01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

AX PRO New Alarm System: Using an IP camera to trigger an event

Hikvision's AX PRO intruder alarm systems

phillil0

It seems there isn't much info on this alarm system, which is surprising given the popularity of their Pyronix systems and the size of Hikvision generally.

I spent a lot of time researching alarms, and it came down to a toss up between the AX PRO and the AJAX. I was leaning to the former because I already had 6 x Hikvision IP cameras recording to a Synology NAS using their surveillance station app.
I thought it could be nice to have a single iPhone app to monitor and control the alarm and camera, and the Hik-connect app seemed to work well - I get instant alerts when a camera triggers a smart event and iPhone notification shows a still picture, plus it captures a small 10 second clip.

I wondered if it would be possible to seamlessly integrate the cameras and alarm, all controlled from a single app. Despite searching for many many hours on the net I couldn't find conclusive evidence, hence kept putting off my choice of alarm. AJAX fanboys just kept suggesting that it would be better to have 2 separate ecosystems blah blah....

So I eventually decided to take the plunge and order the AX PRO.... I ordered the M-level kit with a few addons, because I wanted to dabble with home automation (240V switch/relay and temperature sensor)

Anyway - to cut a short story even shorter, I can conclude that overall I have been extremely impressed with how easy and intuitive it was to setup the system, yet how configurable it is. It was pretty easy/straightforward to setup a camera to trigger a silent alarm, then off the back of that turn on a lamp in the house.

Reason I wanted to do this, is that I wanted to be able to trigger something subtle indoors (ie not setting off the full alarm) so it seemed as though there was activity (eg turn on a light or the TV) if activity was detected by one of my 6 outdoor cameras, thus hopefully deterring any would-be intruders.

Other use cases involve ignoring my central heating system thermostats if the outdoor temperature is above a certain temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully people have found my quick overview useful, but in the interest of fairness, I will post some of the issues I come against as I find them.
Right now the system is just sitting configured on my dining room table because I'm waiting for my Pyronix to be removed by our alarm company.

The good
  • Honestly too many points too list but....
  • Setup was super, super easy - I used the QR codes
  • 2 separate apps both seem really good - 1 for setup (Hik-Proconnect) and 1 for users (Hik-connect)
  • Multiple areas with completely different setup options and zone assignments
  • Each area has part-arm and full-arm - each zone can be included in each/both
  • Option to add door entry system and fancy 10" screen
  • Cameras can trigger events
  • Potential for home automation with relays, sensors etc.

The bad
  • No geofence - my Pyronix would remind me when I leave the property, and auto-arm was possible
  • Although the AX PRO panel is extremely loud at times (eg entering the program menu), the global door chime and alarm sounds are too quiet so need an internal sounder
  • Linking zones to trigger events is possible but a few workarounds required (eg in my Camera -> relay example, I had to cause an actual alarm condition in a virtual area). A few tweaks would make the system incredible
  • Although the apps are good, there doesn't seem to be a way to block certain notifications you don't want or need to see (eg from specific zones or areas)
  • Only a small number of video clips saved - in theory this shouldn't be a problem, but if the cameras generate a lot of events then just add a memory card (or use the NVR, or 3rd party app)
As I come across more good/bad points I'll post them in here over the next few weeks

Although the manual is pretty comprehensive, it would be impossible for Hikvision to cover all the scenarios, so if someone has a specific question, I'll be happy to give it a try and post back.
There's nothing worse then spending a £££££ assuming your new kit can do something it actually can't!!

Hey, good morning, hello.
Personally, I also have similar feelings about the AX PRO, the installation is simple, the operation is efficient, but you can see that the system is very limited or underdeveloped, which is very surprising for me considering which manufacturer we are dealing with. The documentation / instruction we get is at least not informative. There is no information here how it all works, what protocols, what dependencies, maybe it is secret knowledge. Nevertheless, I think that it should not be like that - ok for someone who wants to fire it plug & play, it's okay, but the alarm is not the same as, for example, a Wi-Fi router bought in a supermarket and fired on the default settings. I noticed that if we add an IPC camera to the AX PRO, the AX PRO takes priority over the internal settings in the camera and the rules that were set there practically do not work. So the function of such a linked camera with the AX PRO is basically a video recording during an event (alarm triggered) and there is no possibility to control, for example, an audible signal and LED strobe. I would like the remote control to make video sequences when disarming the alarm, or that when crossing the line, the camera would turn on the light in the soffit at the entrance to the house via DS-PM1-O1H-WE or trigger another action using PRO DS-PM1-O1. And the point is, of course, that the action is carried out in the LAN, and not using the relay outputs in the camera. The same applies to alarm inputs so that, for example, a smoke detector triggers the recording in the camera, but at the same time leaving the rules that were previously set in the IPC in peace. I think that if the AX PRO is supposed to be a plug & play device, let it be until the end, it is funny to write about it at all, this is my impression considering the experience of Hikvision programmers, the manual is probably written by the algorithm. We should also remember that there was AX HUB before, so there was probably enough time to refine the final project. I see mega potential in this alarm and as one ecosystem it is really a mega alternative to competitive solutions, but only when we are not forced to use "external" communication nodes to comfortably use this product. Perhaps I am wrong if anyone could show some interesting settings / explanations / documentation, I would be grateful. As of today, I am looking at these pages:
- - node-red-contrib-hikvision-ultimate

Hi Piotr,

actually everything you describe about using a IP camera to trigger events, turn a light on etc. IS POSSIBLE, and it's actually not that difficult. I agree that isn't that intuitive, but actually only requires a few steps.

