01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Colorvu Video Performance Puzzle

Stewy

I am in the process of upgrading my 5-year-old Hikvision camera network, which has had a Hikvision 7604NI-K1 NVR (with dedicated monitor) as its hub. The planned network will consist of 3 new G2 Colorvu cameras (two 8MP & one 4MP), plus retaining 2 of the previous 4MP 2142-FWD cameras and a 2MP wirelss doorbell. To cope with the big increase in required bandwidth and allow for future expansion, the NVR will also be replaced by a new 8 channel M-series NVR.

The process of relocating the old cameras and mounting the 2 new ones that I have already purchased (the final camera and NVR will have to wait until January) has been interrupted by a combination of bad weather and having to mount xmas lights instead! So for the last few days over the xmas hols, I have only had one 8MP Colorvu up and running outdoors (using PoE to NVR), plus the existing wireless doorbell. So I thought it might be interesting to experiment with settings, since the one Colorvu camera has virtually the entire incoming bandwidth of the NVR to itself.

I have been perplexed by the outcome. I have not been able to test the boundaries of the video settings beyond my initial starting point, because of repeated image freezing. Indeed, to ensure absolutely skip-free recording, I have actually had to reduce settings below what I thought was a reasonable starting point.

My initial (main stream) settings were:

Resolution: Max (3840x2160)
Bitrate type: Variable
Video quality: Higher
Frame Rate: 20 (I frame 40)
Max bitrate: 8192
Video Encoding H265 (H265+ OFF)
SVC: OFF

Both NVR and camera are running the latest firmware. WDR & DNR are both off during daytime and both on at 30 after dark (however, I can detect no significant correlation between the video freezing issue and whether it is day or night).

At the initial settings above, the glitches are relatively minor, but nonetheless I can't know they won't occur at the most inopportune moment. Plus it's not as though the scene is particularly tricky. It is a view from my garage down the driveway to the street about 30m distant (hence the need for some backlight management at night). Reducing the max bitrate to 6144 and quality to medium does provide a consistently stable image, but I wasn’t expecting to have to do that. The problem gets worse at higher bitrate settings. Increasing bitrate to 10240 (at medium) results in regular short freezes and skipped recording. Indeed, even passing pedestrians sometimes freeze for a second, despite those moving images comprising only a small fraction of the total pixels in an otherwise usually static scene.

I know Colorvu cameras are bitrate-hungry, but I though I’d comfortably be able to operate just one of them to its maximum image capability. Might it be that the actual bitrate is instantaneously spiking way above what I can actually see live on the NVR interface? Perhaps reducing the max bitrate also helps constrain those spikes to a manageable level? If so, what is a reasonable expectation for this camera’s settings? Although I am going to upgrade the NVR soon anyway, I’d still like to understand what is going on here.

Moreover, I’ve also experimented with settings using the web interface on my PC (thus allowing me to switch back-and-forth bewteen NVR video and camera video (using virtual host). The direct camera output video performance is noticeably poorer than when viewing the NVR output (at the above settings). To get a smooth image via virtual host I have to reduce the main stream bitrate to below 4096. I had assumed that if anything the image would improve by cutting out the NVR “middleman”, but evidently not. Then again I’m not sure how the virtual host signal is handled. I’d appreciate any insight from expert users that might explain this observation.

I have been perplexed by the outcome. I have not been able to test the boundaries of the video settings beyond my initial starting point, because of repeated image freezing. Indeed, to ensure absolutely skip-free recording, I have actually had to reduce settings below what I thought was a reasonable starting point.

My initial (main stream) settings were:

Resolution: Max (3840x2160)
Bitrate type: Variable
Video quality: Higher
Frame Rate: 20 (I frame 40)
Max bitrate: 8192
Video Encoding H265 (H265+ OFF)
SVC: OFF
There's nothing particularly wrong with those initial settings. I have noticed that newer cameras tend to come set with the I Frame value matching the FPS value (1 I Frame per second) whereas previously it was 1 I frame per 2 seconds.

As you have the M Series you should not need to dumb down the camera settings. The M Series is classified as an 'Ultra Series' recorder (whereas the K series and outgoing I Series are both 'Pro Series'). If you find the post I made some time ago 'M Series Initial Impressions' I made a point of maxing out the settings on my cameras with regard to frame rate and bit rate to see how it coped. It's still on those settings now without issue. I have my 8MP Color Vu cameras at 16Mbps bit rate 25 frames per second.

