01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do Hikvision NVRs have a fixed IP address?

Wired

Hi everyone, first post, new to networking and ip cameras.

My question is, do Hikvision NVR 's have a fixed IP.
I ask because I want to connect the NVR to my network and BLOCK IT
from actually connecting to the WAN / outside world.
I was advised setting a rule in my routers firewall was the best way to
stop the NVR from being available over the internet, and am assuming
this would require a fixed IP rather than a dynamic one.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Depends how you set the IP in the NVR. Generally, you want to set the IP as a fixed address using:
  • static IP, or
  • DHCP, but use DHCP Reservations in your DHCP Server so it's always assigned the same IP address
Then you can block that IP in your router.
And if you want to go the extra mile, you could block that specific MAC address as well. (probably overkill to do MAC address filtering though)

BUT there are a few gotchas. You'll want to think about:
  • access to a public NTP Server. Without access to an NTP Server, times will drift badly. Minutes per day is not unusual. So you'll want to allow UDP & Port 123. Or install your own NTP Server on your internal LAN.
  • access to any public DNS Servers. BUT your router can likely perform that function.
  • your personal access to the NVR from the outside world....... via HIK-Connect or via Port forwarding

Depends how you set the IP in the NVR. Generally, you want to set the IP as a fixed address using:
  • static IP, or
  • DHCP, but use DHCP Reservations in your DHCP Server so it's always assigned the same IP address
Then you can block that IP in your router.Sub-stream: H.265/H.264/MJPEG
And if you want to go the extra mile, you could block that specific MAC address as well. (probably overkill to do MAC address filtering though)

BUT there are a few gotchas. You'll want to think about:
  • access to a public NTP Server. Without access to an NTP Server, times will drift badly. Minutes per day is not unusual. So you'll want to allow UDP & Port 123. Or install your own NTP Server on your internal LAN.
  • access to any public DNS Servers. BUT your router can likely perform that function.
  • your personal access to the NVR from the outside world....... via HIK-Connect or via Port forwarding
Thank you @sportster
I since found out that the NVR has two IP addresses, one for the onboard NIC, which am not sure can even
access the camera feed and settings or just one or the other, but the second IP is for the the onboard Switch which I believe allows the cameras to talk to the NVR and communicate with the internal NIC.
This IP is changeable, people say to allow it to be assigned dynamically, then remove the tick from the box and it will remain static, and will not be over written or conflict with my network as it is on a different range.

I will proceed with caution, though I have just realised the people I bought the NVR from did not advise me correctly, and it may not have enough input bandwidth, 40mbs for four channels seems low, I thought this was 10mbs per channel which was why I did not go for an 8 channel NVR thinking the bandwidth was not shared over the channels but capped at 10mbs per channel and thus would not be of any benefit.
Now I will have to return the thing as soon as it arrives.

In my earlier post I was referring only to the LAN port..... which is the only port that is designed to be on a traditional home LAN & thus accessible to the outside world.

The internal NIC on the internal switch is not intended to be reachable by or installed on the customer's traditional home LAN. (You can do bastardized things & put it there but not recommended..... unless you really know WTF you're doing. e.g. do you know how to deal with / avoid 2 DHCP Servers on the same network ?)

Well I recieved my NVR, it is a Hikvision DS-7604NXI-K1/4PAcuSense NVR.
This is only to use two ip cameras for testing in my shed before I do my house.
The camera connected up and I got it all working.
But I can not access the cameras at their IP address, and I was able to do this
while waiting on the NVR to arrive, I ccould even use the live view feature and
now I can not.
Initially the camera connected to a poe switch, my computer also connected to that switch
and then a cable went from the switch to my router.
Now the camera is plugged into the NVR, and the network port of the NVR is connected
to my switch as is my computer, and I still can not connect to the camera over its IP in
a browser like before, can't ping it either.
I allowed the NVR to get an IP address dynamically then turned off automatic dns so the IP
is now static and it does not change with reboots.
Should I have connected the camera to my poe switch first, then from the switch to the NVR,
and then from the NVR to a laptop so I can view the camera on the laptop, or does the NIC in the NVR prevent me from accessing the camera connected to the NVR.
What am I doing wrong, I see settings in my NVR about setting up a virtual host, what is
that all about.
Any pointers welcome, thank you all.

Last edited:
  1. with the DS-7604NXI-K1/4P now in the mix, you're now implementing 2 unique networks. Each network must have a unique IP address range.
  2. the LAN port on the NVR is connected (most likely) to your traditional, primary home LAN. Network A.
  3. the 4 x NVR POE ports + the internal NIC on the NVR represent the 2nd network. Network B. Network B is TOTALLY isolated from Network A. (the NVR is NOT a router and the NVR is NOT a Level 2 "bridge/switch" between Network A and Network B.)
  4. cameras re-cabled from Network A to Network B, need to have a new IP address assigned from the Network B range.
  5. use the SADP tool on a PC/laptop to help sort out IP addresses:
    • cable the PC to a port on Network A to help sort out the devices on Network A.
    • re-cable the PC to a port on Network B to help sort out the devices on Network B.

Virtual Host, enabled on the NVR, provides a "relay" for your Browser from Network A to Network B and back..... in order to give one direct access to the camera(s). This permits such things as camera configuration changes without physically being on Network B.

If the NVR is at 192.168.2.100 on Network A, point your browser to the NVR & specify the appropriate port #:

For example::
etc.

Here's a better write up:

Hi everyone, first post, new to networking and ip cameras.

My question is, do Hikvision NVR 's have a fixed IP.
I ask because I want to connect the NVR to my network and BLOCK IT
from actually connecting to the WAN / outside world.
I was advised setting a rule in my routers firewall was the best way to
stop the NVR from being available over the internet, and am assuming
this would require a fixed IP rather than a dynamic one.

Any advice welcome, thanks.
Welcome

Do you use PC or Mac?

If the latter, also buy a PC

Thank me later

Back