01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR H.265+ compatibility?

microserf

I've been using an older version of iVMS-4200 (recording and streaming server) on a Poweredge R330 running Windows Server for a number of years. Some recent events have required that it be taken offline to preserve video. Lots and lots of video. So, I've been throwing money at online retailers to get something in place as the security system gets updated.

The existing cameras were a mix of ColorVu, Darkfighter, and G1 bullets. No new locations are planed but some existing cameras have been replaced and others will be. 4K or bust. New cameras installed are DS-2CD2087G2-LU, DS-2CD2687G2T-LZS, and DS-2CD2T87G2-LSU/SL. Current (new) NVRs trying to fill the Poweredge's shoes are a DS-7808NXI-I2/8P/S with two 4TB Seagate Skyhawks installed (they were lying around) and a DS-7732NXI-K4 with two 10TB WD Purple Pros installed (new, two more HDDs on the way). There is a DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/S incoming as well. The existing system was run off of a Ruckus ICX 7150-C12P. Right now, things are in a bit of a hybrid state :-p.

Events continue to unfold. Newly recorded video is being / will be used in police investigations.

Current problem: a DS-2CD2087G2-LU is installed and connected to the Ruckus PoE switch. It works. The DS-7732NXI-K4 is connected to it and recording stream 1. Sub-stream 2 is visible on the NVRs live view. However, stream 1 is not viewable using the NVR. The audio can be heard while seeing a black screen. Stream 1 can be viewed in a browser using the camera or NVR web interface.

Stream 1 has been set to use H.265+. If H.265+ is turned off, stream 1 is viewable on the NVR. The NVR is running firmware V4.73.006 build 221108. The DS-2CD2087G2-LU is running firmware V5.7.12 build 221201.

Edit to add the question that seems to have disappeared when I tried to post:

I would like to use H.265+ for storage efficiency but also require the camera feeds to be viewable on the NVR live. Help?

Last edited:
I've been using an older version of iVMS-4200 (recording and streaming server) on a Poweredge R330 running Windows Server for a number of years. Some recent events have required that it be taken offline to preserve video. Lots and lots of video. So, I've been throwing money at online retailers to get something in place as the security system gets updated.

The existing cameras were a mix of ColorVu, Darkfighter, and G1 bullets. No new locations are planed but some existing cameras have been replaced and others will be. 4K or bust. New cameras installed are DS-2CD2087G2-LU, DS-2CD2687G2T-LZS, and DS-2CD2T87G2-LSU/SL. Current (new) NVRs trying to fill the Poweredge's shoes are a DS-7808NXI-I2/8P/S with two 4TB Seagate Skyhawks installed (they were lying around) and a DS-7732NXI-K4 with two 10TB WD Purple Pros installed (new, two more HDDs on the way). There is a DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/S incoming as well. The existing system was run off of a Ruckus ICX 7150-C12P. Right now, things are in a bit of a hybrid state :-p.

Events continue to unfold. Newly recorded video is being / will be used in police investigations.

Current problem: a DS-2CD2087G2-LU is installed and connected to the Ruckus PoE switch. It works. The DS-7732NXI-K4 is connected to it and recording stream 1. Sub-stream 2 is visible on the NVRs live view. However, stream 1 is not viewable using the NVR. The audio can be heard while seeing a black screen. Stream 1 can be viewed in a browser using the camera or NVR web interface.

Stream 1 has been set to use H.265+. If H.265+ is turned off, stream 1 is viewable on the NVR. The NVR is running firmware V4.73.006 build 221108. The DS-2CD2087G2-LU is running firmware V5.7.12 build 221201.

Edit to add the question that seems to have disappeared when I tried to post:

I would like to use H.265+ for storage efficiency but also require the camera feeds to be viewable on the NVR live. Help?
Phil: if you're not interested in fulfilling your publicly stated mandate for this forum, keep playing moderation games. I'll ask elsewhere and post screenshots from here.

