01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do these DVR models support 1080p streaming/recording and Hik-Connect cloud service?

ksio89

Hello folks. I recently moved to a new house and installed a couple of Hikvision HiLook cameras (THC-B120C-P and THC-T120C-P) and an 8-channel DVR-108G-K1 recorder. The issue is that while the cameras can stream and record at 1080p (or 2MP), the DVR doesn't actually support 1080p resolution, only a crappy "1080p Lite", aka 960x1080 instead of full 1920x1080, as you can notice in the screenshot. Obviously, the image quality is quite lower than a native 1080p, and screenshots/videos are squeezed horizontally almost to a square, as 960x1080 aspect ratio approximates too.

Knowing this, after some search, I've found two other 8-channel models that supposedly support true 1080p: DVR-108Q-K1 (notice the Q instead of G) and DVR-208Q-K1. My question is: do these DVRs support 1080p streaming and recording, and also Hik-Connect app? I've checked the 208Q data sheet, and it just says it supports HiLookVision, but not Hik-Connect, while I couldn't find product page of 108Q on Hikvision website, only the 108G that I already have.

The DVR on the left (DVR-116Q-K1), that is installed in the condo where I used to live, is a 16-channel model that does support 1080p streaming/recording, while the one on the right is the one I have that is capped at "1080p Lite". I only installed 5 cameras in my house, so I don't judge necessary to pay substantially more for a 16-channel one.

Hi-Look-compara-o.png

Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
Hi @ksio89

First off the HiLookVision app is the HiLook equivalent of the Hikvision Hik-Connect app so if your whole system is HiLook we would recommend using the HiLookVision app which can be found here - Hikvision App Store

In regards to both those 8ch DVR models, they only appear on the Hikvision global site so I would double-check the Hikvision site for your region (you can change this in the top right of the Hikvision website) to see what 8ch models are actually available in your region.

It does look like the models you found do support full 1080p, but they don't appear to be available in the UK and the equivalent UK model - DVR-208G-K1 - looks to have the same resolution support as your current 108G-K1 model. Looking at the UK product range you might need to go up to the DVR-208U-M1 model which supports up to 8MP and full 1080p.

Thanks for the reply, Dan. About the website, the regional one (Brazilian) doesn't have any info about those models, only the global one. However, I ended purchasing the 208Q model on the web, as all evidences point to it really being a full 1080p DVR:

1. it's not in the 1080p Lite category at Hikvision website, unlike 108G-K1/208G-K1 models: DVR-208Q-K1
  2. the label on the box says up to 4MP, while the one of my model (108G), only says 1080p
  3. the seller stated that it both streams and records at 1080p/Full HD/2MP while not in 1080p Lite mode, unlike 108G where there's only mention of "1080p Lite", never a standalone "1080p".
  4. the 16-channel version, 116Q-K1, supports 1080p, as I have mentioned, so I believe the 8-channel version, also having the "Q" in the SKU designation, must support as well.
I can't be 100% sure unless I install and test, but I'm pretty confident it will support 1080p like the 116Q.

edit: over here HiLook DVRs have a white, smaller chassis, instead of black and larger like the one in that link, but it seems to be the only difference:

edit 2: the forum still has the cookies issue, breaking image links and post previewing :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Just to give a closure, I received the 208Q today and I confirm it supports true 1080p. 108Q must do as well, as it's just a previous generation model of Q series. In short, you should avoid 1XXG and 2XXG models like the plague if you don't want fake 1080p resolution.

Reactions: Dan
Back