01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Long-distance POE cameras

ColinDH

Hello, Newbie here.
I have a Sansco NVR with 8 cameras. Until now I have used only 6 and they have been fine. I use the XMEye Pro App. Not a fan so will be looking at another, but that for another day. Our gates are 100m from the house. I ran SWA to power the gates and also external grade CAT6 to the same position. The cables are not in a conduit but run between staggered established hedging plants so cross each other but are sometimes 300mm apart.
I am trying to use the single UTP for 2 cameras and power but no signal. I tried putting the camera power supply (15W) at the gate, directly to the cameras, and used single and even double pairs for the signal back but nothing. The actual cable run, because of routing, is 127m from NVR to the camera.
I'm not looking for perfect images but am getting nothing. Any options for 1 or preferably 2 cameras?
I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance ;-)
Colin

Hi @ColinDH

This Vigitron NetMux Vi00103 Ethernet and PoE Port Multiplexer might be what you need, it allows you to connect 2 cameras over one cable run.

Is your cable run exactly 100m? Do be aware that the maximum distance you can send a network/PoE signal (with network/PoE extenders) is 100m and you can start to see network instability if you are right at that 100m limit.

Thanks for the quick response.
As I stated, the actual cable run is exactly 127m. I guess it's not the power since I have now powered the cameras at the gates so it must be the signal that is being lost over the CAT6. That correct? In which case the thing you suggest would solve that? I will look into these. How do they supply power?

Hope this post helps others...
OK, solved! Supply local power at the camera (gates) so all 4 UTP pairs are free for data. I tried using the Br+Br/Wh for positive data and Bl+Bl/Wh for negative on one camera. No images or very intermittent. Then I used Br+Bl for positive and Br/Wh+Bl/Wh for negative. The lower resistance using 2 wires AND using one from each twisted pair gives a good consistent signal. The other gate camera of course uses Gr+Or for positive and Gr/Wh+Or/Wh for negative and gives an excellent image as well.
I don't know much about CCTV but I do know about data. The 100m drop-off for CAT5/6 isn't an absolute. It's not that it works at 90m but not at 110m. It is a point on a degradation curve that is chosen as a convenient round number. So in my case, 127m is working fine to support data from two cameras but using a local power supply.
Great to have found this forum and thanks for your input!
Colin

Back