01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision camera selection for long garden?

Mad Professor

Good day all.

I am looking for any help and guidance for a new Hikvision camera for my garden.
The garden is approximately 30m long by 7m wide.
I am planning on placing the camera under the eaves of the house roof, this is approximately 5m from ground level.
Ideally I would like to have all of the garden covered by the view of the camera, but most importantly is to cover the Summerhouse / Home office that is at the far end of the garden.
I would like to get the whole garden is frame of the camera without the need of using privacy mask for the neighbours garden.
This camera would need to be compatible with our existing DS-7608NI-I2 NVR.

Requirements
  • POE
  • 4MP or better.
  • Excellent low light performance.
  • Privacy mask.
  • Audio recording.

Thanks in advance.

Good day all.

I am looking for any help and guidance for a new Hikvision camera for my garden.
The garden is approximately 30m long by 7m wide.
I am planning on placing the camera under the eaves of the house roof, this is approximately 5m from ground level.
Ideally I would like to have all of the garden covered by the view of the camera, but most importantly is to cover the Summerhouse / Home office that is at the far end of the garden.
I would like to get the whole garden is frame of the camera without the need of using privacy mask for the neighbours garden.
This camera would need to be compatible with our existing DS-7608NI-I2 NVR.

Requirements
  • POE
  • 4MP or better.
  • Excellent low light performance.
  • Privacy mask.
  • Audio recording.

Thanks in advance.
You'll be unlikely to get what you want with just one camera...

To cover the entire garden you need a wide angle lens so that objects close to the cameras mounting position are in the field of view. The wide angle lens increases perspective such that the summerhouse at the opposite end will be very small in the image.

To cover the summerhouse at the far end of the garden you need a narrow angle lens. The narrow angle lens will have blindspots close to the camera.

Your best bet is to get a camera with varifocal 2.8 - 12mm lens. You can then try and strike a balance between keeping as much of the garden in view and keeping the summerhouse larger in the image. Using an 8MP model will allow a small amount of digital zoom for that far end but don't rely on that too much. For a turret try the DS-2CD2H86G2-IZS(c) or for a bullet try the DS-2CD2686G2-IZS(c)

Excellent low light performance
Just to add to the above if you're looking for cameras that will give you colour in low-light, then our recommendation would be the DS-2CD2687G2HT-LIZS.
This is a new Hybrid Light model, so can be set to switch from invisible IR (black and white) mode to colour when movement is detected - it can also be set to stay in either mode rather than switch.
However, you will need some ambient light in the scene already to get a colour picture, otherwise the camera will need to use its built-in light.

The DS-2CD2H86G2-IZS(C) turret that @JB1970 mentions will look better under your eaves than the big bullet, and will be cheaper.
Unfortunately, there are no Hybrid Light turrets yet...

Back