01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-96128NI-I24/H Storage Questions

ged325

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a DS-96128NI-I24/H as we have multiple cameras (49 cameras mixed 1,2,3,4,8 MP) and need the storage capacity (calculations are ~145 TB for 40 days retention, 212TB for 60 days).

When I was talking to Hikvision they recommended doing multiple raid 5 arrays rather than just 1 big one. Does anyone have any experience running 23 drives in a raid 5 with a global spare in a hikvision device?

Also what kind of drives are the hx-hdd10te (and why are they so expensive)? Are they required or can we use WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk's?

Thanks in advanced.

Can any single Hikvision NVR run multiple RAID5 drive clusters?

Your storage calcs seem to have arrived at big numbers.
(40 / 60 days is probably a longer retention period than we usually do the sums for)
Frames per second has a very big impact.
As does the CODEC you use.

IIRC RAID5 tends to mean that you actually need a total drive capacity of twice what you plan to need/use.

Do you think Hikvision actually meant for you to spread the cameras across multiple NVRs?
e.g. purchase 2x 64-camera NVRs ...

Hi Phil,

No, it was multiple clusters on the same device. They specifically recommended the 96128 - which I agreed with and had picked out independently.

the 128 also allows for more bandwidth which is also a consideration.

From the quote the team gave us they indicated that this was possible, just didn't understand the reasons behind this recommendation.
From their email:

"We went with the 96128 for longer storage, as it had 24 drive slots. You will have 3 sets of RAID5, giving either (7x3) 210TB of storage if standard RAID5 or (6x3) 180TB if you want a redundant spare for the possibility of 2 hard drives failing at the same time."

Also from the manual of the 96128:

"Install at least 3 HDDs. If more than 10 HDDs are installed, 2 arrays will be created. To maintain reliable and stable running of the HDDs, it is recommended to use enterprise-level HDDs with the same model and capacity. "

Also any insights into the drives?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't follow their logic or their maths - it'd be best to respond and ask them to explain more fully.

The HDD10te appears to be a Hikvision-badged hard drive.
That's not something that is available in the UK.

We would go with WD Purple Pro drives, based upon many years of experience of very low failure rates in NVRs:

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice. Was looking at the WD purple as my first as well. I'll reach back out to them and have them explain. Will post my findings here.

Back