01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect HDD exception?

Ontario213

I woke up today to to find out my hik connect now has a red icon which stands for hdd exception? Nothing visible on playback for present or past . I have tried rebooting but nothing. Any help would be very appreciated thank you all

Hi @Ontario213

Have your cameras stopped recording since you've seen the HDD exception error?
Are you able to log in to the NVR with a browser or direct monitor?

Hi Dan,
Yes they have stopped recording and no playback even when i look for past recordings. I can still view live stream. The nvr and hardrive is about 2 years old

Okay,

Are you able to log in to the NVR with a browser or a directly connected monitor?

Great,

Can you please confirm the NVR model you have and the firmware version it is currently running?
Did you update the NVR firmware in the last few days before you spotted the HDD exception?

Hi Dan,

I haven't done anything new in settings or recent updates as it's current.
When I went to storage I could see it was not detecting the 4TB hard drive.
I opened up the nvr and made sure all connections to the hdd were secured, and powered-up the unit.
Same outcome.

I unplugged the cables to the hdd and plugged them in again and the hdd was detected!
It was full.
I re-formatted and initialized it again and all is good.

I cannot seem to understand why this happened and also the strange thing is my hdd setting are on to overwrite when full?

I'm thinking maybe something is strange with the hdd and will have it replaced as its under warranty still.

What's your opinion Dan?

Hi @Ontario213

If you've managed to format the HDD and it is recording then I think you should be fine to continue using this HDD.

There might be just a random software glitch that caused this error or it might be a faulty HDD/bad sector, you can go into the HDD menus and run a S.M.A.R.T test to check for any issues with the HDDs.

If it does fail the test then you might want to consider replacing the HDD, if it doesn't fail then we would just recommend continuing to monitor the HDD and see if the issue returns.

It sounds like faulty drives. I’ve had similar issues where 6TB Toshiba S300 drives would be lost and ‘HDD not detected’ would appear. A reboot would bring them back but after a time the issue returned.

It was full.
the strange thing is my hdd setting are on to overwrite when full?
Just to say, if you set your NVR to 'overwrite when full', then once the HDDs have filled they will always and forever appear to be full - this is normal :)
The NVR is overwriting the oldest recordings.
It's keeping everything since on the HDD, and only overwriting THE oldest.
Hence, always full.
Which allows you to review and replay the last days/weeks/months (according to how much HDD capacity you have installed in your NVR).

Back