Phil: if you're not interested in fulfilling your publicly stated mandate for this forum, keep playing moderation games. I'll ask elsewhere and post screenshots from here.
Something in your original Post triggered a spam check, which placed your Post in the moderation queue.
I went through the queue this morning and approved/released your Post.
All of the other Posts in the queue from spammers were cleaned / deleted.
We cannot be available 24*7 to check.
We endeavour to keep the forum clean and useful.
Mostly the system works ...

Hi @microserf

This is an unusual issue, can I just double-check that I am understanding what you're describing correctly, please?

H.265+ on:
The main and sub- streams are both visible in the NVR's web browser interface, and the sound is working.
On the NVR's local GUI, you can see the sub-stream, but the main stream just shows a black screen with audio working.

H.26, H.264+, and H.265:
The main and sub- streams are both visible, both in the NVR's web browser interface and on the local GUI, and the sound is working.

Some other questions please:
  • Are you able to connect the camera to your DS-7808NXI-I2/8P/S to check for the same issue?
  • Does this only happen on the DS-2CD2087G2-LU? (The DS-2CD2T87G2-LSU/SL uses the same firmware, so it would be strange if all worked normally on this on the same NVR.)
  • Did you notice the same issue when the camera / NVR was on older firmware?

Consider yourself lucky Phil has patience. If you posted this in the only other forum out there with this kind of jackass attitude, you'd get banned.

Something in your original Post triggered a spam check, which placed your Post in the moderation queue.
I went through the queue this morning and approved/released your Post.
All of the other Posts in the queue from spammers were cleaned / deleted.
We cannot be available 24*7 to check.
We endeavour to keep the forum clean and useful.
Mostly the system works ...
The original post appeared just fine after the account was created and the email address was validated. While doing so, there were errors about cookies (I was not using restrictive browser settings, a VPN, TOR, or browser addons). Unfortunately, the entirety of the content did not make it to the opening post. So I edited it to add the missing content. That's when your username appeared as online and the post began being displayed with a strikethrough font.

I made a second comment after observing that, while you were online. Your last status showed you viewing the thread after the second comment was made and I went and did what I said I would do.

Hi @microserf

This is an unusual issue, can I just double-check that I am understanding what you're describing correctly, please?

H.265+ on:
The main and sub- streams are both visible in the NVR's web browser interface, and the sound is working.
On the NVR's local GUI, you can see the sub-stream, but the main stream just shows a black screen with audio working.

H.26, H.264+, and H.265:
The main and sub- streams are both visible, both in the NVR's web browser interface and on the local GUI, and the sound is working.

Some other questions please:
  • Are you able to connect the camera to your DS-7808NXI-I2/8P/S to check for the same issue?
  • Does this only happen on the DS-2CD2087G2-LU? (The DS-2CD2T87G2-LSU/SL uses the same firmware, so it would be strange if all worked normally on this on the same NVR.)
  • Did you notice the same issue when the camera / NVR was on older firmware?
H.265+ was enabled using the web interface of each camera. The main and sub streams use H.265, sound works using a few settings and I have not found one that does not work.

The problem was the NVR setting SVC to enabled when h.265+ was enabled. As soon as that happened, black screen. The fix was to set SVC to off using the web interface, then reboot the camera. The setting held after being reconnected to the NVR.

The DS-2CD2T87G2-LSU/SL (single unit, more incoming) was connected to the DS-7808NXI-I2/8P/S. The DS-7732NXI-K4 pulled the camera stream from that NVR. The 1.5U K-series is being used for longer (ish, I was using a Poweredge damnit) retention and redundancy. The DS-2CD2087G2-LU in question was connected to the standalone PoE switch.

I was trying to give a general idea of the situation in the opening post. The streams must flow...but not cross. Crackheads, and welfare sluts, and methheads, oh my!

H.265+ was enabled using the web interface of each camera.
My best guess is that may be because you were changing the codec on the cameras' web interface, rather than the NVR's?
We've found that if these settings don't match (on camera and NVR), it can cause strange behaviours.

Any setting available both on the camera and NVR should only be managed at the NVR, which should then carry the change over to the camera.

E.g. if they're set on the NVR, then carried across to the camera as a result, but then these settings are tweaked on each camera individually, it has been known to cause problems.

Back