01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

180° camera for surveillance of the entrance area?

SaveCam

Hello,

I want to install a 180 degree Hikvison camera at my entrance area. I sketched the situation in a picture.

I'm hesitating between the DS-2CD2367G2P-LSU/SL (ColorVu) and the DS-2CD2366G2P-ISU/SL (AcuSense).
I would much prefer the camera with ColorVu. Unfortunately, I don't know if the ColorVu camera is affected much more than the AcuSense version by the light under the camera.

The biggest problem is the issue with the junction box.
I have seen Youtube videos of turret cameras (G2) being mounted on the DS-1280ZJ-DM21.
Does this box also fit the DS-2CD2367G2P-LSU/SL (ColorVu) or DS-2CD2366G2P-ISU/SL?

And from your point of view, is a 180 degree camera suitable for my purpose?
Or do I have to reckon with restrictions if I mount the cameras on the wall and not on the ceiling?
Camera.jpg

Hi @SaveCam

First of all, I would recommend looking a the below forum threads where users have shared screenshots of the FoV you would get from these 180-degree cameras:

From those examples, I don't think the light being below the ColorVu model will be an issue.

The problem is mounting, although both these examples have (I think) been wall mounted the Hikvision recommendation is not to wall mount these cameras (ceiling or soffit only) because there is no compatible junction box for this model and so when wall mounting you run into the cabling issues that the user in the first thread above had.

These turrets won't fit the standard DM21 turret junction box because they are actually substantially larger than the standard turret, a standard 2387G2 has a base diameter of 138mm and the panoramic turret has a diameter of 155mm. If your building is actually as small as your drawing, this bigger size could look out of place and ugly.

You should also be aware of these important notes/limitations of the panoramic turret:
- Currently does not support the use of privacy masks​
- Currently you can only mount this camera on the ceiling​
- It features both alarm and audio I/O terminal connections​
- 2 x 4mm lenses are stitched together for the 180° FoV​
- Although features 2 lenses only requires 1 Channel on an NVR​
- Not compatible with the DS-7604NI-K1 NVRs​
- It is recommended to use the Hikvision I or M series NVRs
- The camera cannot be rotated left/right but ONLY up/down​

In most residential installs where they need to cover a small area, we usually just recommend a fixed 2.8mm model like the DS-2CD2387G2-LU 8MP ColorVu Turret.

a standard 2387G2 has a base diameter of 138mm and the panoramic turret has a diameter of 155mm.
The datasheet (Link) of Hikvision says 140 mm for the DS-2CD2367G2P. So I though, that it maybe will fit on the junction box for the G2 Turret.

Is the diameter in the hikvision datasheet than only the camera and the base has a diameter of 155 mm?

I believe the lens configuration between the 6MP & 8MP models is slightly different which means the physical shape & size of them are slightly different.

If the measurements match up for the 6MP to fit a DM21 junction box then that should be possible, but the camera's datasheet only suggests mounting with wall brackets so that the camera is mounted in a horizontal ceiling-mounted position.

As I mentioned above, it might be possible to wall mount with a junction box, but this will limit the level of adjustment you can make to the camera once mounted.

I think that, as security professional, we have some resistance to 180°/fisheye cameras.
They tend to be over-hyped.
Like a 'new trick' from the manufacturers.

Lay-people tend to be chuffed that they can see a very wide area - they can 'cover it all' with just one camera.

We are experienced in reviewing recordings after incidents and therefore are very aware that you are highly unlikely to be able to 'identify an unknown person' from footage capture from a fisheye / 180° camera :(

In the linked threads that @Dan inserted above, look at the screenshots with the builders and cement mixer on the front drive - assess the detail in the faces ...

So, horses for courses.

In most residential installs where they need to cover a small area, we usually just recommend a fixed 2.8mm model like the DS-2CD2387G2-LU 8MP ColorVu Turret.
OK, thanks for your hints. Then this recommendation would probably be the better one in the end and there is also an official suitable junction box.

However, I am also a little unsure about mounting the DS-2CD2387G2-LU on the wall.
There is an “Up” printed on the camera photos.
If I mount the camera on my wall and let it look down towards the front door, then "Up" would end up being down and not up.
Is that also a problem?

And are there pictures here in the forum how big the viewing angle of the camera is in reality?

Hi @SaveCam

This is the difference between the standard turret and the panoramic turret, the panoramic turret is hard to orientate correctly when wall mounted (see one of the other users whose camera was upside down when wall mounted), but the standard turrets have 3-axis of adjustment so that during the installation you can pan, tilt, and rotate the ball of the turret into almost any position (e.g. if the up marker is at the bottom when first installed on the wall just rotate the ball until the UP is pointing up the wall).

In regards to the FoV you would get from the standard 2.8mm 8MP turret, see the below screenshot from our office demo camera (this is positioned slightly higher than yours would be and you would probably angle yours down a little more to get more coverage below the camera).

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 11.32.26.png

In regards to the FoV you would get from the standard 2.8mm 8MP turret, see the below screenshot from our office demo camera (this is positioned slightly higher than yours would be and you would probably angle yours down a little more to get more coverage below the camera).
Thank you for the screenshot. This looks very good, but I think in my case the vertical viewing angle could be too smal.
Could the DS-2CD2345G0P-I be an option or is this a "bad" camera?

Hi @SaveCam

It's true that the 180 camera will give you more vertical FoV, but that is because it uses an ultra-wide 1.68mm lens which is basically a fisheye. With a fisheye lens, you will see increased warping (see the lamppost in the above screenshot, that curvature at the edges will be more pronounced with an ultra-wide lens) and the issue of PPM (Pixels Per Meter).

PPM is a way of measuring the level of pixel detail you will get at certain resolutions & focal lengths, with a 4MP (4 million pixels) ultra-wide camera you will get fewer pixels per meter than an 8MP (8 million pixels) with a narrower FoV which means less detail over long distances for the ultra-wide camera.

See this YouTube Demo of the 2345G0P-I to see the warping and loss of detail.

See this YouTube Demo of the 2345G0P-I to see the warping and loss of detail.
Thank you.
I thik this could be enough for me.

But why are here in the datasheet two junction boxes avalible? :(
  • DS-1280ZJ-DM8 = Φ126.7 mm
  • DS-1280ZJ-M = Φ157
Which is the right for wall mounting?

Hi @SaveCam

Both of these junction boxes are compatible with the camera and can be used for wall mounting.

The DS-1280ZJ-M is the traditional junction box that all turret models used, as you will see from the little image on the datasheet it has a lid and the camera sits on top with a small lip protruding around the edge (this is why the dimensions are larger). On newer turret models, Hikvision tweaked the mounting design of the turrets and introduced the DM8 junction box which is smaller and has no lid so the camera just fits flush on top of the box.

We would probably recommend the DM8 as there is more stock available of those newer boxes and the flush fit looks better on the wall.

Back