01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 Problem in contacting remote NVR via my VPN?

ianxv1100

Hi
I am running a Hikvision NVR DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P in a remote location with no LAN/Internet access capability
I have a Cisco CSL router which proviced a VPN capabilty from my home office to the remote site.
I have downloaded IVMS 4200V3.10.0.5_E onto my home office PC, I have logged in on it and can see my remote NVR. Please note I have not logged into Hik-Connect yet
When I interrogate the remote NVR I can see that it is online and has the remote IP WAN address configured, it also displays the device serial number (which is massive btw)
I can bring up my 4 cameras and can see everything I need to, although it is a bit flaky at times as it is over the cell network.
I now log out of everything and leave home and go into my main office.
I invoke the VPN from my Office PC, this connects through no problem
I load up IVMS as I did at home , add the IP/Domain as I did at home with the WAN IP address and user name and password
Device management does not detect the NVR and remains Offline although the correct IP is showing
I take the Home Office PC into the main office and it works fine so it is not a firewall problem in the office

NVR F/W V4.31.102 build 210626
NVR sw V5.0 build 210507
NVR Web Ver V4.0.1 build 210430
Plugin Ver V3.0.7.500

Why can I not set up another pc to access the NVR?

Any help gratefullly received

Regards
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Some added clarity

Home PC - IVMS- VPN -internet- vpn-Remote CSL router -NVR online and can see device and cameras
Office PC - IVMS - VPN -internet - VPN- Remote CSL router - NVR does not show online
Home PC in Office location -IVMS -VPN-internet-Rmote CSL router- NVR online and can see device and cameras

Upvote 0
Hi
I am running a Hikvision DVR DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P in a remote location with no LAN/Internet access capability
I have a Cisco CSL router which proviced a VPN capabilty from my home office to the remote site.
I have downloaded IVMS 4200V3.10.0.5_E onto my home office PC, I have logged in on it and can see my remote DVR. Please note I have not logged into Hik-Connect yet
When I interrogate the remote DVR I can see that it is online and has the remote IP WAN address configured, it also displays the device serial number (which is massive btw)
I can bring up my 4 cameras and can see everything I need to, although it is a bit flaky at times as it is over the cell network.
I now log out of everything and leave home and go into my main office.
I invoke the VPN from my Office PC, this connects through no problem
I load up IVMS as I did at home , add the IP/Domain as I did at home with the WAN IP address and user name and password
Device management does not detect the DVR and remains Offline although the correct IP is showing
I take the Home Office PC into the main office and it works fine so it is not a firewall problem in the office

DVR F/W V4.31.102 build 210626
DVR sw V5.0 build 210507
DVR Web Ver V4.0.1 build 210430
Plugin Ver V3.0.7.500

Why can I not set up another pc to access the DVR?

Any help gratefullly received

Regards
Ian
Quick reply for now. If you are remotely accessing via VPN you should use the NVR LAN IP address from the remote location, your home pc should be on the remote LAN network.

David

Upvote 0
Hi David

Thanks for you response however I think I have probably not explained myself properly. I have attached a powerpoint of how the whole thing links together from my perspective. Scenario 1 works with my home office pc from my house to the remote site
Scenario 2 does not work with exactly the same IVMS and CSL VPN setup from my main Office
Scenario 3 shows that when I take my home PC and plug it into my Main office network it does work, so port forwarding at the other end is okay, the VPN only supports one connectivity at a time which is fine as it is only being used by one person, me.
It cannot be a restriction on the VPN as I can also access the remote site from my phone which uses the same VPN.
I am assuming, because I dont know for sure, that there is some form of "client/server" relationship between my home office device running IVMS and the NVR at the far end. What I cant work out is why, if I have exactly the same IVMS software and CSL VPN on another machine cant I see the remote NVR. Id their some form of restriction within IVMS against usernames. When I set up each instance of VMS I have to put in a nre Superuser name for that machine. I have kepth this the same across all platforms that I have tried to do this from so the home office machine is the same superuser name as the Home office which should allow it to log into the NVR
Please note all the IP addresses shown are maky uppers and inclued to give the flavour

Many thanks
Ian

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Hi Ian,
We'll sort this out.

Are there 3 different locations? It looks as though the NVR site only uses 4G connectivity, are the other sites normal broadband ISP's?
Home
Office
NVR

It looks as though the NVR site only uses 4G connectivity, are the other sites normal broadband ISP's?

Could you show the proper IP addresses? It's good to see the subnets involved. Exclude any public WAN addresses, maybe use nnn.nnn for the last 2 octets.

There is a client / server relationship on the VPN side. I'm not a real user of ivms4200 but think there is a client / server setup as well.

Is the Gemini Global Platform a VPN matcher service to resolve Carrier Grade NAT on the 4G network side or do you have a public IP on the 4G side?

David

Upvote 0
Hi David,

Thanks for that.

Yes the NVR is housed in a Portakabin type structure which consists of the cabling to the 4 cameras, a power supply and the Cisco CSL router. Because the transmission to and from the NVR is via the 4G network the CSL router and VPN were the solution provided by the Security company. The CSL router is equipped with an external aerial to maximise the connectivity.
The IVMS is configured to transmit on port 8000, I haven't changed this it is just the default that came with the system.

House LAN, Office LAN and NVR LAN are all on 192.168.nnn.nnn with 255.255.255.0 mask.

I don't have any detail on the Gemini Global Platform but would presume that it is Internet / 4G mobile network gateway type environment. The only public IP I have for the 4G side is the CSL Router WAN address at the Portkabin.

I have attached an original network diagram from CSL

Because the VPN sets up equally well from wherever I set it up I do not think the issue is the VPN, however I will drop the helpdesk a line just to make sure.
I am convinced I am doing something wrong with the IVMS but just cannot see what it is
Ian

Attachments

• end exposition for IP Forum.jpg
    end exposition for IP Forum.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
Hi David

Further to my previous, I have finally managed to get the Office PC to log into the NVR using the hikvision IVMS4200 software and then further invoking a subsequent piece of software called Hik-Connnect (which I believe is primarily used for mobile devices) but hey it works. I need to further investigate how IVMS really works and get to the bottom of why it does not show the NVR from any other device other than my home PC.

Thanks for your help on this

Cheers
Ian

Upvote 0
Hi David

Further to my previous, I have finally managed to get the Office PC to log into the NVR using the hikvision IVMS4200 software and then further invoking a subsequent piece of software called Hik-Connnect (which I believe is primarily used for mobile devices) but hey it works. I need to further investigate how IVMS really works and get to the bottom of why it does not show the NVR from any other device other than my home PC.

Thanks for your help on this

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian,
sounds as though you have a partial solution that works, personally I don't use hikconnect.

it looks as though the Cisco CSL is providing a bypass to CGNAT allowing you access to the NVR local network. The pc remotely accessing the NVR LAN should have an IP address from the NVR (router) subnet. When remotely connected you should be able to access the NVR web gui (not using ivms4200) to manage the NVR. In each of your VPN connectivity scenarios if you can remotely "see" the NVR then it sounds like a ivms4200 problem.

David

Upvote 0
Back