01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Poor wifi for cctv

codfather

Hi. I have poor wifi ( average 14 mb/s ) and have difficulty with keeping connected to security cameras , anyone give me advice on the best camera for poor signal and limited budget please ?

What cameras are you using now?

Are they connected to a network video recorder?

When you say you're having difficulty keeping connected - do you mean your cameras are wifi based? Or that your phone/tablet/laptop isn't able to access them due to poor internet?

If they are wifi based - what's the internet upload/download speed at your router using a network cable connected to a pc or laptop?

Hi. It was a 1080 p home security wifi cam . My download speed is 14 mb/s through Ethernet cable .the camera was used via the wifi . No not connected to a network recorder . I would like to know if any of these cams work on a low network speed ?

Some Hikvision cameras have wifi capabilities - and as such you could log into the camera to reduce quality settings to suit the available bandwidth - but the danger would be by going so low in quality that the end result picture might not be overly useable. Have you looked at changing broadband providers? Or moving to a 4g/5g hub to see if you can get better upload/download speeds?

I will look into the hikvision units as we can only get 4g where we live and we are at the maximum for any providers unfortunately . Thanks for the advice ,

Have you tried running a speed checker to see the actual speeds across various 4g networks? some of them can be quite reasonable now. I get 20-30 mbps on download and 15-20 upload on Vodafone 4g where I am. You could get a free/low cost sim from each carrier - test them out to see which offers the fastest connection via your mobile, and then get a 4g router to run your internet off whichever network gives the best signal. I've got a 4g connection running in a church on the top of a mountain miles from the phone mast which gives me constant access to an 8 channel video recorder at any time of day or night.

Ezviz maybe?

WiFi is cool, but each camera is basically a little WiFi jammer tbh considering you are streaming, lots and lots of packets flooding your airways. WiFi only has so much capacity per channel, if you flood it ALL devices suffer.

Thus, for streaming ( CCTV, TVs, Consoles, etc ) I prefer to do a wired route if possible. WiFi = last resort.
On a more serious note, it's easy to knock your cameras for a loop, just turn on your microwave, same frequency, so with a strong enough transmitter, your security can be compromised a bit easier ( & from a distance ) than if it was a physical wire run.

Back