I have a couple of camera's to detect an advanced event (eg line crossing) and then turn on the upstairs light - but it could easily arm or disarm a zone as well. I also have no problems whatsoever of the AX-PRO over-riding the camera's settings. It can be done with simple config on the iPhone app and I don't need to hard-wire anything to the camera output.

I also use a thermometer sensor to override (turn off) the boiler unless the outside temperature is below a certain value.

If you want help or me to explain then please let me know

Hi Piotr,

actually everything you describe about using a IP camera to trigger events, turn a light on etc. IS POSSIBLE, and it's actually not that difficult. I agree that isn't that intuitive, but actually only requires a few steps.

I have a couple of camera's to detect an advanced event (eg line crossing) and then turn on the upstairs light - but it could easily arm or disarm a zone as well. I also have no problems whatsoever of the AX-PRO over-riding the camera's settings. It can be done with simple config on the iPhone app and I don't need to hard-wire anything to the camera output.

I also use a thermometer sensor to override (turn off) the boiler unless the outside temperature is below a certain value.

If you want help or me to explain then please let me know
Hey, in fact, after updating my IPCAM firmware, I take my words back, I managed to make the camera control a different light, the schedules also stick to the settings, I guess it's ok now. Thanks for your interest!

Hey, I'm still worried about a few issues, so I have a few questions about AX PRO in tandem with 2x IPCAM of course Hikvision.
Why if I assign the cameras (in HIK-ProConnect) to the same location together with AX PRO, then if I set any schedule in IPC and assign its operation directly to the time axis, it works like this only until the first arming and disarming of the AX PRO - Remote or app doesn't matter. Previously, I thought it only works for the flashing LED, but unfortunately now I see that I can hardly use smart events normally, because the pre-set schedules and rules during operation, LED light and sound siren after the first "alarm cycle" ( remote control / app) the AP PRO control panel imposes its rules in these smart events. The result is that I can't use smart events even to record normal events because IPCAM (after disarming) starts scaring with light and sound,(( only what I could do is turn off the event LED and turn down the sound...) well and despite these changes and settings in the camera panel, everything returns to its original state after some time, so either I decide to stay in such a configuration where the AX PRO control unit manages the cameras and their events, or I have to "pull" the cameras (in Hik-ProConnect) to another location and virtually separate them from AX PRO, thus agreeing to the rules of schedules, which, as you know, is not exactly desirable, but at least it does not scare people around the property unnecessarily, and I ... I can sleep peacefully ;)

Dear,, and cordial Mr. @philil0, do you know where I'm making a mistake? greetings !

Last edited by a moderator:
Phill how do you do the line crossing and turn on lights?

I have my hikvision IP camera (ds2386G2 style etc) cameras linked to an NVR and through that I’ve set line crossing not via the AX pro (as i cannot see an option). I have just added the camera i want line crossing (already set in the NVR) to the AX Pro via the AX section of the iPhone HikConnect app.

It now looks like the photo however when you press the play button the wrong camera plays, the IP address is certainly the correct one. Not sure how relevant this is at this point.

I dont currently have a plug, switch, or relay but i thought I’d see the option and then go buy one.

So my questions are;

When you buy a plug do you get additional options appear in the app to link them to cameras or alarms or both?
Can you set times they trigger between, or just when the system is in various states of arm?
What sets the alarm off? The line crossing you’ve set as per the NVR? Or is there a way you setup line crossing in the AX Pro app?

Attachments

• F2926D35-9C21-4880-9381-643A05ABEE48.jpeg
    F2926D35-9C21-4880-9381-643A05ABEE48.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 237
  • CDA4DBC0-F52C-4055-A627-8F258C975DB7.jpeg
    CDA4DBC0-F52C-4055-A627-8F258C975DB7.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 221
When there is an alarm detected on ax pro, is it possible to send a trigger to the nvr without using a relay?

I tried linkage rules with the hik-partner pro app. It detects the event, however the alarm input trigger on the nvr doesnt work.

I selected normally open as alarm type. But there is nothing in the logs altough the linkage rule works. I tried other triggers it works. It is the alarm input from linkage rule that doesnt work. Anyone know why?

Ciao Piotr,

in realtà tutto ciò che descrivi sull'utilizzo di una telecamera IP per attivare eventi, accendere una luce ecc. È POSSIBILE, e in realtà non è così difficile. Sono d'accordo che non è così intuitivo, ma in realtà richiede solo pochi passaggi.

Ho un paio di telecamere per rilevare un evento avanzato (ad es. Attraversamento di linea) e quindi accendere la luce al piano di sopra, ma potrebbe facilmente inserire o disinserire anche una zona. Inoltre, non ho problemi di sorta con l'AX-PRO a sovrascrivere le impostazioni della fotocamera. Può essere fatto con una semplice configurazione sull'app per iPhone e non ho bisogno di cablare nulla all'uscita della fotocamera.

Uso anche un sensore del termometro per escludere (spegnere) la caldaia a meno che la temperatura esterna non sia inferiore a un certo valore.

Se vuoi aiuto o me per spiegare, per favore fatemelo sapere
hello and thank you for your overview, which outdoor camera should you buy so that it can recognize human presence. paired with an external PIR sensor and avoid false alarms ?

Back