01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV Cameras for new build?

lincs_build

Hi all,

I've got a self build in progress and I'm at the stage of speccing/purchasing and doing the physical install of CCTV hardware.

We are pretty remote, there are no streetlights that project light onto the plot. I have however mounted wall lights externally that are triggered by PIR's.

I'm looking for coverage on all sides of the build and could do with a pointer or three on what's good these days and maybe a recommendation or two on camera and lens choice. My old house I had an annke system, so I'm quite used to configuring and navigating ivms.

As it stands, I have run 2 pairs of CAT6 to each corner of the build. Still pre boarding so can run more CAT6 in if needs be.

image of site layout and projection attached hopefully.

Thanks in advance
Marek

Attachments

• plot and projection.JPG
    plot and projection.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi @lincs_build

Could you please confirm the area around the building that you would like to have covered by these cameras and the rough measurements from the building to these furthest points of the property?

This information will guide us to the most suitable positions, models, and focal lengths for your system.

Oops of course,

Ideally I'm looking to cover all sides of the property, maybe 8 cameras + doorbell cam if there is something that can be integrated yet, the place can be accessed from pretty much any direction. Dimensions wise 13.6m for the front and rear, 8.6m for the short side, and 10m for the long side.

Distance from front corner of build to driveway gate is about 35m. With regards the sides other than looking down the driveway then general building perimeter coverage required as opposed to viewing to the property boundary

I've taken a quick image from google earth, the black boxes represent the new build, all other buildings will be removed.

Thanks
Marek

Attachments

• Capture g earth.JPG
    Capture g earth.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 13
Thanks @lincs_build

Based on the description of your requirements, see the annotated plans I have attached for some rough position suggestions.

plot and projection.jpeg

For the RED camera positions, we would recommend turret cameras like the DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU 4MP Smart Hybrid Light Fixed Turret Camera (2.8mm) or the DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU 8MP Smart Hybrid Light Fixed Turret Camera (2.8mm).

For the camera on the long side of the building (top right of annotated plans), you might need to consider using a wall bracket that will push the camera out from the wall to allow you to see better around the chimney stack.

(but this is not absolutely required because the area behind the chimney is pretty small and other camera positions would likely cover the approach to that area)

You mentioned already having cable run to the corners of the building, if this cable is actually sticking out of the walls already you will need to install the turret cameras with Junction Boxes to protect their RJ45 connectors.

For the final position that we've marked in GREEN, we would recommend using a varifocal camera like the DS-2CD2646G2-IZS Acusense 4MP Varifocal Bullet Camera because this model has a motorised lens that will let you adjust its focal length (2.8-12mm) and narrow the field of view to get more detail at the full 35m distance that is the driveway entrance/gate.

In regards to recording these cameras, we would recommend the DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8-ch M-series NVR and we would recommend either Western Digital Purple HDDs or Toshiba S300 HDDs, you can calculate how much storage you will need to meet your requirements by using this Storage Calculator.

We haven't marked a position for an intercom/doorbell camera because from your plans there doesn't appear to be a large enough mounting area on either side of the front door to install one of these.

That's great, thankyou so much.

You are right, there is no space for the doorbell at the door, however the wall at 90 deg might work, access to the doorway will be formed in such a way that to approach the door you'll will be facing the camera. I've Indicated a position with a red blob on the as built image, what do you think?

Is there much of a difference these days between the 4mp and 8mp sensors? I think I read a few years ago that the 4MP sensors were better than their higher MP counterparts at lower light levels.

Question re the junction boxes.
I haven't yet drilled the walls for the cameras, and I like the idea of the junction box, looks like a tidier install, but not if it's got a wart sticking out, so can the cable grommet that is shown fitted in the manufacturers image be replaced with a plug?

Attachments

• house front.JPG
    house front.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi @lincs_build

With the intercom/doorbell position, it's really up to you as there wouldn't be any technical issue with installing the intercom in this position but on a practical level it might be a slightly awkward position for visitors to access the device.

If you do want to move ahead with a doorbell/intercom, we would probably recommend the DS-KV6113-WPE1(C) Door Station.

In regards to the difference between 4MP & 8MP, with the current generation of cameras there is very little difference between the image quality at night but you will be able to pick up more detail over long distances using the 8MP cameras.

As you mainly want to cover just the few metres directly around the house, you would probably be fine using the 4MP cameras in most positions.

With the Junction Boxes, yes you can remove the gasket from the side of the box and replace it with the plug from the rear of the box.

Back