01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Rack / Cabinet recommendations for NVR and Switch

Technoir

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a rack / cabinet (or anything else) I could use to mount a Hikvision DS-7616NI-M2-16P NVR and Netgear switch into keep them from getting knocked. I also have an old NAS that needs to sit somewhere, as well. I think I'd prefer a closed box as opposed to a shelf-based system, as long as it allows for air-flow.

The dimensions are:
NVR: 385 x 322 x 52 mm
Switch: 440 x 257 x 44 mm
NAS: 160 x 218 x 88 mm

Thanks in advance.

Hikvision PTZ cameras
Perhaps have a look at the options available at CPC

Hi Technoir

with regards to buying a cabinet to fit the NVR, I went out and bought one after measuring my NVR which has the same measurements as yours.
The cabinet I got was a 9U, 19 ich rack cabinet. which was 570 wide x 450 deep x 500 high. thinking that my NVR was 322 deep that it would fit nicely inside.
However, the measurements are the outside diameter and not the inside
So, the inside is designed for a 19-inch rack, edge to edge, so roughly 484mm. and rest of the space left over is to allow wiring of around 50mm at each side.
so with regards to your switch once you fit a 19-inch shelf, you might just be able to squeeze it in, because mine has a maximum width of 440mm.

And now comes the depth issue that got me into a world of pain. shelf I ordered was 300mm in depth, which considering the cabinet was 450 deep (outside) after fitting the shelf I had only 50mm at the back. Which was ok to allow for wiring. And 50mm at the front to allow cables to plug into the patch panel.

And my NVR only been 322mm deep sat on the shelf nicely, all was happy days until come to putting all the cables into the back of the NVR, mains cable, HDMI and all the patch panel cables for the cameras, the mains cable once inserted into the NVR stuck out roughly 80mm from the back. So, the NVR was over hanging the shelf at the front and right to the glass door more or less.

So, my option was to buy angled down power cable, and an angled HDMI etc., so it fitted nicely.

Ok it would have fitted but buying the angled cable made it fit better and also look smarter.
therefore if I was going to buy again, I would go for a deeper cabinet, maybe a 600mm deep and buy 350mm or 400mm shelfs. At a push maybe a 550 cabinet and 350mm shelf.
now going back to your switch, if it has brackets which to fit on the side for a 19 ich rack you should to ok, and depth wise, mine is 500mm with is a 9U I believe. Which gives me room for 2 shelfs and 2 patch panels plus room for cable tidy and little space at the bottom.
In hindsight, I probably would have gone for a 12U to give a bit of future proofing for extra snuff.

Apologies for the long-winded novel. However, it was the best way I could try and explain the situation. Hope this helps and will try and upload with some photos later.

Last edited:
Hi Technoir,
Couple pics, They are not that brilliant, however they'll show you the cables and the difference between getting angled cables to fit in with the cabinet. I just pulled it out of cabinet to show cables.
I am in between of moving the cabinet from the loft and back down into a bedroom cupboard. My idea was if up in the loft, would be out the way and wouldn't hear the fan buzzing away, plus no one would find it..
However with me not being 100% fit at the time, I didn't get time to wire it up. I did fit a Sonoff temperature sensor inside of it. which was connect to fans inside of the cabinet, which can be set at a on temperature and off temperature.
The temperatures inside the cabin in the loft ranged between. 39 degrees in the summer and 2 degrees in the winter.
I read somewhere on the forum that the NVR can handle the temperatures. However that doesn't take into account the humidity fluctuations up there.
When I got finally got round to wire up and install the NVR, I noticed that the cabinet screws where rusting.
so if that happens to the screws, what would end up to the NVR and PCB etc.
So with that in mind, I decided to move it back downstairs into one of the bedroom cupboards. And with it being in the cabinet and the door shut. I'm unable to hear the fan. it doesn't keep me awake at night.
With regards to your last question regarding airflow, the cabinet has got slots in the sides, top and bottom for ventilation. So air flow isn't really a problem. With me fitting the Sonoff temperature sensor inside. If the temperature did rise. Let's say above 20 degrees, It would automatically turn the fans on. And turn off once it drops below my set temperature of say 16 degrees.

Attachments

• 20230217_113350.jpg
    20230217_113350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
  • 20230217_113701.jpg
    20230217_113701.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20230217_114119.jpg
    20230217_114119.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 20230217_114149.jpg
    20230217_114149.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 154
Many thanks for this invaluable information, Nightbadger, you've saved me much faffing about!

Currently looking at something like this maybe - are Orion any good?

These are the shelves - not sure if they come with the mounting brackets though, are these something I need to buy separately?

Can you let me know if a wall mounted unit can bebused free standing (by possibly adding some feet to the bottom)? I ask as many of the smaller cabinets appear to only come wall mounted, which isn't ideal.
Perhaps have a look at the options available at CPC
Thank Phil, I'll take a look :)

Last edited:
Yes, like Phil said, look on CPC website. I’ve had a quick look on the site and have a fantastic range of stuff regarding cabinets, accessories. And seem very reasonable prices.

Once you find roughly what you’re looking for. You can always look on other websites for a comparison price. Sometimes you can get a lot of the accessories cheaper off eBay.

It's all down to your own preferences if that's a wall or freestanding one. the freestanding ones seem quite expensive for what they are. Some have wheels on and others have legs. Understand that sometimes freestanding might be the only option.
My cabinet has removable sides for easier access, some cabinets have removable lockable sides, which could be a consideration to stop others from disconnecting or switching settings.

It's a big learning curve finding what is what, but like yourself, I done some research and watched plenty of YouTube videos and slowly bit by bit things stated to fall into place. Plus you get plenty of advice from others on the forum to point you in the right direction.

I would definitely do a bit of research before buying one. Go on YouTube and do searches for network cabinets and installs. And spend a couple of hours. Honestly there are people with some really good ideas and solutions. Like yourself I never fitted one and had my little trials and errors along the way. As I already mentioned.

Selecting the correct cabinet is only the start. Then there’s the shelves, the nuts and bolts, the power supply. That’s where the YouTube videos really come into play.

@Technoir What was your final solution?

Does the DS-7616NI-M2-16P come with rack mounting brackets?

I'm considering buying:
  • All-Rack 9U 550mm Deep Data Cabinet, Wall Mounted, Grey, 19-Inch Rackmount (W600mm x D550mm)
  • All-Rack 1U Fixed Vented Cantilever Data Cabinet Shelf (300mm Deep) SHELF1U300
  • Connectix 24-Port CAT6 Unshielded Patch Panel, 1U, Rackmount, Vertical Punch, Black (009-001-001-40)

I had initially selected the 450mm deep version, but switched to the 550mm one after reading the comments from @Nightbadger.

I also have a DS-3E1105P-EI (4 Port PoE Switch) - guessing that would just have to sit on a shelf?

Back