01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-E04NI-Q14P Video Bitrate Settings?

imtiyazp

If you look at the attached snapshot of the Data Sheet for the DS-E04NI-Q14P Hikvision NVR, you will see that it has an incoming bandwidth of 40Mbps and outgoing bandwidth of 60Mbps.

The problem is that this NVR does not let you set a max bitrate of over 3072, an error message pops up stating that the range must be between 'Range 32-3072'. See attachment.

Currently whether I connect 1 or 2 cameras to the POE ports, it does not let me exceed this setting to get better quality recording. I need to use 8192 to cater for the Frame rate and quality. I could use H264+ or H265+, but do not wish to do so. I normally on all my NVRs use H264.
Is this a bug?

Attachments

• Data Sheet Snapshot.jpg
    Data Sheet Snapshot.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 28
  • Video Settings.jpg
    Video Settings.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
If you look at the attached snapshot of the Data Sheet for the DS-E04NI-Q14P Hikvision NVR, you will see that it has an incoming bandwidth of 40Mbps and outgoing bandwidth of 60Mbps.

The problem is that this NVR does not let you set a max bitrate of over 3072, an error message pops up stating that the range must be between 'Range 32-3072'. See attachment.

Currently whether I connect 1 or 2 cameras to the POE ports, it does not let me exceed this setting to get better quality recording. I need to use 8192 to cater for the Frame rate and quality. I could use H264+ or H265+, but do not wish to do so. I normally on all my NVRs use H264.
Is this a bug?
Worth a try but I've no idea whether this will work...It's an NVR so the video parameters come from the camera even though you are adjusting them via teh NVR interface. Connect to the camera directly using its web interface and set your parameters in the camera. What the NVR interface will show after that in the Video Parameters I'm unsure, but the NVR will just record the main stream as it receives it; the NVR shouldn't change it after that. The only issue I can see is that if the Main Stream (event) settings on the NVR don't automatically adjust themselves to match the main stream settings you enter directly on the camera. That could cause some strange results. You'd be able to see what's going on by hovering teh mouse pointer over the stream details icon on a monitor while viewing the main stream.

It may be a bug. It seems unusual to be unable to set up the cameras to suit your requirements. I tend to use the total incoming bandwidth rather than the number of channels so might have an NVR partially populated with cameras set at higher bitrates.

Last edited:
Actually, I did not want to change the bitrate on the camera directly on purpose because from experience, the NVR always takes charge. But no harm in trying, I will certainly try that. The only problem is that this mini-NVR has no Virtual Host mode (this has been verified by Hikvision). So, I need to connect the cameras directly to the router (via my switch) and then use SADP, assign a IP address and then do it. Or I might take a ethernet lead from the unused channel port of the NVR to the router switch.

With regards to your second point, don't forget whether I use one channel or 4, I still cannot get the main stream bitrate any higher then 3072. I think it may be a limitation on the NVR due to it being a mini budget one.
I will let you know of my findings.

the NVR always takes charge.
It does but only when you enter the settings for the camera in the NVR. If you were to take a pre programmed camera and add it to an NVR channel, the NVR will read the settings in the camera and populate those settings in the NVR GUI. The only caveat is that the channel must be programmed to manual before connecting the camera. Otherwise if the NVR and camera admin passwords match, the NVRs plug and play will default the camera in order to add it. However once the camera is connected to the NVR, any settings made later, directly on the camera will be left intact.

I did the following:

• Left the POE camera connected to the NVR POE port.
  • Removed the Ethernet cable connected from the NVR LAN port.
  • Connected an Ethernet cable from an unused POE port of the NVR to the Router Switch.
  • Used SADP to change the IP address of the camera to the same subnet as the router.
  • Logged in to the camera and changed the Max. bitrate to 8192. It allowed me to do this.
  • Used SADP to change the camera IP address back to the subnet used for the NVR.
  • Removed the Ethernet cable from an unused POE port of the NVR to the Router Switch.
  • Connected the Ethernet cable from the switch back to NVR LAN port.
  • When viewing the camera settings in the NVR, I see 8192 under custom, which is correct. Also noticed the NVR is now showing the Variable Maximum bitrate up to 8192 when viewing the camera stream.
So, the above worked and the camera retained the setting. Unfortunately, if I tweak any other setting for the camera in the NVR, it reverts back to 3072 as the max bitrate. So, I got to be careful I do all the settings as I want first time round, otherwise I have to go through this procedure again.

