01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Recommended 4G/5G router and SIM for remote site CCTV? (in the UK)

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask the crowd please:
For CCTV at remote sites (in the UK), what 4G/5G routers and SIM cards work well?
Do you just use a mainstream UK Telco SIM with unlimited data?
What's a typical monthly cost for such a SIM please?
Fixed IP, or not necessary?

Thanks,
Phil

Yes - regular unlimited data simcard and a regular unlocked 4g router is enough for older kit - not sure how it might manage with a full run of 8mp cameras on the latest nvr’s though - imagine it’ll still be fine, as you don’t actually get 8mp worth of image being sent to your phone screen.

The remote site I have is on the top of a mountain in wales. It’s using a regular 4g router with a direct connection to the NVR via standard network cable. There’s enough bandwidth that the church can also livestream services via YouTube.

It’s a K series NVR with 8 x cameras, mostly 2-4 mp, and all load up quickly on the hikvision app in both basic and hd. Playback is also easy.

You might have to activate the sim in a phone first, and then transfer it to your router.

Run a site survey through the national map checkers to see who has the strongest coverage.

Don’t use Three. They promise the world and deliver a Birmingham back alley if you’re lucky. Constant disconnections, routers failing, poor signal.

Vodafone on the site in question has performed flawlessly. It’s been running nearly two years - haven’t ever even needed to restart the router. At the time we took out the deal it was about £27 a month unlimited.

Currently they have an unlimited data sim with a max download of 100mbps at £33 a month inclusive. If it’s a private customer deals can be had via cashback sites to improve the offer further.

IMG_6811.png

I’d also consider the other big names - but just to stress again - three is rubbish. (I also put a Three 5g router into another church in a high signal area, and that kept falling over too).

You can also get dedicated 4g/5g routers as part of a package deal (make sure they’re not wireless only and have rj45 connections on them) - but I preferred the unlocked router so that I could change the card at any time if needed (although so far after the three debacle Vodafone has been perfect)

Last edited:
Great info, thanks for sharing.
When you say that you used an unlocked router, do you mean one that you purchased outright?
If so, do you know what makes and models of routers you have proven and been happy with please?
Thanks

Great info, thanks for sharing.
When you say that you used an unlocked router, do you mean one that you purchased outright?
If so, do you know what makes and models of routers you have proven and been happy with please?
Thanks
In our case we had a couple of GEM420 routers donated to us from a local CCTV company - they're not recent models, but they said they were solid pieces of kit, and the last two years of flawless connection have demonstrated that :) (There's one on ebay at the moment so they do pop up used). They don't look pretty, but are very functional.

I'd much rather buy an unlocked router outright - and then run my own choice of simcard than get a tied router.

@Kyle has just reminded me that one of our rail customers has purchased several of this Teltonika 5G router from us (dual-SIM ~ approx. £350 +VAT) and have been very pleased with them:
RUTX50 Industrial 5G Router

Teltonika have an extensive range of 3G/4G/5G routers (from a little over £100 +VAT):
Teltonika Networks Ethernet and 4G/5G Cellular Routers

The GEM420 mentioned above by @cymruchris is from a manufacturer called PROroute, that model is now EOL, but their current models are shown here:
Proroute Routers - Proroute Ltd

More than happy for others to chime-in with their experiences, to help others select routers and SIMs.

@Kyle has just reminded me that one of our rail customers has purchased several of this Teltonika 5G router from us (dual-SIM ~ approx. £350 +VAT) and have been very pleased with them:
RUTX50 Industrial 5G Router

Teltonika have an extensive range of 3G/4G/5G routers (from a little over £100 +VAT):
Teltonika Networks Ethernet and 4G/5G Cellular Routers

The GEM420 mentioned above by @cymruchris is from a manufacturer called PROroute, that model is now EOL, but their current models are shown here:
Proroute Routers - Proroute Ltd

More than happy for others to chime-in with their experiences, to help others select routers and SIMs.
Speak to Home 4G/5G installations, Networking, Building to Building WiFi, Fibre - solwise.co.uk | Solwise Ltd they’ll help.

Back in 2015 I used the GEM420 on 6 oil rigs as primary / backup comms. Very reliable gui was a bit fiddly. I still use one at home as a failover.
David

Back