01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Issues with DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S

Xaviar

Hi, I'm having various issues with a new NVR and camera setup. This is my first install so may be some newbie error on my part but would be grateful for any guidance / feedback.

NVR: DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S with firmware V4.61.050, Build 220714
Camera: 4x DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL with firmware V5.7.3 build 220216
HDD: 2x Toshiba MG 8TB Enterprise / Surveillance 3.5" Hard Drive MG08ADA800E
HDDs configured as mirrors. Both HDDs are in a group with HDD1 set to R/W and HDD2 set to Redundant
HikConnect Server address: litedev.eu.hik-connect.com

Smart Events configured
Enable AI by Device: Enabled
  • Intrusion Detection
    • Detect human & vehicle.
    • Threshold: 0
    • Sensitivity: 55
    • Linkage: Buzzer, Email
  • Line Crossing
    • Detect human
    • Threshold: 0
    • Sensitivity: 55
    • Linkage: Buzzer, Notify Surveillance
Settings - See screenshots.

Issues / Questions
  1. With both ID & LC smart events enabled:
    1. After a reboot, both smart events are triggered as expected. But after some time, events are triggered but some LC notifications on HK are not received.
    2. After a few days, both event stop being triggered despite obvious activity.
  2. With LC disabled and ID enabled:
    1. After a reboot, ID events are triggered as expected. But after a few days, both event stop being triggered despite obvious activity.
  3. HK App
    1. Viewing the video of a triggered event doesn’t work 95% of the time – buffers to about 50-90% and stops. Manually forwarding the video sometimes works but not always. This happens even when connected to local network. Broadband on average is 365Mbps down and 37Mbs up.
    2. Live view seems to work fine now, previously (NVR on V4.61.000, Build 220507 and Cameras on V5.7.3 build 220112), it would stop working after a few days with the message, too many connections.
  4. Local Playback on the NVR (via HDMI) jerks every 5secs - plays fine for 5secs, then freezes for 1-2 seconds and then resumes but seem to miss those 1-2 secs.

5. Sometimes the recorded video contains sections with what looks like fuzz/noise. See the “Fuzzy Recording.jpg” capture. This happens 2-3 times a day and lasts for 1-2 seconds.

6. Settings
    1. Should I just have both HDDs set to R/W in storage settings? (I seem to think it might decrease load on NVR)
    2. Does Chanel Zero have any benefit for me? I enabled it thinking it might make live view on HK app smoother but subsequently read that it only works for admin user?
    3. Should I just turn off continuous image capture?
  7. NVR - I plan to add 4 more similar (or equivalent resolution Acusense cameras) to the system. I suspect incoming bandwidth will become an issue (if it’s not already). What NVR would you recommend I upgrade to?

8. How can I link my AXPRO Hub to the NVR so that when I arm the AXPRO, it arms the smart events on the NVR? Is it then possible to have some smart events enabled 24/7, and others only enabled when the AXPRO is armed?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Storage Management.png
    Storage Management.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Record Schedule.png
    Record Schedule.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Continous Substream.png
    Continous Substream.png
    32 KB · Views: 167
  • Continous Substream.png
    Continous Substream.png
    32 KB · Views: 160
  • Trasncoded Stream.png
    Trasncoded Stream.png
    31 KB · Views: 173
  • Continuous-Capture-Parameters.png
    Continuous-Capture-Parameters.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Dual VCA.png
    Dual VCA.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Fuzzy Recording.jpg
    Fuzzy Recording.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 167
  • channel-zero.png
    channel-zero.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 169
Local Playback on the NVR (via HDMI) jerks every 5secs - plays fine for 5secs, then freezes for 1-2 seconds and then resumes but seem to miss those 1-2 secs.
Set the pre record to 0 if you're recording 24/7. It's unnecessary to use pre record unless you're recording motion/event only. Going way back having pre record at the default of 5 seconds has been known to cause this issue.

Are you using the captured images for anything? If not, don't use the capture - event or continuous. If you've continuous recording set, it's just additional processing for the NVR and shouldn't be necessary (unless you've a specific use for those images). You're potentially just filling your hard disks with thousands of unwanted jpegs.

I don't use transcoded stream myself. However I'd say 512 kbps for full frame H264 is too low at that resolution. At 4CIF (704 x 576) you should have that at 1024 or above.

You're recording the main stream but you've not shown the parameters for the main stream.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NVR - I plan to add 4 more similar (or equivalent resolution Acusense cameras) to the system. I suspect incoming bandwidth will become an issue (if it’s not already). What NVR would you recommend I upgrade to?
Just get the 16 channel model of the same. That gives you 160Mbps. The maximum cameras is determined by either number of cameras connected OR maximum bandwidth being reached whichever comes first.

Does Chanel Zero have any benefit for me? I enabled it thinking it might make live view on HK app smoother but subsequently read that it only works for admin user?

Channel Zero simply encodes all images into a 'multiscreen' so to speak. It sends that 3 x 3 layout of 9 cameras as a single image and restricts itself to the FPS and bandwidth set. It's useful if you're away and have an iffy mobile data connection but want to check your cameras and you're struggling to get enough bandwidth to show a stream at its native settings.

Upvote 0
Thanks @JB1970. I've set the pre-record to 0, rebooted and that's helped considerably with the jerky playback.

I have some smart events set that only alert me via email, so I had enabled captured images for those. If they don't need it, I can disable it? Or only enable it on cameras where I have email alerts configured and perhaps set them to Event based rather than continuous to save the extra processing?

Continuous Main Stream setting also attached.

Attachments

• Continuous Mainstream.png
    Continuous Mainstream.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
Set the pre record to 0 if you're recording 24/7. It's unnecessary to use pre record unless you're recording motion/event only. Going way back having pre record at the default of 5 seconds has been known to cause this issue.

Are you using the captured images for anything? If not, don't use the capture - event or continuous. If you've continuous recording set, it's just additional processing for the NVR and shouldn't be necessary (unless you've a specific use for those images). You're potentially just filling your hard disks with thousands of unwanted jpegs.

I don't use transcoded stream myself. However I'd say 512 kbps for full frame H264 is too low at that resolution. At 4CIF (704 x 576) you should have that at 1024 or above.

You're recording the main stream but you've not shown the parameters for the main stream.

I've turned off Image Capture altogether, pictures in email alerts work with it anyway.
Pre-record is snow set to 0.
Increased bitrate for Transcoded stream to 1024.
Rebooted system and will update after a couple of days use.

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Still had the same issue with some events being missed despite people walking in and out.
So I reverted to firmware V4.61.010, Build 220606 on the NVR, reset to defaults and re-configured everything.
Image capture is still off and pre-record is still set to 0.
The only smart event set is Intrusion Detection on one camera which is set to alert via Buzzer, Email and HikConnect.
Initially it all works ok, then after 1-2 days I receive an email when the event is triggered but no notification via HikConnect. Sometimes the event is never triggered - my wife drove up and parked in the driveway, got out and walked into the house - no event triggered. On another ocassion, I received the attahced alert via HikConnect which didn't have a the video playback.

Not sure what the issue is but seems like the the nvr/cameras aren't doing their basic operation?

On the plus side, Live View on HikConnect app has been working ok so far. There are still some jerks during playback locally on the NVR but I could live with that if basic event triggering and alerting is working as it should.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-08 200109.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 200109.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Back