01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How my DVR save more days of recorded video?

mabvmet

Hi everyone!

I have a DVR Hikvision device, model DS-7104HGHI-F1/N for my cctv. It's working with 4 cams with a 720p of resolution and 1TB HDD.

I remember It could save up to 4 weeks (I do not remember exactly) but some weeks ago It has a maldisfunction and a local technician manipulated the system and now its working again but now I only can watch 12 days of storaged video from now... before It was configured to have "continuous recording" and not the "motion mode". I know this because I was able to watch those days of video at any moment of the recorded day.

* How do I know it only saves the last 12 days?
I saw the last sunday March 5th. It only saves 12 days because everyday after March 05 it saves the day before and deletes one day of previous week

• It saves March 4th but it deletes feb 21st and then It saves March 5th and deletes feb 22th and so on

I am pretty sure that the HDD wasn't manipulated, changed or damaged. The technician didn't touch it...

How can I set the configuration to have more days of video backup?
Here you can see my current settings... (all pictures are from the "recording settings" menu)

In sumary:
Main flow video (Image 1) :
  • Resolution: 4 cameras, 720p. Recording 24/7
  • no audio
  • frames speed: 12 fps (the bigger available)
  • Average bitrate speed: 1024 kbps
  • H.264+ activated for all cameras --> Before This option was unchecked (it's supoused it can reduce the weigth of the files)
Image 1

"More adjustments" button (Image 2) :
(I do not have clear what these settings do)
  • pre-recording: 5s
  • post-recording: 5s
  • Time expired (day): 30 --> This was set in 0, today (March 7th) I just changed to 30
  • Audio recording: No activated
  • Video flow: Main flow
Image 2

Secundary flow video (Image 3) :
  • Resolution: 352*288 (CIF)
  • No audio
  • frames speed: 22 fps
  • Average bitrate speed: 1024 kbps
  • Max. range RatioBits: 337~562(Kbps)

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 14.41.16.png

This is the "advanced settings" section:
  • 1080P lite mode: activated
  • Overwrite: activated

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 14.41.35.png

Thanks for reading and for your support!

Last edited:
Hi @mabvmet

It is most likely this setting that is causing the problem:

• Time expired (day): 30 --> This was set in 0, today (March 7th) I just changed to 30
The 'Time Expired' setting is meant to be how long the NVR will hold onto footage before deleting it, with it set to 30 it should record for 30 days and then overwrite the oldest footage. I don't know why in your case changing this setting has caused it to only record 12 days, but if you switch this back to 0 you should be able to use the full capacity of the HDD and get the maximum retention period.

Hi @mabvmet

It is most likely this setting that is causing the problem:

The 'Time Expired' setting is meant to be how long the NVR will hold onto footage before deleting it, with it set to 30 it should record for 30 days and then overwrite the oldest footage. I don't know why in your case changing this setting has caused it to only record 12 days, but if you switch this back to 0 you should be able to use the full capacity of the HDD and get the maximum retention period.
Thanks, I will be observing the behavior, If the days of available increase, I going to try with '0' again.

Hi @Dan!
Hi everyone.

The behivior described in the original post still remains.
I've noticed that in image 4 the option 1080p Lite was active, do you belive it can cause the problem?
(In the original post is no available anymore the option for edit; I didn't set the title of "image 4, but the lastone, the 'advanced settings' section")

Also I found this table from "quickstart guide" that I still have... according with it, 1 channel for 1 hour at fixed bit rate delivers one file of 450 MB aprox with the 1024 kbps configuration:
  • If I have 4 channels at 1024 kbps, in 24 hours I should have 42.1 GB in a day and in a 1TB HDD should be able to storage aproximately 24 days, Is it correct?
I only have 15 days...

I don't know what else I need to check! :/
Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 20.57.29.png

Last edited:
Hi @mabvmet

We have no hands-on experience with these consumer DVR models so not sure what impact that 1080p lite mode would have, but seeing as none of your cameras support more than 720p there isn't really any reason to have this setting enabled.

If this doesn't work the last thing to try would be to format the HDD, sometimes if you make lots of changes to the recording settings it can cause glitches that are only resolved by formatting the HDD back to zero.

Back