01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR error formatting Toshiba S300 6TB Hard drive?

ClearVision

Hi All,

I would very much appreciate your help with the issue I seem to be having with HDD initialization with my Hikivision NRV DS-7608NI-I2/8P.

I had a Toshiba 2TB S300 surveillance HDD installed in my NVR. I recently decided to increase the storage and I added an additional Toshiba 6TB S300 surveillance HDD - same OEM installed in the NVR when it was purchased new.

I tried to initialise the new 6TB HDD using the Web GUI after installing the new HDD. The new HDD is recognised by the NVR as I can see the two HDDs. However, when I tried to format it, the NVR is unable to complete the process as it returns an 'error' status after initialization instead of 'Normal'. The HDD was bought brand-new, so no idea why the NVR cannot seem to format it. I have tried formatting the new HDD with the old one disconnected, still it returns the same error status. NVR has the latest firmware according the Hikvision's website.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions on how I could go about formatting the HDD. Also, can I format it using a windows PC and will the NVR recognise the HDD after formatting with windows?

Hi All,

I would very much appreciate your help with the issue I seem to be having with HDD initialization with my Hikivision NRV DS-7608NI-I2/8P.

I had a Toshiba 2TB S300 surveillance HDD installed in my NVR. I recently decided to increase the storage and I added an additional Toshiba 6TB S300 surveillance HDD - same OEM installed in the NVR when it was purchased new.

I tried to initialise the new 6TB HDD using the Web GUI after installing the new HDD. The new HDD is recognised by the NVR as I can see the two HDDs. However, when I tried to format it, the NVR is unable to complete the process as it returns an 'error' status after initialization instead of 'Normal'. The HDD was bought brand-new, so no idea why the NVR cannot seem to format it. I have tried formatting the new HDD with the old one disconnected, still it returns the same error status. NVR has the latest firmware according the Hikvision's website.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions on how I could go about formatting the HDD. Also, can I formatting it using a windows PC and will NVR recognises the HDD after formatting with window?
I’ve had no issues with the 2TB Toshiba S300 drives in various machines. However I have had issues with the 6TB ones recently...

In late November I installed 4 x 6TB (all new) in a Hikvision NVR and formatted them. After one cycle two of them failed with 'HDD missing' (January). I returned one of the two to my supplier. They tested it and said although it passed the tests, it didn't work correctly when they tried it an NVR and so they sent me a replacement. I had already replaced the two removed disks with Seagate Surveillance at that point so was running 2 of each. Last week I was called out again to the same installation and the issue had reoccurred (failing on March 8th) with the remaining two Toshiba drives. Again I replaced them with Seagate and returned the suspect drives. The Toshiba ones failed the suppliers testing ('error reading drives') and again they are replacing them (I'm expecting delivery today). I'm wondering whether there could've been a bad batch of the 6TB S300s. Unfortunately my supplier has replaced them like for like, when credit to purchase Seagate would've been preferable, as I'd now rather avoid Toshiba.

Those disks formatted normally in the NVR before failing a short time later. In your case if it won't format successfully using the NVR I'd just return it to your supplier as DOA. The only thing you could do is to use the local menu on a connected monitor rather than a web browser to rule out browser issues.

Last edited:
I’ve had no issues with the 2TB Toshiba S300 drives in various machines. However I have had issues with the 6TB ones recently...

In late November I installed 4 x 6TB (all new) in a Hikvision NVR and formatted them. After one cycle two of them failed with 'HDD missing' (January). I returned one of the two to my supplier. They tested it and said although it passed the tests, it didn't work correctly when they tried it an NVR and so they sent me a replacement. I had already replaced the two removed disks with Seagate Surveillance at that point so was running 2 of each. Last week I was called out again to the same installation and the issue had reoccurred (failing on March 8th) with the remaining two Toshiba drives. Again I replaced them with Seagate and returned the suspect drives. The Toshiba ones failed the suppliers testing ('error reading drives') and again they are replacing them (I'm expecting delivery today). I'm wondering whether there could've been a bad batch of the 6TB S300s. Unfortunately my supplier has replaced them like for like, when credit to purchase Seagate would've been preferable, as I'd now rather avoid Toshiba.

Those disks formatted normally in the NVR before failing a short time later. In your case if it won't format successfully using the NVR I'd just return it to your supplier as DOA. The only thing you could do is to use the local menu on a connected monitor rather than a web browser to rule out browser issues.
Thanks JB1970, I will try and use the local menu and see if it resolves the issue. Odd to hear about your experience as the Toshiba HDD is what was installed in the NVR straight from the box.

My preference is WD surveillance HDD but because the Toshiba was fitted, hence the reason I went for the same. Although Hikvision listed Tosihba HDD as one of the compatible HDDs for this model of the NVR.

Thanks JB1970, I will try and use the local menu and see if it resolves the issue. Odd to heaer about your experience as the Toshiba HDD is what was installed in the NVR straight from the box.

My preference is WD surveillance HDD but because the Toshiba was fitted, hence the reason I went for the same. Although Hikvision listeed Tosihba HDD as one of the compatible hDDs for this model of the NVR.
The compatibility chart is a bit of a waste of time IMO. With so many models of NVR/DVR it's only relevant for the model and specific firmware version that Hikvision did the testing with; so it's out of date before you can check against it. Also there tend to be multiple variants of drive that change over time so when you look at a Toshiba S300 from last year, it may have a different part code to this year. They may use different internal drive firmware and possibly have hardware changes but they're still a S300.

I've fitted a fair few 2TB S300's without a problem. They were all in single drive systems. The installation where I've had the problems is a larger 4 disk NVR (DS-7716NI-M4) where the storage is left in Quota mode. I prefer to use Quota mode as if a drive fails, although some historical footage is lost, all cameras are recording to the same disk so will continue to record (albeit with a shorter retention period). However in Quota mode only one disk is in use at a time and moves onto the next once full. The sleep to wake transition might have triggered the failure. I could've split the cameras into 4 groups so that each group uses one disk and all are in use simultaneously but it really shouldn't be necessary.

The compatibility chart is a bit of a waste of time IMO. With so many models of NVR/DVR it's only relevant for the model and specific firmware version that Hikvision did the testing with; so it's out of date before you can check against it. Also there tend to be multiple variants of drive that change over time so when you look at a Toshiba S300 from last year, it may have a different part code to this year. They may use different internal drive firmware and possibly have hardware changes but they're still a S300.

I've fitted a fair few 2TB S300's without a problem. They were all in single drive systems. The installation where I've had the problems is a larger 4 disk NVR (DS-7716NI-M4) where the storage is left in Quota mode. I prefer to use Quota mode as if a drive fails, although some historical footage is lost, all cameras are recording to the same disk so will continue to record (albeit with a shorter retention period). However in Quota mode only one disk is in use at a time and moves onto the next once full. The sleep to wake transition might have triggered the failure. I could've split the cameras into 4 groups so that each group uses one disk and all are in use simultaneously but it really shouldn't be necessary.
So I tried an 8TB seagate surveillance HDD, the NVR wouldn't even recognize it. I disconnected the 2TB Toshiba Surveillance HDD that came pre-installed in the NVR and used the HDD cable just to be sure it wasn't due to a faulty HDD cable, still, the NVR did not recognize the HDD. The NVR is on the latest firmware and according to Hik-vision, this model is compatible with HDDs up to 10TB per bay. Not sure what could be the issues!

Back