

7,8 depends on application

David

Back