01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connecting to my NVR via Ethernet over WiFi?

Jack92

Hello,

Can’t really find any post relating to this so apologies if it has been asked already.

I am looking to purchase some Hikvision CCTV cameras with an NVR.

I want to install 2 in my soffits front and rear of the house and one outside my garage at the end of my garden.

My current internet set up is talk talk broadband with the router in my living room downstairs(only telephone point in the house).

My cable runs for POE will be through the soffits into the loft, down the ceiling into a built in wardrobe and out along the skirting board in trunking to the NVR and monitor screen.

The issue I face is that I have no Ethernet connection in this room. Running a Ethernet cable from my router to the NVR location upstairs is out of the question along with having the NVR next to my router as I cannot run the Ethernet cables from the cameras to the NVR.

Can I buy a WiFi extender with a Ethernet port to plug into the NVR to give it internet? Will this work?

Many thanks

Jack

Hikvision PTZ cameras
Can I buy a WiFi extender with a Ethernet port to plug into the NVR to give it internet? Will this work?
Hi Jack,
You'd probably be better using a TP-Link Powerline adapter or something similar. I've used them for many years with no problems.

What model of NVR are you using? My cameras are not connected to the NVR which is beside the router. I have a poe switch in the loft that connects to the cameras, connection back to the router is via tp-link power line adapters.

David

Hi David.

Thanks for your reply.

That’s great thank you. I am actually debating whether to drill though the wall out the front of my house near where the router is and run an outdoor suitable Cat6 cable up to the location where the NVR is.

I am just worried how stable the connection will be over a wifi extender as above.

Just thinking about what you have done, that sounds like a good idea actually. The NVR I am getting is :

8MP DS7604NIK1/4P (B) Hikvision POE 4 Channel

Many thanks,

Jack

Jack,
I would avoid a wifi connection to the NVR LAN Port unless absolutely necessary. Try for the external cat6, or use power line adapters.

David

Back