01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Looking for feedback on outdoor CCTV cameras. Not sure which one...

praetorian

I've got an end of terrace UK house that backs onto an expanse of garages that are privately owned (by a housing association) who are aware that I have a camera pointing into that area - purely for the purposes of my protection. They're aware as there have been several break-ins to those garages over the past years and they've specifically asked for my footage to support the prosecutions.

It's about 10-12 garages that, at night, is pitch black as there is no lighting there at all. There's also been instances of drug deals, people having "relations" in their cars, using it as a public urinal, etc.

At the moment it's covered by a Reolink RLC-423 PTZ but the video quality at night is horrid, even after tweaking the utmost out of the settings to get the clearest picture possible. Being 5MP I thought it would be awesome, but alas... I didn't understand things properly at that point!

Ideally, I'd like the following but struggling to narrow it down:
  • 30m-50m coverage at night without external IR
  • Motorised lens (not essential)
  • PTZ (not essential)
  • POE/POE+ (essential)
  • Audio (not required)
  • H264/H265 streams
  • ONVIF compatible (feeding into BlueIris system)
  • To be mounted on a wall about 10/12ft (3.5-4m) elevation
Somebody else pointed me the direction of Vivotek devices (which look amazing!) and narrowed it down to 4 devices, all Bullet design (originally I was going to look at a dome)
  • Vivotek IB9389-EH-v2 5MP Bullet Camera
  • Vivotek IB9389-EHT-v2 5MP Varifocal Bullet Camera
  • Vivotek IB9387-HT-A 5MP Outdoor Bullet Camera
Thoughts/input would be great and apologies for the dumb question :)

Last edited:
Hi @praetorian

We would probably recommend the varifocal models (IB9389-EHT-v2 & IB9387-HT) as these give you more control over the FoV that the cameras cover and if you can get the camera's FoV adjusted to just cover the garages you would capture more detail than a fixed camera covering a wider FoV.

Back