01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Firmware update help for Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU cameras?

ckcam1

Hi everyone, I'm new to Hikvision and was hoping for some clarification on the correct way to upgrade my camera firmware which is currently several versions behind the latest firmware.

I have an 8ch Hikvision (DS-7608NI-I2/8P) NVR with 6 x DS-2CD2347G2-LU cameras. They were purchased in January 22 and I updated the G5 units to 5.7.2_211109 which was the most current time firmware at the time. They are now being deployed and I have noticed that the latest firmware is several versions newer.

My understanding is that these cameras can be quite easily bricked and I was wondering if there is a specific upgrade path one has to follow? Or can I download the latest firmware and upgrade straight to that? The local Hikvision website (Australia) suggests the latest version locally is 5.7.12_230523.

Any advice on the correct way to update firmware that is several releases behind would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris

From 5.7.2 to 5.7.12 it should be fine to do a straight upgrade. I have never incrementally updated anything although I have seen some recommending doing incremental upgrades if it is a very different version. But often HikVision does not provide all old firmware for download anyway so it could be impossible anyway.

HikVision firmware is a nightmare, here in UK there is a portal for firmware which is utterly terrible to navigate/find anything on. However, it seems they now want people to look at the main UK website for firmware which is slightly less terrible.

From 5.7.2 to 5.7.12 it should be fine to do a straight upgrade. I have never incrementally updated anything although I have seen some recommending doing incremental upgrades if it is a very different version. But often HikVision does not provide all old firmware for download anyway so it could be impossible anyway.

HikVision firmware is a nightmare, here in UK there is a portal for firmware which is utterly terrible to navigate/find anything on. However, it seems they now want people to look at the main UK website for firmware which is slightly less terrible.

Thank you so much codlord! I'm all new to this and a little apprehensive but I've seen in some forums that upgrade pathways are used and I didn't know where to start...

Would it be fair to assume that the same applies for the NVR which is currently on V4.40.017_210830 and I can upgrade to the latest local file listed?

Yes, I've noticed the firmware portals are all over the place, not ideal...

Thank you so much codlord! I'm all new to this and a little apprehensive but I've seen in some forums that upgrade pathways are used and I didn't know where to start...

Would it be fair to assume that the same applies for the NVR which is currently on V4.40.017_210830 and I can upgrade to the latest local file listed?

Yes, I've noticed the firmware portals are all over the place, not ideal...
It's fine to skip minor versions but where the middle number is higher, you should update to one version within that. For instance going from 5.7.2 to 5.7.12 was fine as it's a .7 version still. If the newer version was 5.8.x, you'd still be ok to go to the latest version. However if the newer version happened to be 5.9.x, from 5.7.2 you would update to any 5.8.x version, before updating to the latest 5.9.x.

Now for your NVR, following the above you'll be advised to go through several versions. I'm thinking 4.40.017 might be an I series model? In the UK we'd need to go through a 4.50.x, 4.51.x, 4.60.x before finally loading 4.61.025 if we were following the advice.

It's fine to skip minor versions but where the middle number is higher, you should update to one version within that. For instance going from 5.7.2 to 5.7.12 was fine as it's a .7 version still. If the newer version was 5.8.x, you'd still be ok to go to the latest version. However if the newer version happened to be 5.9.x, from 5.7.2 you would update to any 5.8.x version, before updating to the latest 5.9.x.

Now for your NVR, following the above you'll be advised to go through several versions. I'm thinking 4.40.017 might be an I series model? In the UK we'd need to go through a 4.50.x, 4.51.x, 4.60.x before finally loading 4.61.025 if we were following the advice.

Thank you so much for the explanation JB1970, that makes sense now. I will update the cameras and see how I go.

With regards to the NVR, you are spot on... Its a DS-7608NI-I2/8P... So I would need to source the earlier files from Hikvision Europe at a guess? The Aus site only shows V4.60.005_230307 as the firmware for the particular device...

Thank you so much for the explanation JB1970, that makes sense now. I will update the cameras and see how I go.

With regards to the NVR, you are spot on... Its a DS-7608NI-I2/8P... So I would need to source the earlier files from Hikvision Europe at a guess? The Aus site only shows V4.60.005_230307 as the firmware for the particular device...
It would be remiss of me to recommend using the EU or UK portals for an AUS NVR. It's been discussed on here a few times and it's not clear what the differences are between regional versions or the implications of loading an incompatible firmware (potential 'bricking').

You're currently on 4.40.017_210330 and that's how I guessed it was an I series model. In the UK/EU we too have 4.40.017 for that model but the build date for ours is 4 months earlier - 201124 (yymmdd). Likewise your latest version is 4.60.005_230307 and the UK/EU version of that firmware is dated 220108. I can only imagine that there are differences between the regional versions.

It would be remiss of me to recommend using the EU or UK portals for an AUS NVR. It's been discussed on here a few times and it's not clear what the differences are between regional versions or the implications of loading an incompatible firmware (potential 'bricking').

