01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

poe wiring conumdrum

treaney

i have a single cat 5 cable running in a conduit from my office under my yard to my shed approx. 25m away. this was used to feed a network switch to which was connected a pc, a rpi and a wireless ap. i had to sacrifice this cable and repurpose it as a poe cable for my shed webcam. this now works fine but how do i get ethernet to the computers in the shed with only the one cable?

thanks, tom.

Use a POE switch at the shed webcam end - that will provide power for your camera and allow you to connect other devices. Then at your office end - plug your cable into your regular router. All your PC's etc should go back to working as they did - and your camera should be viewable through it's usual ip address.

thanks for your reply cymruchris. i dont have a poe switch to hand but while im waiting to get one delivered, i have a tp link passive poe injector adaptor. that i will try. i noted your suggestion to connect to the nw switch rather than the camera nvr.
tp link passive poe injector.jpg

Used a fibre connection and two tp switches, I did have 5 cat links which were a nuisance at the distance. Not necessary for most but a nice option.

Back