01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Double NAT using 4G in a VPN?

mikeraut

Client has a farm with 4G signal but not possible to put in a PTP link to his office.

My idea is to install say 4 to 6 cameras at the farm. The configuration will be as follows:

FARM: Pole with solar panel , battery, 4G router and camera.

OFFICE: 4G router connected to NVR

PLAN: setup a VPN using the 4G network so that the FARM and OFFICE are in the same IP range.

Can this work, or have you a alternative way to deal with this . The client would also like to view via his mobile phone

Yes it will work.

Solar powered solutions that really worth aren't cheap

DIY solutions can lower the cost, but it require a lot of work and calculations. And in most cases dont really perform as imagined. But there are cases DIY solutions were made better than original solutions by manufacturers.

So far i was working with Hikvision solar powered 4g kit and they performed well. Had a customer customizied that kit with adding small wind turbine charging when there are windy seasons with not much sun. Works great.

If the 4G provider offers a static IP address and the 4G router offers the capability of VPN etc then this should technically work. Although to access on mobile phone, if you are using the Hik-Connect service it should work fine as that works via internet/cloud. If you want to connect directly/manually then you would have to do some sort of VPN config on the phone too.

Performance of viewing streams will depend on the speed/reliability you get from the 4G service as well as the bandwidth download/upload limits etc. But generally, even if you are streaming 6 cameras to another site 24x7 you are usually only streaming the low-res sub-streams and that may be fine, but without knowing the details it's difficult to say.

I have sites like this but with what I would call professional (read: expensive) 4G contracts with high limits, not cheap consumer 4G SIM routers or whatever.

An alternative is to open up some ports (don't use the defaults and add extra security such as source IP restrictions) then use NAT port redirection on the router (again you need static IP and router with that facility).

Back