01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) and 4 x 8MP DS-2CD2385FWD-I - bandwidth issues and settings

tedted22

Hi all

New here, but found the info on here most amazing. Thanks for your hard work thus far.

I've recently invested in the DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) NVR along with 4 x DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP IP cameras (UK stock).

A few things that I'm not sure on:

1) Is this NVR fully capable of handling the 4 cameras at 8MP, 20FPS, using H.265+ ? What would each camera use at that res/frame rate? More than 40Mbps?

2) Does the H.265+ processing happen at each camera or the NVR (causing higher load/memory)?

3) Sometimes, randomly, when trying to use the Live View in Internet Explorer, only 3 and sometimes only 2 cameras show in the live preview, as if one is not online. But it is online, and if I stop the live preview of another working cam, the live view of the missing one then appears - sounds like it can't show me all 4 together due to bandwidth or load issues? Seems like 40-50% of the time this happens. Rebooting the NVR occasionally fixes it for a while, then it will start again at some point in the next 24 hours. Have tried reducing frame rate, switching from variable to constant and a few things, but not been able to hit the nail on the head.

4) Is there any recommend settings for the 2385 turrets? I have one pointing down at the drive, one pointing to the back garden, one lower down in the back garden and one at the side. At the front, there is a street light right outside, and it seems to allow the camera to run in colour mode all night if I wanted. I would presume it is better to run in colour and lose a bit of detail (shadows etc) rather than IR if the light permits?

5) With the side camera, I have it on a wall bracket so its not mounted direct to brick, but there is still a lot of the brick in view, causing the IR to bounce of it. I've compensated for this using the HLC, but its still not brilliant. Any better way to do it?

6) Is it best to use H.265+ or stick to H.265 for stability/quality on the above NVR?

Sorry for all the questions, but once I've learned more I'll be able to better understand and help others.

Thanks

J

1. Because the h.265+ CODEC is so efficient at reducing bandwidth / storage the 7604 can cope fine now with 4x 8MP cams. You probably don't need 20fps, 10fps is very likely to be more than sufficient. Most of our example YouTube videos are captured at 6fps.
2. The CODEC is implemented in the camera i.e. it sends a more efficient video stream (the NVR probably does have to work harder to decode and playback, but no negative reports).
3. Right-click on the quad panes and set them to use the sub-stream when you are multi-viewing.
4. The scene will mean that everyone sees differing performance - test for yourself to see whether you believe the results are better switching to monochrome or remaining in colour. Walk test it - put your face in the scene. Watch play back to test that it is recording and playing back as you wish. With regard to settings - set the quality to highest, set the bit rate to variable, make sure that you have a good high max bitrate set (so that it's not restricting the camera performance). There are sample settings elsewhere in the forum.
5. Try to rotate it away from the wall, to get the wall out of the view. Views of the wall are not helpful nor useful. Always minimise the sky in the scene too AND exclude any light sources e.g. light from street lamps and garden lights is useful, having the actual lamp/bulb in the scene has a very detrimental effect on the camera's performance.
6. I don't believe there are any negatives to using h.265+.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Phil!

With 6 or 10fps, won't it just make playback too jumpy to get a nice, clear still frame should the need arise?

I would have thought the smoother the better?

Thanks

This is 6fps:

This is 20fps:

Both can be played from YouTube in 4K resolution if you have a suitable monitor, or better still a large screen 4K TV with the YouTube App built-in - CCTV never looked so impressive!

Back