01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

2 cameras on one PoE port on NVR?

sharky24

Sorry if this is a dumb question (it sounds dumb in my head) but...

I have a HIKVISION DS-7732NI-K4/16P NVR which currently has around 5 HIKVISION DS-2CD2346G2-I network cameras attached directly into the PoE ports on the back of the NVR. All good and working well.

I've got one location that needs two cameras but I've only got one cable run there which is currently powering one camera.

I have a D-Link 2-port PoE extender that is capable of powering two of cameras from the existing cable (that's getting power from the PoE port on the back of the NVR).

Should I be able to see the feed from both cameras in the Hikvision web portal? In my mind both cameras are connected to the same port on the back of the NVR so I can't see how it can differentiate the feeds from two cameras?

If I'm connecting cameras directly into the 16 PoE ports on the back of the NVR must each one have it's own dedicated cable between it and the NVR?

This is a question for another time (but kind of related)... How does it work if I ever wanted to have more than 16 cameras attached to the NVR (which can take up to 32 cameras/channels)? Would that need a PoE switch with enough ports and juice to accommodate the cameras and in turn it just feeds into the single LAN port on the back of the NVR?

Thanks all...

Hi @sharky24

You've basically got it all figured out.

On older NVR models like the K-series model you have, it is only possible to have a single camera stream feeding into each PoE port because the NVR gives the directly connected cameras individual IP addresses and if you connected 2 to the same port it wouldn't know what to do (most likely it would activate one and ignore the other).

To connect those 2 cameras to the NVR you would need to connect that 2-port extender to either your LAN router or a network switch connected to your local network (the same local network that the NVR is connected to). You can then assign individual local network IP addresses to each camera and then manually add each camera to the NVR using those IP addresses.

This would also be how you would add the additional 16 cameras to fill the full 32-channels that the NVR supports, although obviously, you would use multiple PoE switches/injectors to do this.

Hi @sharky24

You've basically got it all figured out.

On older NVR models like the K-series model you have, it is only possible to have a single camera stream feeding into each PoE port because the NVR gives the directly connected cameras individual IP addresses and if you connected 2 to the same port it wouldn't know what to do (most likely it would activate one and ignore the other).

To connect those 2 cameras to the NVR you would need to connect that 2-port extender to either your LAN router or a network switch connected to your local network (the same local network that the NVR is connected to). You can then assign individual local network IP addresses to each camera and then manually add each camera to the NVR using those IP addresses.

This would also be how you would add the additional 16 cameras to fill the full 32-channels that the NVR supports, although obviously, you would use multiple PoE switches/injectors to do this.
Thanks Dan

I found that the additional camera had been given an IP address but it didn't automatically show the camera in the live view. I had to then manually add it into the camera configuration using the ip address it was given and I could get it into the live view and manage it.

Reactions: Dan
Back