01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Stutter/Skipping on Playback?

Brocky120

Hi,

I have a setup consisting of the following:

-- NVR is DS-7608NXI-I2 / 8P/S. The firmware is currently V4.62.210 build 230612
-- 2x DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL. The firmware on both is V5.7.13 build 230504
-- I also have 4x 4MP 2CD2342FWD cameras running their latest (albeit old firmware)

Every so often I get stuttering/skipping of a few seconds one of the Front 8MP 2387's. I will attach a photo of the settings of both cameras, the only difference being 10fps vs 15 fps and the smoothing level.

I have checked the Network stats and it shows 47mbps incoming bandwidth, so that should not be a limiting factor. I have had to turn the quality down to medium too as it just doesn't seem to be able to handle it on high or highest.

I haven't noticed the Garage camera stutter or skipping as it's not often re-watched for events,. Am I asking too much for 15FPS, Medium quality and 8MP to be stutter free?

Any recommendations to change/improve? Perhaps bitrate, h256+?
front-camera-settings.png
garage-camera-settings.png
IMG_1645.jpg

Thanks,

Setting smoothing to 1 is not a good idea (though I used to do the same). It makes the I frame much larger and so the bit rate peaks well outside of your configured maximum and is even worse if there's a lot of movement in the scene. Although you've only two settings different, they will impact the image hugely.

Don't use H265+ as it's unnecessary. On both cameras set the smoothing back to 50 and set the quality to 'Higher' (not 'Highest' as that also causes huge bit rate spikes)

For 15FPS set the I Frame to 30 and try max bit rate at 8196
For 10FPS set the I Frame 20 and try max bit rate at 6144

I also use the same bit rate chart that @spirch has linked as a guide . The figures on that chart are an approximation and it states that they can be increased 20 - 30 % for a more complex scene. I tend to increase them a fair amount more. Firstly that's because I'm using less compression ('Higher' quality rather than 'Medium') and secondly to allow for more movement in the scene.

that is a lot of bitrate, my 8mp/ 4k are using constant 6144 with normal h265 (so not +), using these charts Hikvision Bitrate Chart All Max Bitrates

i would reduce the bitrate...
Setting smoothing to 1 is not a good idea (though I used to do the same). It makes the I frame much larger and so the bit rate peaks well outside of your configured maximum and is even worse if there's a lot of movement in the scene. Although you've only two settings different, they will impact the image hugely.

Don't use H265+ as it's unnecessary. On both cameras set the smoothing back to 50 and set the quality to 'Higher' (not 'Highest' as that also causes huge bit rate spikes)

For 15FPS set the I Frame to 30 and try max bit rate at 8196
For 10FPS set the I Frame 20 and try max bit rate at 6144

I also use the same bit rate chart that @spirch has linked as a guide . The figures on that chart are an approximation and it states that they can be increased 20 - 30 % for a more complex scene. I tend to increase them a fair amount more. Firstly that's because I'm using less compression ('Higher' quality rather than 'Medium') and secondly to allow for more movement in the scene.

Thanks both. I have turned h.265+ off, set 15FPS on both cameras (I did all this via the camera web interface not the NVR), changed to Higher quality, set iFrame to 30 with max bitrate of 8196 and turned the smoothing to 50.

I have also ensured the Event is the same as main stream, and pre record is set to 0 as I record 24/7.

I thought a higher bitrate would prevent skipping/stuttering, but I guess if the NVR can't handle the higher bitrate then it can't deal with the bandwidth coming in....

Would you use H.246+ or stick to h.264 on older camera's?

Last edited:
Back