In respect to you stating quite correctly that I must plug the camera as a non-plug and play (since the passwords of the camera and NVR match) and then the setting will be taken from the camera first time round, I prefer not to do this, since I like the other default settings the NVR does and do not want to think that some other setting in the camera has taken over the NVR default setting.

By the way, I can not use ‘Virtual Host’ mode for the mini HIK NVR I have got, since the feature is not there in the firmware and Hikvision have gave me an official statement that the NVR does not support it in the current latest firmware.

Also, I cannot leave the Ethernet cable connected from the NVR POE port to the Router switch at the same time as another Ethernet cable connected from the Router Switch to the NVR Lan port, since there is a clash. The result is that even if I change the IP address of the camera using SADP to the Router subnet, then it will still not allow me to access the camera directly, so will always need to do the steps above. Since my NVR is going to be hidden with limited access, I guess I just have to make sure that I do not change the video settings afterwards.

I did the following:

• Left the POE camera connected to the NVR POE port.
  • Removed the Ethernet cable connected from the NVR LAN port.
  • Connected an Ethernet cable from an unused POE port of the NVR to the Router Switch.
  • Used SADP to change the IP address of the camera to the same subnet as the router.
  • Logged in to the camera and changed the Max. bitrate to 8192. It allowed me to do this.
  • Used SADP to change the camera IP address back to the subnet used for the NVR.
  • Removed the Ethernet cable from an unused POE port of the NVR to the Router Switch.
  • Connected the Ethernet cable from the switch back to NVR LAN port.
  • When viewing the camera settings in the NVR, I see 8192 under custom, which is correct. Also noticed the NVR is now showing the Variable Maximum bitrate up to 8192 when viewing the camera stream.
So, the above worked and the camera retained the setting. Unfortunately, if I tweak any other setting for the camera in the NVR, it reverts back to 3072 as the max bitrate. So, I got to be careful I do all the settings as I want first time round, otherwise I have to go through this procedure again.

In respect to you stating quite correctly that I must plug the camera as a non-plug and play (since the passwords of the camera and NVR match) and then the setting will be taken from the camera first time round, I prefer not to do this, since I like the other default settings the NVR does and do not want to think that some other setting in the camera has taken over the NVR default setting.

By the way, I can not use ‘Virtual Host’ mode for the mini HIK NVR I have got, since the feature is not there in the firmware and Hikvision have gave me an official statement that the NVR does not support it in the current latest firmware.

Also, I cannot leave the Ethernet cable connected from the NVR POE port to the Router switch at the same time as another Ethernet cable connected from the Router Switch to the NVR Lan port, since there is a clash. The result is that even if I change the IP address of the camera using SADP to the Router subnet, then it will still not allow me to access the camera directly, so will always need to do the steps above. Since my NVR is going to be hidden with limited access, I guess I just have to make sure that I do not change the video settings afterwards.
The cameras are still accessible without Virtual Host so long as you're in the same IP range as the camera. For future reference all you need do is leave everything connected as is, and connect an ethernet cable between your laptop/PC to an unused PoE port on the NVR. Set the IP address of the laptop/PC to any IP address in the 192.168.254.xxx range that won't clash with a cameras IP address (just use .100). Then login to the camera at 192.168.254.??? and make whatever changes you want.

As for 'default settings that the NVR does' with respect to the camera parameters all of the defaults come from the camera.

I had looked at using those particular NVRs as they seemed to be ideal for smaller domestic systems. The size, use of SSD, and absence of a fan are plus points. However the two issues you've detailed:
  • No virtual host
  • Camera bit rate cap when setting via the NVR interface
...would ensure that I'd not use them currently (you've saved me a headache). I'll keep an eye on your posts, so please post back if future firmware updates resolve the issues.

Thank you for the excellent reply, of course I could always leave a lead in a unused POE port of the NVR and then put my laptop in its subnet range as you described and ‘Bobs your Uncle’.

Hik can sometimes overlook simple things, such as not offering 'Virtual Host' and capping the bit-rate when the actual NVR could easily manage it. Since the customer may only want to use one POE camera with this NVR and give it all the incoming band width, etc.

