01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

BNC /12v cable to cat6 poe switch

collectors

Hi, i am updating my home cctv & have new ip cameras & changed all cables to cat6 & fitted a poe switch in loft. Typically i have one camera fed buy the older BNC coax/12v pair that i cant change. Can i leave the old camera with the BNC & at the other end next to my poe switch fit just 1 balun & a short cat6 lead into the poe switch like image. Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
bnc to cat6.JPG

Hi @collectors

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do is not possible.

You can use a Balun to send the analog COAX signal over a Cat6 cable, but you would then need another Balun at the other end to switch it back to a COAX cable to connect the camera directly to an analog DVR.

Baluns don't actually convert the analog signal, to connect an analog camera to a network switch you would need to put an Encoder between the camera and the switch to convert/encode the analog COAX video signal into a Network IP signal.

Most users just replace the analog camera because an Encoder is an expensive solution and will usually limit the resolution you can get from the camera.

Why exactly can you not replace this BNC COAX/12v camera?

Thanks for the quick reply. "Why exactly can you not replace this BNC COAX/12v camera?."
Was you thinking of replacing it with another camera? "Open to suggestion" I can replace the camera, but i still have the old cable going to the poe switch & its adapting this cable to plug into the switch. Are you suggesting fitting another type of IP camera with or possibly BNC COAX/12v cable connection & then use 2 balun.
This older BNC cable is run inside a flat roof, & other inaccessible areas & this is the problem.
Or should i look down giving it a 12v supply & possibly a wi-fi camera.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks @collectors

So you have an existing COAX cable that you cannot easily replace, the situation makes sense now because in your original post you said "all cables" had been replaced so I was confused why this camera was staying as an analog camera.

It might be possible to do something similar to your above Balun solution but for IP over COAX, you can use these MoCA Adapters but we've never used them and most of the discussion around them doesn't seem to relate to CCTV so not sure how well they will work.

The only guaranteed solutions would be to run a new Cat6 cable to a slightly different position and install a new IP camera or order an expensive Enocder to keep using the existing analog camera & cable.

You are right, & with a quite a few fishing rods & another look i think i might be able to do some cables down the soffit board void. Thanks

Reactions: Dan
Back