01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to fix the issue on recording for varying lengths of time with same camera settings?

Johnson

Hi Everyone,

I have setup a HiKVision NVR DS-96128Ni-I16 with firmware Version of V4.1.66 build 200103. And 8X cameras are all set to record for 31 days & then overwrite. However the cameras appear to be recording for varying lengths of time - some are the 31 days, others are 14 days, others are 10 days. Typically this would be linked to storage, however both disks are showing a total of over 4.5 TB available. Equally all the cameras are set to continuous on the same frame rate & the same resolution, so there should be no differences in their recording time. Could anyone have any solution to fix this issue please?

Thanks in advance

Johnson

Hi @Johnson

Are all 8 cameras the same model? What camera model(s) do you have?

What compression CODEC are all 8 cameras set to? H.264, H.265, or H.265+?

How much storage capacity do have in total? Above it looks like you have around 9-10TB from 2 x HDDs, is that correct?

Hi

All 82 cameras are in the same model, Hikvision 8MP IP POE CCTV Vandal Doe camera, and the compression CODEC are H.265.
The storage capacity has been set as 8.5T(HDD1 RAID 0), 27T(HDD2 RAID 5), and totally 4.5T is available.

Okay,

You say the stream settings (e.g. frame rate, resolution, etc...) are the same on all the cameras, can you please share a screenshot of the stream settings for one of the cameras?

We want to see exactly how you have the cameras configured.

Thanks for your prompt response.
The screenshot of the stream setting has been attached for your information.
Capture_IP Camera 1.JPG

Thanks @Johnson

So at your current settings, there is no way you are going to get 31 days of continuous recording from 82 x 8MP cameras.

Using a storage calculator we have worked out that you would need somewhere in the region of 320-330TB of storage to record this many cameras for that long.

With the current storage capacity you have, you wouldn't even get 1 day of continuous recording from all 82 cameras, this is probably why you are seeing the different periods of recording.

The only way you will get close to storing 31 days of continuous recording for all 82 cameras would be to substantially reduce the resolution and frame rate of all 82 cameras, but even then I don't think you will get 31 days from all your cameras (especially not with RAID configured).

Thanks @Dan

Since I am new to the organization, since this CCTV NVR system has been launched for over 2 years already, everything seems running smoothly except the the raised issue of varying record time. And it seems quite strange that disk usage still shows 4.5T available in this case, would you have any suggestion on that please?

Hi @Johnson

Can you please share a screenshot of the storage management menu so we can see the details of your HDDs & storage capacity?

Thanks @Johnson

Can you please also share screenshots of the RAID menus so we can see how you've configured the above storage arrays/virtual disks?

Thanks @Johnson

Looking at the information you've provided I think the free space you are seeing has to do with the RAID configuration and/or the huge amount of data you are recording, the 4.5TB of free space you are seeing is probably close to the amount of data that is regularly being overwritten/rerecorded (1 x 8MP camera will need nearly 4TB of storage for a day's continuous recording).

Also, we have a 7716NI-I4 NVR with 4 HDDs installed that has been recording for years and has no RAID configuration. It is overwriting and is showing 0TB of free space, so I think the RAID configurations you have set are reserving some of the storage capacity as part of the RAID process.

To be honest, we have never had any hands-on experience with an NVR of this size, with this many cameras, and RAID configured (we don't usually recommend running a single NVR with more than 64 cameras), possibly there might be other users here who have set up systems of this size and/or have seen the same free space situation with RAID configured that might be able to advise you further.

Back