01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

2 IP Camera on 1 Router - HOW TO ?

cover

Hello, I am trying to add a second camera onto a router and having some difficulty. The router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. It's been a great router for the single IP camera.

My questions:
Will it work to use the same LAN IP only with a different port number for the two cameras? I only have a single WAP IP available so assumed for example that I might use local 192.168,11,106 for both cameras with a port of 8291 for one, and 8080 for the other (since those ports show as open on the WAN side (so may as well use them on the LAN side :-).

what can anyone tell me about "IP address of DMZ" where my 192.168.11.106 is entered and it appears to only accept the single LAN IP. I might have thought my WAN IP would be in that field. (WAN address being Internet URL).

I've had a bugger of a time getting this second camera online so anyone sharing their own experiences on multiple IP cameras on a single router would be appreciated. I am hopeful that since I have a single external (WAN) IP to work with, that I can just tag internal (LAN) cameras with the same IP but different port number and move on. :-)

TIA

Hi,
Basically what that DMZ is doing its opening all the ports for that one IP address, doesnt matter what port you assign to that camera it will always be opened as dmz opens all ports for that IP. You can only assign one DMZ on all routers so to view the second camera you need to port forward the second camera (How to open a port on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54)
i think thats your router port forward settings, once port forward settings are done, you'll use your WAN IP, whether it be static or dynamic, and just change the port when you want to view second camera.

Installer at: IseeU CCTV
Mobile: 07903322632
Web: www.iseeucctv.co.uk
Email: Info@iseeucctv.co.uk

Hi, Please see this explanation - How To Port Forward a Router

NB the graphic embedded near the bottom of the explanation. Essentially that is what you are trying to achieve (access to two devices on your LAN). In your case, both are IP cameras.
You will need to edit the settings of at least one of the cameras to use a port other than the default port 80.
Each camera will be at its own LAN IP address; one using say port 80; the second using maybe port 8080.
By setting up your www IP address port 80 to forward to the camera's LAN IP address of the camera using port 80, you will be able to access/see that one.
For the second you'd forward your www IP address for say port 8080 to the local IP address of the camera using port 8080.
When you visit from off-site simply suffix your www IP address with the port for the camera you wish to reach.

DMZ is not recommended because it leaves whatever device you place in that DeMilitarisedZone completely exposed - all ports open. And, only one device at a single LAN IP address can be placed in the DMZ.

VPNs or services such as HikVision's Hik-Connect are now recommended / preferred as they are more secure.

What is a Port

Port forwarding - Wikipedia

DMZ (computing) - Wikipedia

Virtual private network - Wikipedia

List of TCP and UDP port numbers - Wikipedia

Back