01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can I use 14 or 18 TB HDDs with my Hikvision I-series NVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kallagtunet

Any reason the new 14 or 18 TB HDD not work in a Hikvision I series NVR? Anyone that have tried to install such «beasts»?

Hikvision have a document that shows all disks that they consider to be compatible. That's not to say that others won't work but you may get unexpected results. Attached is a copy of the document but this will be well out of date by now (June 19 )and I'm not sure where the latest version would be located as it's notoriously difficult to find any documentation that Hikvision produce unless they put it in the portal.

One of the admins of the forum may have a more recent version? - Daaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!

Attachments

• Hard Disk Compatibility.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 734
In our experience it's not a problem to use new large drives with Hikvision NVRs.
We get asked about it a lot, because they tend to state a maximum HDD capacity size on their datasheets which is the largest capacity available when the NVRs are first released. When you consider the age of some of the NVR models e.g. launched 4yrs ago or more, then HDD capacity has grown a lot over that period. Despite those datasheets stating a max. HDD capacity of say 4 or 6TB, the NVRs are quite happy to use new larger HDDs.

A couple of customers have bought and used the 14TB HDDs for use with Hikvision NVRs:

1602058166423.png

1602058233626.png

@Gilly has checked within the last week, and as yet the new WD Purple 18TB HDDs are not available.

They will appear for purchase on this product page as soon as we can get stock:
Western Digital Purple | 1-14 TB SATA 6 GB\/s Surveillance Hard Drive

NB - currently a 14TB Western Digital Purple HDD sells for £429 +VAT.

BTW - 18TB is huge!

Western Digital provide a calculator to check the capacity of hard drive that you might need:

I have attached an up to date Hikvision HDD compatibility list - they have not yet tested these largest hard drives.

Attachments

• HDD Compatible List for Hikvision DVR NVR_20200918.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 604
Before I bought my 18TB, I found this article searching google for "Hikvision 18TB HDD", so I thought it would work(I didn't search from within the forum for further articles where it was mentioned it is not supported). Just attaching the link here to let people who google for the same, that at the moment (April 2023), 18TB Purple Pro HDDs are not compatible with 7600 NVRs.

The latest news on using large capacity HDDs with Hikvision NVRs is here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back