I will let you know if Hik decide to address these 2 issues in future updates

Hik can sometimes overlook simple things, such as not offering 'Virtual Host' and capping the bit-rate when the actual NVR could easily manage it. Since the customer may only want to use one POE camera with this NVR and give it all the incoming band width, etc.
When the old 'E' series came out about 9 years ago, Virtual Host was missing from the browser UI but was available in the local UI and they did add it via firmware. Since then all NVRs have had Virtual Host only accessible using the browser UI. It's a long shot but perhaps have a good look through all of the local menu settings - maintenance etc where options can be enabled/disabled. Agreed regarding the bit rate; NVRs have always been '4 channel or xx mbps incoming bandwidth whichever is reached first.' I think Hik are marketing this almost as preconfigured for x days of recording with 4 cameras out of the box. The inability to use the specified bandwidth is severely limiting.

Since then all NVRs have had Virtual Host only accessible using the browser UI
Same for NXI-K series. Virtual Host now missing from new firmware Local GUI. Only on iVMS and browser

Same for NXI-K series. Virtual Host now missing from new firmware Local GUI. Only on iVMS and browser
They took it out of the local GUI long ago on all models (before the NXI existed) so that's not a problem.

I remember the Virtual host on earlier firmwares. Never used this option but I think is useful when using remote access configuration if only NVR is added in HikConnect

The cameras are still accessible without Virtual Host so long as you're in the same IP range as the camera. For future reference all you need do is leave everything connected as is, and connect an ethernet cable between your laptop/PC to an unused PoE port on the NVR. Set the IP address of the laptop/PC to any IP address in the 192.168.254.xxx range that won't clash with a cameras IP address (just use .100). Then login to the camera at 192.168.254.??? and make whatever changes you want.

As for 'default settings that the NVR does' with respect to the camera parameters all of the defaults come from the camera.

I had looked at using those particular NVRs as they seemed to be ideal for smaller domestic systems. The size, use of SSD, and absence of a fan are plus points. However the two issues you've detailed:
  • No virtual host
...would ensure that I'd not use them currently (you've saved me a headache). I'll keep an eye on your posts, so please post back if future firmware updates resolve the issues.
Hi, just to give you some feedback, I have had the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' for a little while now and the following are the advantages and disadvantages of it:

Advantages

Very small footprint, like a 5 port TP link Ethernet switch in size by comparison, so very easy to hide.

No fan, so completely silent and does not overheat at all.

The inbuilt SSD is fast (even when downloading footage and remotely accessing other camera footage at the same time.

Build quality is excellent, like all HIK NVRS.

No glitches or software bugs as yet.

Disadvantages

No built-in power supply, so supplied with a little external brick (I suppose this is a compromise to keep the actual unit size small).

No current ‘Virtual Host’ feature. Hoping will appear in future updates, although Hikvision have gave me an official statement that the NVR does not support it.

Limited internal and external bandwidth, would have been nice to have slightly more on each end.

Only supports up to 4MP POE cameras. Would have been nice to support at least one 4K camera on one of the ports. Having said that I doubt if someone wants to use a 4K camera, they would opt for this baby NVR.

Does not support embedded photo snapshots for events in email.

Although I have listed more disadvantages than advantages, it is possible that some of these can be and will addressed in future firmware updates.

Personally, in my opinion, if someone wants a no-nonsense simple POE NVR of great build quality it is a very good contender.

• No virtual host
Currently I have a master 'NVR - DS-7732NI-M4-24P' that I use from a different location. I remotely connect the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' to it by adding its IP address to the master NVR and then selecting the 2 channels I want the Master to add. This works perfectly, allowing the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' to record its 2 cameras on its own SSD and in parallel I can record the 2 streams from the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' on my master 'NVR - DS-7732NI-M4-24P' remotely. Since I am broadcasting the Mainstream from the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P', the master NVR by default records the quality the stream is sent in 8192Kb/s and full 4MP resolution of the camera. The only problem is that that since the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' is sending streams only, I cannot control its 2 PTZs via the NVR, I have to do it using Hik-Connect or iVMS 4200/iVMS4500 or logging in remotely to the web interface of the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P'.

If I did what you said earlier and added the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' to the network from the remote location directly by plugging in a cable from the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P’ to the router, then theoretically I should be able to do the following:

• Port forward the 2 cameras of the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' on the router.
  • Add the 2 cameras on the master NVR as 2 separate IP channels.
  • Set up event and control PTZs just like a local connected camera.
If the above is possible and I set up for example line crossing on the 'DS-E04NI-Q14P' directly and then set up a different line crossing event from the Master NVR, would there be a total mess and lock, or would it simply take the latest settings, just curious on your thoughts on this matter?

My gut instincts tell me to leave everything as it is and have to live with controlling the PTZ using the other methods.

Back