01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Frequent HDD error when it's full on my HiLook DVR-116Q-K1?

ksio89

I administer a HiLook DVR-116Q-K1 DVR and there's a frequent issue where videos stops being recorded after HDD is full and Status changes to a very inespecific "Error" , even though "Enable Overwriting" box (Storage>Advanced Settings>Other submenu) is checked and HDD passes all tests, as depicted in the screenshots. In the second image, Self-test Type says Short Test, but I performed an Expanded Test, which didn't detect any errors. All videos are deleted when the error arises, and the only action I can take is format the unit, which keeps working until it's full again. There are no firmware updates for this model, and I'm not sure the HDD is faulty, because videos are recorded just fine after it's formatted, at least until it's full again.

Can this issue be caused by buggy software? I there anything left to check on the DVR interface? My guess is that the DVR overwriting functionality is not working correctly and it freaks out when the HDD is full, deleting all videos instead of simply not recording any more until there's space. FWIW, there was another issue where continuous recording was not working (I created a thread to report this issue), but after another error and a formating, it magically started working.

I could test another HDD, but it doesn't look like to be an issue with the storage unit.

HDD Management.jpeg

SMART Settings.jpeg

Bad Sector Detection.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a strange one. I'd try the following:
  1. Try toggling the setting for overwriting in Storage>Advanced Settings>Other. Although it's already on - turn it off, apply and turn it back on again, apply. It's a long shot but maybe that setting is being ignored as you say - toggling may make it 'stick'
  2. Factory reset the device and set it up again
  3. Try another disk, even a used one just to prove it's not a disk issue
You might want to try 3 before 2 if it'll take less time.

That's a strange one. I'd try the following:
  1. Try toggling the setting for overwriting in Storage>Advanced Settings>Other. Although it's already on - turn it off, apply and turn it back on again, apply. It's a long shot but maybe that setting is being ignored as you say - toggling may make it 'stick'
  2. Factory reset the device and set it up again
  3. Try another disk, even a used one just to prove it's not a disk issue
You might want to try 3 before 2 if it'll take less time.
Very late reply, but suggestion 1 actually worked! Videos now keep being recorded once HDD is full. Nevertheless, there are still some gaps where nothing is recorded despite the fact that I enabled continuous recording. As these gaps account for less than 5% of the day, so I guess that's the best I can get without going through the hassle of doing a factory reset. Thank you for the help.

Back