01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Playing back my cheap IP camera's h264 files?

dogdaddy

Hello I've a cheap IP camera and the h264 files aren't playable or won't ffmpeg, I can only hear the audio stream in an alien 264 player.
I'm hoping this isn't encrypted but just a codec? any help would be ace it's been bugging me.

Hi @dogdaddy

the footage would only be encrypted if an encryption key was set on the camera/NVR you downloaded it from, it sounds more like just a CODEC compatibility issue. The compression means that many video players can't play the footage properly, we would recommend trying VLC and if that doesn't work you will probably need to find a conversion tool (VLC has one built-in) to try and convert the file to a more standard .mp4 or .mov file.

Can you provide any more details about the camera brand/models you are using?

Standard H.264 footage should be viewable via one of the above methods, I can only think that the particular brand you are using has some additional special compression/encryption that they are using.

okay, we've never heard of this brand before and no product page can be found on Google for that model number.

I think your only options will be to try and make contact with Meicoy to ask them or hope that another user here has a solution that has worked with other cheap IP camera brands.

Back