01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Wifi dongle/NVR compatibility?

Ld27

Hi,
I’m looking at putting a small system together with this camera

And this NVR

The camera will be connected via PoE to the NVR but it is not possible to run any cable between the router and the NVR. If I use this wifi dongle with this specific NVR can anyone see any problems arising? Apologies if it seems a simple question but it’s the first time putting a system like this together.

Thanks in advance
Lewis

@Ld27 Lewis,
Could you use this instead?

I used to use these between my NVR's and cameras, better than wifi. The mains sockets must use the same electrical distribution panel.

David

There is no official compatibility list as such for the WiFi dongles that some versions of NVR can use (the NVR you specified can use a WiFi dongle that can be configured by the NVR) - some will work, some will not. It's possible to use a WiFi bridge such as the Vonets models (available on Amazon) to facilitate the connection but they need to be configured using another device first.

If you want to use a dongle that will work directly look for one that contains RTL8188EUS:8179 or RTL8192EU:818b in the PID. PID can be found in Properties > Hardware IDs on a PC that the dongle is connected to (that info was provided by Hikvision to me some time ago)

As @David mentions - Powerline adapters can be used, I've used these many times and rarely had an issue (always plug them into the wall outlet and never an extension lead). I usually use the TP-Link PA4010PKIT (normally about £33 on Amazon). Don't waste money on a model that promises faster speeds; the speed achievable will be dependent on the mains wiring and whether or not the paired devices are on the same circuit. I'll usually do a couple of speed tests while connected directly to the router, then repeat those tests connected via the remote power line adapter (though that will only provide an indication and may alter if other devices are powered on generating noise on the circuit)

Last edited:
@Ld27
Following on from @JB1970. If you have to use your wifi network consider my suggestions.

If you have an existing wifi mesh network node, with ethernet ports, can you easily connect the node to the NVR. Or reposition a node.

Use a dongle with dual external antennas, minimum wifi5.

Try to use the 5GHz wifi network only, the 2.4GHz network has better range but less bandwidth is available. It is also more prone to local (microwave oven etc) interference. My home wifi only uses 5GHz mesh, there is a separate wifi network for legacy 2.4GHz devices.

David

(the NVR you specified can use a WiFi dongle that can be configured by the NVR)
The WiFi functionality seems to have been removed in the latest firmware (4.76.005). There used to be a heading in the 7604NXI Network > General page but it's been removed (which is a backward step). I guess an externally configured wireless bridge or Powerline will have to be used where it's not practical to cable.

Thanks for all of your replies. Power line adapters might be difficult as I don’t think that they will be on the same circuit it’s for a large chalet. What a shame that wifi functionality has been removed. Seems a bit stupid! Is there any reason using a simple tp-link wifi extender wouldn’t work with an Ethernet output from there directly to the NVR? Thanks again

Thanks for all of your replies. Power line adapters might be difficult as I don’t think that they will be on the same circuit it’s for a large chalet. What a shame that wifi functionality has been removed. Seems a bit stupid! Is there any reason using a simple tp-link wifi extender wouldn’t work with an Ethernet output from there directly to the NVR? Thanks again
Powerline adapters don't need to be on the same circuit. They would certainly need to be on the same phase and work best if on the same circuit so still worth trying.

The TP-Link WiFi adapters that feature an RJ45 port on the bottom will work fine. I don't like them as they re-broadcast the WiFi network (at least they do in their default configuration). Perhaps that feature can be turned off using the software to make it a simple WiFi bridge which would be better. The Vonets VAP11N can be configured as a bridge.

I'm not sure why the WiFi configuration would've been removed. It definitely was present on a 7604NXI NVR I used recently but is also definitely missing on the one that I unboxed last week. I updated the firmware using web browser prior to connecting it to a monitor so can't be sure when it was removed.

I saw the Vonets equipment actually so if that comes recommended and I know that will work then I think that would be the easiest solution for me. I really appreciate the help and advice. Thanks!

I saw the Vonets equipment actually so if that comes recommended and I know that will work then I think that would be the easiest solution for me. I really appreciate the help and advice. Thanks!
Yes I've used the Vonets and it has been stable. They can use a power adaptor or be powered directly from the rear USB port of the NVR.

Back