01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Water or condensation in dome? Advice required please

AndySco

Hi

I'm new here so apologies in advance

Recently we've had to assist with a police / theft incident and on reviewing footage we've noticed one of our 5 cameras has blurred vision.

The dome looks to have suffered either water ingress or internal condensation (see photo)

Can anyone anyone suggest how to rectify the problem? (in plain English as I am a bit of a technophobe plus I don't know one end of a screwdriver from another!)

I'm looking at undoing the three screws on view as a starting point; is that a good idea? If so, what then?

Any help gratefully received
IMG20230825113549.jpg

Thanks in advance

Rgds Andy

I have had a couple of camera do this after many years of being exposed, One option is to take down and store inside somewhere warm/dry for several days/weeks and hope the condensation goes away.

I have never attempted to open/re-seal cameras, I just decided re-use them somewhere else more protected from the weather and put a new camera in the place that's getting the bad weather.

Long term maybe you could install some sort of weatherproof cowling? But some places just sometimes get driving wind/rain.

I have had a couple of camera do this after many years of being exposed, One option is to take down and store inside somewhere warm/dry for several days/weeks and hope the condensation goes away.

I have never attempted to open/re-seal cameras, I just decided re-use them somewhere else more protected from the weather and put a new camera in the place that's getting the bad weather.

Long term maybe you could install some sort of weatherproof cowling? But some places just sometimes get driving wind/rain.
Hi, thanks for responding. So do I just undo the three screws? Wish I could find the instructions

In short, yes. The screws in your photo are securing the camera and surround to the base junction box. When you undo those screws, depending on the camera model you should find one or more cables to disconnect in the junction box. See here for example:
If it's been installed with the weatherproof thing on the cable (last pic above) you may need to unscrew the threaded part to loosen and then twist the connector anti-clockwise to see the network connector.

You may also find a thin wire (anti-drop) cable with a loop on a hook - unhook the loop to take camera fully down.

If you take it down for any period of time you need to weatherproof the junction box, I use a rubber glove if it will fit or a plastic bag with tape or something like that. Don't leave the cables in the junction box exposed to the elements.

In short, yes. The screws in your photo are securing the camera and surround to the base junction box. When you undo those screws, depending on the camera model you should find one or more cables to disconnect in the junction box. See here for example:
If it's been installed with the weatherproof thing on the cable (last pic above) you may need to unscrew the threaded part to loosen and then twist the connector anti-clockwise to see the network connector.

You may also find a thin wire (anti-drop) cable with a loop on a hook - unhook the loop to take camera fully down.

If you take it down for any period of time you need to weatherproof the junction box, I use a rubber glove if it will fit or a plastic bag with tape or something like that. Don't leave the cables in the junction box exposed to the elements.
Thanks very much, all the best

That's a HD analogue camera not an IP camera. They're not the best build quality to be honest - that particular model is plastic. I've known moisture ingress to be an issue with many of the HDTVi cameras and I'd just replace it. You can get to the BNC connection in the base by just removing the Philips screws to the backbone. To remove the camera from the backbox, just spin the base to align the marks on the plastic and twist a coin in the groove to separate it. There'll be 3 M4 screws holding the backplate to the backbox lid

Back