01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Any thoughts on my first remote system?

curadh

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, thanks Gilly for the guide, a few questions.

I have a townhouse, front door opens on to the street. Have had the front door tried in the past week, and this morning was threatened by some random scumbag. I am feeling a little vulnerable. I've been wanting away for a while, so would preferably like to install a system that I can access remotely as well as while I am there.
Attached is a picture of the house front.

So I figure I need 1 external camera, located to the extreme left or right, just under the second floor window level. Because it will be bent to look down and across the front door and windows, it should be a bullet, and the focal length probably minimal - 2.8mm or 3.6mm, so that it doesn't pick up everything on the path, only action at the front door or windows. I would route the cable from the camera up to the eaves, where it would link to receiving equipment in the attic, or alternatively into the front hall above the door. I believe a PoE would be best in case the wireless signal is a problem, and gets rid of the need for a long power lead. The camera should be movement only I suppose - in terms of storage, I believe the device will overwrite its recordings automatically every day or week or whatever according to the size.

I figure there must be a WiFi system in order to view remotely, that is, cameras can't transmit without their own sim card. I think I can use an IP camera linked directly to a WiFi router located in the attic, or front hallway. But, then I would have problems linking another camera up if I wanted. I would have to manage them independently I think. I don't know of a system with multiple IP cameras viewable through one app? The other problem is of course maintenance fees, costs of viewing the cameras through the mobile phone app. This is probably where they are making the money. Any suggestions on that welcome, going with a reliable company is probably sensible rather than China's latest cheap kit.

I'm also open to NVR or traditional systems but they will need to use an internet or phone app for remote viewing, I see Swann are reliable and do relatively cheap full systems.

Attachments

• eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1IiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7ImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIiwid2lkdGgiOj...jpg
    eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1IiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7ImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIiwid2lkdGgiOj...jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 151
Hi @curadh

Sorry to keep you waiting for a reply on this.

Our normal recommendation for a system like this would be to go with Hikvision equipment, which is Chinese, but also the most popular as it's reliable and offers lots of features at a good value.

For the camera(s), I would recommend the DS-2CD2046G2-IU as a mini bullet, which is a PoE camera and supports microSD card storage.
You will also need to use the DS-1280ZJ-XS junction box to waterproof the connections in the back of the camera if you do route the cable up into the eaves, but also follow the instructions in this guide.

If you aren't using an NVR, then you would need a PoE injector or switch between each camera and the router to supply power.

Also, I would consider mounting the cameras slightly higher than you've suggested, say >2.5m high, so that the camera / SD card is out of somebody's reach.
If you would prefer to have the camera lower down to better capture faces, then I would recommend the vandal-proof DS-2CD2546G2-IS and DS-1280ZJ-DM46 junction box.

It's advisable to use an NVR as this will give you the option for more storage on a hard drive as well as it being more secure (separate from the camera).

The DS-7608NI-I2-8P is the NVR that we normally recommend as it gives you full access to the AcuSense features on the new Hikvision camera.
You could also use the smaller DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) as a more affordable option if it's only for a couple of cameras, just bear in mind that this will not allow you to search for footage of only person/vehicle detections directly on the NVR and you will need the 7608NI-I2 for this feature.

This guide explains how to set both motion-based or continuous recording, both will overwrite the earliest footage on your SD card / hard drive once full as you say.
However, we recommend using continuous recording - see point 18 here.

The NVRs have built-in PoE ports too, so you could connect your cameras directly to those rather than using an injector or switch.

You would use the Hik-Connect app which is completely free for Hikvision devices and easy to set up remote access on - you just add each camera individually, or just the NVR if you're using one.

Hope that helps :)

Back