01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cameras and IVMS-4200 not connecting when using VPN (did in the past). Advice?

RamblinMan

Thanks for reading.

Recently I had a meltdown when my internet provider had to switch me to a new SIM card and router.

Living in a rural area, we are using a cellular based unlimited plan that brings a signal into the house and I have that connected to the router provided by the ISP and that goes to my switch by ethernet where the NVR is connected.

For years before this switch to the new router, I had everything working just fine.

With this recent change, I was able to get all the cameras back online thanks to advice from these forums. Today I discovered a new issue. I use PIA for occasional VPN use. If it is active/running, I notice my cameras go offline. Even if I'm still connected locally on my network, the cameras are offline. They don't show on my local IVMS-4200 or my ios iphone devices. As soon as I turn the VPN off, everything comes back online.

Now I'm wondering if is possible over the past 4 or 5 years when I had things up and running did I really never have the VPN activated while at the same time looking at my cameras. Maybe this never worked and I just didn't realize it. I don't think so but perhaps.

Trying to figure out how to make sure my cameras stay online even if I have my VPN activated. Is it not possible because of the change in IP address created by the VPN?

Thank you.

Back