01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

"Germany advises against using Kaspersky software due to hacking risk"

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
I recall that Kaspersky anti-virus / firewall software has cropped-up a couple of times in the past in discussions with forum users, so just thought I'd share this News that I spotted today:

Germany’s Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) has warned against using Kaspersky antivirus security products due to the company being headquartered in Russia.

The BSI said it recommends switching away from any Kaspersky product to another vendor because the company could be forced by the Russian state to carry out offensive cyber operations.

FYI new comments from the UK's Cyber security experts at the NCSC:

Use of Russian technology products and services following the invasion of Ukraine

We've had enquiries from people worried about their home IT. It almost certainly remains the case that nearly all individuals in the UK (and many enterprises) are not going to be targeted by Russian cyber attack, regardless of whether they use Russian products and services.

If your personal laptop uses Kaspersky AV (or other products):

• it's highly unlikely to be directly targeted
  • it’s safe to turn on and use at the moment
However, you may need to move to a new AV product if Kaspersky itself becomes subject to sanctions, since the AV product would likely stop getting updates (and AV software is only effective if it's updated regularly).

Back