01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Swann 84750 problems

Sorbz62

Hi everybody,

New guy here - Jim!

I bought a house which has an 8 camera Swann system - analog cameras attached to a Swann 84750 DVR. The issue is that it doe snot boot up but rather all lights start flashing, it Beebs every second or so and O can hear what sound alike the HDD starting up but stopping - all the time.

I called the Swann helpline but they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. So I unplugged everything, took the power supply with the DVR to my workshop and tested the power supply - 12v at is should be. The DVR doe sthe same thing. Am I SOL or is there anything else I can do?

Secondly, Can I use another generic DVR with my cameras with a cloud featur eto check th when I'm away?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim,
Probably not much that you can do with that DVR TBH.

IF the cameras are standard analogue CCTV, then you should be able to use any DVR.
I'd expect to see standard co-ax cable to the cameras.
And also standard push & twist BNC connectors being used to connect the cameras to the DVR.

There are other possibilities / nuances that may prevent it working, so I would recommend that you purchase a replacement DVR from a reputable supplier (just in case there are compatibility issues and you need to return it).

Hi Jim,
Probably not much that you can do with that DVR TBH.

IF the cameras are standard analogue CCTV, then you should be able to use any DVR.
I'd expect to see standard co-ax cable to the cameras.
And also standard push & twist BNC connectors being used to connect the cameras to the DVR.

There are other possibilities / nuances that may prevent it working, so I would recommend that you purchase a replacement DVR from a reputable supplier (just in case there are compatibility issues and you need to return it).
Thanks Phil,

As I thought really. What would be a decent DVR to buy which will give me the ability to access securely via IP/ Internet, maybe bette rthan the Swann model?

We never work with analogue cameras and DVRs, so I'm afraid I am not best placed to give you good advice on that :(

Another forum member may be able to though.

We sell a lot of Hikvision IP CCTV kit.
They offer analogue CCTV DVRs too.
Those would give you the internet connection and App access.
But, best to speak to a vendor with more hands-on experience with their DVRs.

I had a similar failure which was eventually traced to the 12volt 2 amp wall wart psu. At first glance it appeared to be working fine giving 12vdc output. However once plugged into the actual dvr then under load it dropped to about 3 volts output, the cause was eventually traced to a faulty capacitor in the psu, 22uf@400v rating it had failed and subsequently so had any voltage regulation. Replacing it made it work again, I was lucky because sometimes such a failure can potentially cause damage to the cameras and the dvr unit itself.
In the long term I'm intending to source a psu with a higher capacity. Maybe 3 or 4 amps as the one supplied appears to be under some strain when fully loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back