01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV not picking up torch light?

CountryGirl

Hi, can anyone help please?
I have recently had to have three Hikvision cameras installed. I didn't really want to have CCTV to be honest but I did so on the advice of the police. My neighbour has been harassing me for years. It started off as criminal damage and since my husband died in 2020 this person started to shine a torch at my bedroom window every night which is when I contacted the police. My neighbour then started to use a laser torch as the light changed on my window and one night I did actually see the beam of light go across my garden. However, after the CCTV was installed my neighbour is still shining lights at my window, they seem to be very tiny lights and I cannot believe that nothing is showing up on my CCTV. I cannot pick up any lights from my neighbours garden or any beams of light, or any flashes of light hitting my bedroom window. I am completely baffled by this and it's definitely happening, it's not my imagination. I am at the end of my tether with this person. I have even had a motion sensor light put up which this person also manages to dodge!
What I really want to know is what can this person possibly be using to not show up on my CCTV? I thought it may be an IR torch but have been told by my CCTV installer that I should still see a beam of light with this type of torch. My neighbour seems to be very clever at what they do. Can anyone please give me some ideas?
Thank you.

@CountryGirl,
Not sure but it may be related to the frequency of the laser light being outside the range of the cameras IR cut filter. When you see the light coming through your windows is it visible (may be very faint) on the cctv camera? What model camera do you have? it could be possible to switch the IR off and disable the IR cut filter. The image may then be darker but could show the laser light. Adjusting the cameras exposure may also help.

Laser light usually travels in straight lines and could be too dim to be seen by your camera, if your window curtains are closed and the laser hits the curtains the beam will scatter and appear to be bright.

You could record it on your smart phone or point a cctv camera at your window curtains.

David

Reactions: Dan
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

I know nothing at all about CCTV and not sure what model it is but I can tell you that they are Hik-Vision 4 channel DVR with 2TB hard drive, 3 fixed lens cameras 5mp. If that is helpful?
The CCTV guy was here only yesterday as my playback completely disappeared so he had to reboot it. Don't like to keep calling him back, plus it would cost me more for any adjustments I think and I've already spent a fortune because of my neighbour and don't appear to be getting anywhere.
I have a blackout blind plus curtains at my window. I got the blackout blind because of the lights. I have the blind down only slightly above halfway now as I keep my bedroom window open at night. The lights my neighbour shines are now always at the very top of my window nearly always on the same side (so perhaps they think it is out of view of the camera, but it isn't.) I can even see the lights through my blackout blind which is another thing I don't understand. It is very strange. Yes, I think you could be right about the light scattering as sometimes it seems as if they are shining two lights simultaneously.
Before I had the CCTV he would shine a normal torch all over my window.
I don't own a smart phone, but have tried to take a photo of the lights with my camera but it comes out blank. I have even been out in my garden to try to catch them out, but they hide behind the fence.
I get the impression they have done this sort of thing before as seem very experienced and seem to know exactly waht they are doing.
Sorry I can't be of much help, I'm not very good or know much about technology, this is all new to me!

but have tried to take a photo of the lights with my camera but it comes out blank
What model camera did you take the picture with?

The cctv DVR / camera model numbers may be on the installers invoice.

David

What model camera did you take the picture with?

The cctv DVR / camera model numbers may be on the installers invoice.

David
Hi,

I tried to take a photo with my little Rollei camera. The trouble is I never know what time the lights will appear but usually between 10-11pm but have known them shining the lights on and off for well over an hour. This person sees what time I put my dogs out last thing at night from there doors at the back and even been known quite often to shine a light as soon as my hall light goes off (I never even put my bedroom light on any more.) So I am sure they are watching from their garden too as the torch will shine the second my light goes off. Bit creepy. Then they are only there for a split second so it's almost impossible to get a photo.
No, the model number is not on the invoice, I checked, but could be on the box which is on my desk but a bit scared to pull it out in case the little plugs pull out! I have been so disappointed as I thought the CCTV would at last give me some proof what this person has been doing. I really want to see them prosecuted as this harassment has been going on for years, almost from the time this person moved next door to us. Also it would be proof to the police etc. that it is genuine and I'm not some silly woman, which I got from one particular policeman who I felt didn't believe me.

I tried to take a photo with my little Rollei camera.
what is the model number of your Rollei camera? I want to check the specifications to see what it can do.

How would you rate your computer skills, are you happy to install software?

Do you use your computer to view the CCTV video or via a TV / monitor attached to the DVR?

