01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 Has anyone ever updated DVR firmware through iVMS-4200?

ksio89

I have a HiLook DVR-116Q-K1 DVR (or is it a NVR?), and iVMS-4200 (3.7.0.5) tells me there's a firmware update available, as depicted in the screenshot. Does upgrading software resets settings, or only downgrading? Context: I'm having an annoying issue where I can't access the DVR menu through Hik-Connect cloud service (web interface), as UPnP state for all ports is always invalid, even though UPnP is enabled and the necessary ports are actually open on the router. Sometimes soft/hard rebooting the DVR will make network ports valid again, but that's not a proper solution. Also remote playback is very stubborn and sometimes refuses to load at all, either via Hik-Connect app or iVMS-4200 client, forcing me to wait for it to work again when it feels like so.

I wonder if a firmware update might fix both issues? I wouldn't if there weren't any issues, but I'm getting very annoyed by these bugs.

Basic info iVMS-4200.PNG

iVMS-4200 NAT.PNG

Yes there's no harm in updating the firmware using iVMS-4200. I've had to do this a few times recently due to browser issues and compatibility with various camera firmwares. It won't default your recorder and all settings should be retained.

I doubt that it will fix the access issue you're having. If you are using UPnP in the DVR you shouldn't need to open any ports on the router, so long as UPnP is also enabled on the router. For best results turn off UPnP in the DVR and manually forward your ports in the router - that will be far more reliable (though I'd also change the 3 default ports of 80, 8000, and 554 to something random in the DVR network settings prior to forwarding them in the router)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but my question was moot in the end, because no firmware update was available. The Update button is just there to do what it's supposed if there was any available update. To be honest, on device info, "Firmware update" tab reads "Unavailable version", I just didn't pay attention.

Anyway, once I changed the default ports on DVR network menu, but then the DVR got not internet access, so I had to reboot it physically in order to reestablish access. After rebooting, I got access through the cloud, but after a while guess what, got invalid ports again.

"Firmware update" tab reads "Unavailable version"
That bit of the software has never worked. It is supposed to check if a new version is available but always says there isn't one even when there is. There may be a newer version but I don't use the Hiwatch/Hilook recorders and can't confirm for sure as I can't find your exact model on the download portal.

Anyway, once I changed the default ports on DVR network menu, but then the DVR got not internet access, so I had to reboot it physically in order to reestablish access. After rebooting, I got access through the cloud, but after a while guess what, got invalid ports again.
That's right you would lose access once you've changed the ports. What I described earlier was not changing the ports in the UPnP table. I was talking about switching UPnP OFF by unchecking the box above the table, then changing the ports in the Network Settings (it's on another page). Once they're changed you would set up port forwarding in your router to forward those ports to the internal address of the NVR.

Back