01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision - new setup recommendations?

trevip

Hi,
I am looking to replace an old CCTV installation in a charity I volunteer for and would like some advice/confirmation on my plans please.

The attached plan shows the proposed positions and some measurements. Our existing cameras are in positions A and B
cctv plan v3 - new positions.png

All cameras will be mounted around 2m off the ground, there is no option to mount higher.
They will also be wall mounted

For the cameras I am basing the FOV as follows, this looks to be close enough to the various cameras specs
  • 2.8mm or 108º
  • 4mm or 88º
  • 6mm or 53º
Notes and proposal for each position
Positions 1,2,3 are indoor, florescent lighting, will always be lit so night/dark viewing not important

1) Type: Turret, 4mm
Use: General coverage of our scooter storage area
Record clear images of equipment going in and out in case of any damage claims.

2) Type: Turret, 4mm
Use: General coverage of our scooter storage area
Record clear images of equipment going in and out in case of any damage claims.

3) Type: Turret, 4mm
Use: General coverage of our reception area

4) Type: Turret, 6mm, - color-vu? but would have to be 4mm
Use: Provide clear images of people faces when viewed on a real time screen for our reception desk staff to see
clearly who is there and what is going on. This enables them to operate the barrier control effectively.
Environment: Under cover with some average lighting but sometimes bright sunshine will provide plenty of light.
Some dusk and night time operation when its dark early in the evening.
Camera to be mounted internally looking through the window
IR will probably need to be turned off due to reflection.
This is to stop tampering and to help keep lens clean
May need to create a surround to reduce reflections on the glass.

5) Type: Dome, 2.8mm
Use: Provide general view of the car park area and of people in the corridor. This will have a live view on our reception.
To enable monitoring of our customers in the car park and also our scooter entrance.
Environment: Under cover with average lighting 24 hours a day.
Due to the wall there will be an obscured area shown in red on the plan, this is acceptable.

I am looking at the Hikvision range of 4k cameras paired with the Hikvision DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8-channel 8K M-Series Network Video Recorder NVR

Proposed cameras
Position 1,2,3 - 4mm turret, DS-2CD2386G2-I
Position 4 - 6mm turret, DS-2CD2386G2-I
Position 5 - 2.8mm Dome, DS-2CD2186G2-I

Storage
We are looking at 30 days storage using H265+
3 cameras will run for around 9 hours a day, 6 days a week - medium activity + movement outside these hours
2 cameras will run 24h - 12h of medium activity and 12h of low activity
what capacity would you recommend for this?

My questions:
  1. As the cameras 1,2,3 will be positioned so that the current lighting is in the top of their FOV, any suggestions to reduce glare/compromised image quality.
  2. Any alternative suggestions for camera locations
  3. Are the FOV proposals good or could they be improved
  4. What models of camera would you recommend, I had considered colorvu for position 4 but they don't make a 6mm version.
    having said that with darkfighter keeping the colour image for even relatively gloomy light levels colorvu may not be that beneficial.
  5. Any other design/implementation suggestions to get the best out of the installation.
  6. We will need real time view of cameras 4 & 5 via a PC, any potential issues that I could encounter?
  7. Recommended disk capacity?

Thanks for your help
Trevor

Hi @trevip

Apologies for the lack of response, big initial posts like this don't usually attract many of our users (also, they are often more interested in helping out with technical support questions than system quotes).

The answers to your questions are below:

1) In regards to lights in the scene our recommendation is always to avoid it if you can, from our experience if you have the cameras ceiling mounted (or close to ceiling height) and they ate looking down at the room then there shouldn't be much light visible in the camera's FoV (especially with a 4mm lens). If you do have any glare from lights then we recommend playing around with the camera's image settings including exposure and WDR/HLC.

2) Camera positions look fine to me, although we would probably recommend spacing cameras 1 & 2 further apart because your diagram shows the FoV of both cameras overlaps quite a lot and if you moved camera 1 closer to the fire exit you would get more coverage of that scooter area and have less overlap in the middle (which is wasted coverage).

3) FoV choices look ok to me

4) Your camera choices look good to me, if you have some lighting around the barrier (e.g. street lighting or security lighting) then I think you will get good low light results even from a 2386G2 AcuSense camera.

5) No, everything you have stated above makes sense and other than playing around with some image settings you should get decent results with the above plan.

6) If the PC monitor is in close proximity to the NVR and has multiple HDMI connections you could connect the NVR directly to the monitor and just switch HDMI sources when you want to view the live view. Alternatively, you can install Hikvision free iVMS-4200 software on the PC and add either the NVR or just the 2 cameras (if they are connected using a separate PoE injector/switch and not directly connected to the NVR) to that to view the live views.

7) We always recommend if a system is for security purposes that you have all cameras configured to record continuously, to record 5 x 8MP cameras continuously at around 20-25fps for roughly 2 weeks you would need about 16TB of storage (e.g. 2 x 8TB Western Digital Purple HDDs)

Hi Dan,
Thanks for replying, I'm one of those people that spends a good chunk of time trying to understand how things work and what to consider. This has been something I have been doing in IT for a long time hence the level of detail in the diagram and post.
I have a Hikvision system at home as well.

I'll spend a bit of time playing around with the positions of cameras 1 & 2 once I have them.

Unfortunately the NVR won't be near the PC, my initial plan was to directly connect the cameras but your note on the iVMS option is good to know as I can switch these to a separate POE switch.

I'll finish off my parts list and get some pricing from you.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply its much appreciated.
Trevor

Reactions: Dan
Back