David

The model of camera is Rolllei Compactline 101, I only use it for taking pics of my dogs, for Facebook and selling on Ebay and I am not an experienced photographer. If I use the flash, it comes out blank and if I don't it is just black . I have just checked the instructions book and it does have a nightime mode but I would have to have the camera at the ready and be so quick, I could try this I suppose.
At the moment I have a poorly elderly dog so I am concentrating on him at the moment. Please understand that trying to catch this person out can take over my life if I'm not careful! The PCSO rings me most weeks to discuss and I have put in a request to speak to one of the police officers again.
My computer skills are just average, I get by but don't know all the computer jargon and I view the CCTV on my computer.
All I wanted to know is whether anyone has any clue as to what this person is using that won't show up on the CCTV?
I'm not sure about installing any software my computer is old (it was only a reconditioned one.)

All I wanted to know is whether anyone has any clue as to what this person is using that won't show up on the CCTV?
this sort of thing can be mentally exhausting, stay focussed on your elderly dog.

Don't forget my earlier comments about LED laser lights.
If your cameras / DVR are setup to record on Motion / intrusion detection only, the light may be too brief to trigger a recording. The camera pointing towards the light source needs to be in continuous record, increasing the exposure time may also help, make sure the DVR time is correct. When you see the light being shone note the time and check the cctv recording. Your installer should be able to help with this.

David

Thank you for that information, I think you may be right about the light being so brief so not triggering a recording. I will look into this at some point.

Thanks again, very helpful.

I agree with David. I always set the NVR (Network Video Recorder), to 24/7 recording - that way you are not dependant on any motion trigger algorithms which are always prone to unreliability. That way the cameras record everything they see on the NVR full time and with your set-up you should be able to view recordings going back at least a week, (the time depends on the cameras settings). (CCTV NVRS are always set so the hard drive overwrites the oldest files when it is full). That allows you time to save any evidence on a memory stick.

Once set like that, the camera cannot fail to spot an individual in its field of view, but some cameras are better than others. Infra-red cameras have their limitations as they cannot show colours, for instance, but Hikvision do a range of "color-vu" cameras that utilise a white LED illuminator at night instead of an infra-red illuminator that provides enough light to record scenes in full colour. I'm not sure how your cameras are installed, by the way, but they have to be installed outside if there is no local lighting as the cameras illuminator, white or infra-red will not work through a window due to reflection.

One thing's for sure - no-one should not have to suffer this sort of harassment, so the very best of luck to you in getting the problem solved. I have had a similar problem and had to install cctv to sort it out, so I appreciate how stressful it is.

Thank you for that information. My CCTV is outside, I have two cameras to cover the areas where he shines the torch and one at the front of my bungalow. I can never see him, he hides behind what is my fence and he has a huge long trellis on his side next to my fence which actually is a few inches above and covered in clematis. I'm pretty sure of the area where he is shining it from as there is a convenient gap in the clematis! Also behind my fence exactly there, there is a place situated between his outdoor sofa and a plastic type of greenhouse where he can hide behind so I don't see him from my side view camera either.
I am thinking now that if I had the white LED illuminator at night instead of the infra red it might show up.
Last night I seem to have picked up a couple of flashes from the place he shines from, it was raining hard last night but definitely not the rain or bugs and it was spot on for the time I saw them too. I will mention it to the PCSO or the PC if he ever gets around to ringing me! The police have been useless quite honestly. Only been to see him once and he denies everything of course and they didn't even want to look at the photo's I took of the criminal damage!

The only other thing I can think of would be a camera installed in the affected room pointed at the window that could demonstrate the affect in the room itself. Many cctv cameras are designed to detect very low light levels, (the Hikvision 'darkfighter ' range for example).
The trouble is with such sad individuals that do these things is that seeing it have an effect spurs them on. If ignored they will eventually give up, but I realise that it's easier said than done.

The only other thing I can think of would be a camera installed in the affected room pointed at the window that could demonstrate the affect in the room itself. Many cctv cameras are designed to detect very low light levels, (the Hikvision 'darkfighter ' range for example).
The trouble is with such sad individuals that do these things is that seeing it have an effect spurs them on. If ignored they will eventually give up, but I realise that it's easier said than done.
Thank you for that advice, that is something to bear in mind, trouble is it's more expense! Just as I was getting into the right headspace thinking that he's the one with the problem, he doesn't exist, etc. etc. (as agreed with the PCSO) my little elderly dog managed to sneak out of my garden. I had got the bins in and had forgotten to close gate as usual trying to multi task! Next thing I know is my neighbour (his partner) was coming along the side, I could see her through my kitchen window and she held Ted up in her arms for me to see (her face was like thunder.) I rushed out to get him and thanked her as I was just so relieved he was back safely. I had no idea he had got out. Then a couple of days ago decided to check my CCTV for that day (10th July) to see what the the little monkey had got up to. I saw my awful neighbour (him) come out looking very peeved indeed and he either kicked or attempted to kick my dog. Then she rushed out and picked him up, thank goodness. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and was so angry. It happened behind my fence so not sure whether he did kick him or missed, but he definitely kicked out. When the PC contacts me (still waiting) I will show him the footage.

Back