Make sure you're setting up the cameras via the NVR interface and not in the camera directly and that Main Stream (Normal) and Main Stream (Event) match. If you've already messed around directly in the camera - reboot the NVR before checking and correcting all settings in the NVR. The reboot will force the NVR to read the parameters on the cameras as they connect (the NVR menu displayed values do not dynamically update if a change is made directly on the camera)

Edit: Apologies just re read your post and see you've not fitted the new NVR yet. I'd have done that as the first step. I wouldn't bother messing with anything until you've done so as it's that NVR that will make all the difference - it's in a whole different league performance wise.

Upvote 0
Thanks JB,

In an ideal world I would of course have upgraded the NVR first. However, this month it was a choice bteween new NVR and wife's xmas present. Common sense prevailed!

Yes, all the main video settings are altered using the NVR's interface, rather than by vitrual host to the camera itself (other than the more advanced imaging choices available only through the virtual host path). The main stream Normal and Event parameters are identical (although don't belive that is an issue because the freezing can occur without an event being triggered). Both NVR and camera have been rebooted several times.

My fundamantal questions still puzzle me:

1. Why does accessing the camera video "directly" (albeit via virtual host mode in the NVR menu) result in poorer video performance than when accessing the NVR video output?

2. As currently configured, this single camera has approximately 38mbps of incoming bandwidth availaable to it in the NVR ( I don't believe that the total bandwidth has a per-channel constraint, but I could be mistaken in that). So despite the fact that it's a low spec NVR, why can't I run this single camera at maximum resolution, maximum frame rate and highest quality video settings (actually not even close to that combination)? I appreciate that in a normal network, with multiple cameras, these settings would not be practicable, but I'm intrigued as to why ithey are not even possible with one camera.

Happy New Year!

Upvote 0
In an ideal world I would of course have upgraded the NVR first. However, this month it was a choice bteween new NVR and wife's xmas present. Common sense prevailed!
Agreed - no point ruining 2023 before it begins!

1. Why does accessing the camera video "directly" (albeit via virtual host mode in the NVR menu) result in poorer video performance than when accessing the NVR video output?
It doesn't. It's just that what you see displayed for a particular parameter in the NVR after you have changed it in the camera directly, will not/may not reflect the the actual setting. For example:
  • If you were to go to camera settings in the NVR and for Main Stream (Normal) set the Frame Rate to 20FPS and the Bit Rate to 8196. At the same time you match the settings for Main Stream (Event) - (which are only available in the NVR). Those settings made in the NVR are actually applied and stored on the camera, so if you then login to the camera via virtual host and view the video settings, you'll see Frame Rate is 20FPS and Bit Rate is 8196, as you would expect.
  • However - If you later alter video settings directly in the camera and for Main Stream set the Frame Rate to 12FPS and Bit Rate to 4096. When you go back to the NVR, Camera, Video Parameters page. For Main Stream (Normal) and Main Stream (Event) you'll still (potentially) see the previous 20FPS and 8196 set for Main Stream (Normal), as altering the settings directly on the camera does not immediately update what is displayed within the NVR GUI.
With the example above you could end up with a situation where in reality Main Stream (Normal) is 12FPS/4096 while Main Stream (Event) is 20FPS/8196. Yet the display in the NVR will show that Main stream Normal & Event match at 20FPS/8196. You therefore think that the settings match but do not.

2. As currently configured, this single camera has approximately 38mbps of incoming bandwidth availaable to it in the NVR ( I don't believe that the total bandwidth has a per-channel constraint, but I could be mistaken in that). So despite the fact that it's a low spec NVR, why can't I run this single camera at maximum resolution, maximum frame rate and highest quality video settings (actually not even close to that combination)? I appreciate that in a normal network, with multiple cameras, these settings would not be practicable, but I'm intrigued as to why ithey are not even possible with one camera.

I've no answer for that and agree fully - it should work fine. It could well be that the processing capabilities of the K Series are just not up to the specs that Hikvision quote. The cameras have advanced somewhat since it was released. I can say that the M series seems to just work as it should. With regard to recording and decoding I've tried to break it by taking the p**s with my settings without success - no skipped frames or frozen interface as I had on my previous I Series.

Upvote 0
Back