You're currently on 4.40.017_210330 and that's how I guessed it was an I series model. In the UK/EU we too have 4.40.017 for that model but the build date for ours is 4 months earlier - 201124 (yymmdd). Likewise your latest version is 4.60.005_230307 and the UK/EU version of that firmware is dated 220108. I can only imagine that there are differences between the regional versions.
Hey JB1970, Thank you once again for chiming in :)

What you have highlighted are my observations also. The same versions are being used but seemingly tweaked and released a few months later. I am hoping that the only differences relate to numberplate recognition and that the local guys are just slow to adjust. I have read in other threads here that Aus guys have used firmware from the US that has worked fine for them. The problem is however that the US don't seen to have an upgrade portal and they also don't list this model NVR.

What I'm therefore missing is a 4.50... firmware to follow the update path you have suggested and that I've found on another thread here. Hikvision Australia give zero support and assume if you call them that you have grey market equipment, the resellers certainly don't go out of their way either which is disappointing. I've tried to contact mine for the third time in 2 months. I've seen other Aus users on here post similar issues.

I feel my only options are to have a $600 roll of the dice, hope for the best and:
i) Assume I can go from 4.40 to 4.60 using the local software since the Aus Hikvision site provides no upgrade path info or portal for old updates (contrary to Uk and EU). They do however provide a disclaimer that if you brick your unit there is no warranty despite no firmware support.
ii) Assume the UK /EU versions have minor adjustments, use one of your 4.50 firmware files and then upgrade to the Aus 4.60. file I have from the Aus site.

Ironically, whilst providing the discussed firmware link in the specific AU product page, if I try to access firmware updates on the support tab > software, it happily takes me to the Hikvision EN Global page and I'm seemingly offered the same 4.61... version as you are running in the UK/EU?

Any thoughts on which role of the dice you would take if the supplier doesn't come through again by the start of next week? :D

Hey JB1970, Thank you once again for chiming in :)

What you have highlighted are my observations also. The same versions are being used but seemingly tweaked and released a few months later. I am hoping that the only differences relate to numberplate recognition and that the local guys are just slow to adjust. I have read in other threads here that Aus guys have used firmware from the US that has worked fine for them. The problem is however that the US don't seen to have an upgrade portal and they also don't list this model NVR.

What I'm therefore missing is a 4.50... firmware to follow the update path you have suggested and that I've found on another thread here. Hikvision Australia give zero support and assume if you call them that you have grey market equipment, the resellers certainly don't go out of their way either which is disappointing. I've tried to contact mine for the third time in 2 months. I've seen other Aus users on here post similar issues.

I feel my only options are to have a $600 roll of the dice, hope for the best and:
i) Assume I can go from 4.40 to 4.60 using the local software since the Aus Hikvision site provides no upgrade path info or portal for old updates (contrary to Uk and EU). They do however provide a disclaimer that if you brick your unit there is no warranty despite no firmware support.
ii) Assume the UK /EU versions have minor adjustments, use one of your 4.50 firmware files and then upgrade to the Aus 4.60. file I have from the Aus site.

Ironically, whilst providing the discussed firmware link in the specific AU product page, if I try to access firmware updates on the support tab > software, it happily takes me to the Hikvision EN Global page and I'm seemingly offered the same 4.61... version as you are running in the UK/EU?

Any thoughts on which role of the dice you would take if the supplier doesn't come through again by the start of next week? :D
I'd probably be more inclined to risk the jump to the newer AUS version of the firmware. I've never had an issue skipping versions previously.

One thing to be aware of....There are some 7608NI-I2 NVRs that have been broken by newer firmware. It would be best to see if your serial number is one of the affected models before proceeding with updates. There's a particular version beyond which affected NVRs go into a continuous reboot loop and only Hikvision could resolve that.

It's discussed here but there's no info regarding serial numbers, just that it affects a small number of 7608's sold around 2015...

I'd probably be more inclined to risk the jump to the newer AUS version of the firmware. I've never had an issue skipping versions previously.

One thing to be aware of....There are some 7608NI-I2 NVRs that have been broken by newer firmware. It would be best to see if your serial number is one of the affected models before proceeding with updates. There's a particular version beyond which affected NVRs go into a continuous reboot loop and only Hikvision could resolve that.

It's discussed here but there's no info regarding serial numbers, just that it affects a small number of 7608's sold around 2015...

JB1970, your insights and advice have been amazing, thank you!

I was reading up on the issues people have mixing region firmware and it's a mine field... Some have had no issues, many others a world of pain so I will skip that option.

I also read up on the issue you alluded to above just last night. I see the version they have available for us seems to be safe but I'm rethinking updating altogether now. Like yourself, I feel the jump on local firmware is the safer option. I've reached out to the supplier and Hikvision Aus once more but after I sort out the cameras, I might leave it all status quo unless I see an issue requiring an update. I have downloaded the Aus 4.60.005 and I will attempt a jump straight to it if required.

Again, I can't thank you enough for all of your considered advice. If only the suppliers here were as responsive and helpful.

Chris :)

@JB1970 thought you might appreciate the response I received today from HIK Aust on my third attempt...

"Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information you provide.

1) You can directly upgrade from V4.40.... to V4.60...

2) Between V4.40... to V4.60... , there's no middle version. you could upgrade directly, and we'd remind that there's a risk during the upgrading. Please contact your product distributor tech support for help in case you brick your device. FYI

Kind regards"

Clearly, they have much confidence in their firmware with a warning like that :D

Back